FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 5+ Year Gaming computer

Post Date: 2023-12-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Darkmantle View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darkmantle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New 5+ Year Gaming computer
    Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 1:10pm
Budget:
[$3,000 +/-$500]

Expectations:
[I want a 5+ year computer 8 year would be great but feels like I'm reaching, something with some longevity that can keep up with not only current game requirements but the next few years while still running on at least high graphics at 60fps+]

Usage:
[Daily usage on several games, anything from WoW to CoD to Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield and looking into the new Ark: Survival Ascendent]

Special Needs:
[Lots of storage space to switch between games as needed and I prefer a quieter computer but I'm okay with some noise especially under heavier loads]

Saved Ticket #: [4816128]

Open to any and all suggestions on this one as I've not really built a custom before I've always just gotten a prebuild from a store.
Jordak24 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Jordak24 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 8:36am
One thing I see is you will never use 64 gig of memory, 32 should be all you would need for most anything. Some of the other guys will clean up the rest for you I would think.Storage for one probably.

Edited by Jordak24 - 03 Dec 2023 at 8:38am
ApC
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 9:56am
Howdy and welcome to the Digital Storm (DS) family.

Looking at your config, you seem to have reached most, if not all your goals. Unless you intend to run memory intensive programs like animation creation, video editing, or top of the line graphics programs, you will probably do well with 32 Gb of memory.

With your budget, you may also wish to consider a Velox. The Velox case is a bit larger and makes it easier for folks with large(r) hands (like me) to do hardware upgrades.

Personally, I am a big fan of Windows nn Pro edition. I find that the Pro edition is easier to tweak for the performance I desire. (YMMV)

You did not mention consulting with DS staff. I found DS very helpful in configuring my Velox by ensuring that all of my hardware performance matched my goals and that the power supply was adequate for now and the foreseeable future.

If you are interested, I will show you my Velox config that fits (sort of) your budget. With a few tweaks it could easily meet all of your goals.  vOv

Edited by Theokritos - 03 Dec 2023 at 9:59am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 9:28pm
Not too bad. 64GB of RAM is too much. The Storage scheme isn't going to make you happy. Get a 1TB Samsung 990 PRO for your primary drive. You don't want a super-sized drive as primary. Move the 4TB Kingston Fury Renegade to Secondary and ditch the mechanical drive altogether. I think the last thing you want in your new computer is obsolete storage slower than molasses in January. You won't fill 5TB anytime soon, so I would wait to add more at a later date when it will be even more advanced.

I recommend the Noctua NH-D15 for CPU cooling. It will give temps rivaling the all-in-one, but will never fail completely like the liquid cooler must eventually. When the Noctua breaks down, you replace a fan. When the all-in-one goes, it's gone and must be replaced.

The OS "Boost" is a waste. You'll boot into Windows in well under 30 seconds without messing with it.

That's it. Case is personal choice. The Lumos is a good one.   
 Post Reply Post Reply