Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sbrady1987 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sbrady1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Aventum X Questions
    Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:43pm
Budget:
$5000-$5300

Expectations:
I know some people may say I could use the smaller computer models from DS but i really like the design of this case, paying extra for the cool RGB action going on with the 14 fans inside! Hoping to get some value out of it if i decide to do streaming and/or video and photo editing

Usage:
Gaming computer with maybe some future photo editing, streaming, video encoding use. Hoping for some 4k 60 fps action as well

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (250GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) (14 Fans Total)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (3x Boards)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: - No Thanks
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Questions:

1. For the water cooling options has anyone had issues with hard line tubing or is flexible tubing better? In the next question is important for swapping out parts since I really don't like the memory or storage options being offered on such a big computer. My other concern with it is if i have to get new video card down the road that the sizing will no longer be adequate due to new designs of future water blocks for future GPU architecture.

1a. How is maintenance on the water reservoir is it easy to drain out and fill if i decide to go the hardline option?

2. in regards to swapping out SSD M.2 or Memory after receiving it how does warranty work with that if i swapped out parts not on the DS site? I really wish their was G.Skill Trident options (like the YouTube demos sent out to reviewers) and more than 3000 MHz memory options. I also will be adding a WD Black Edition 1 TB instead of the default SSD.

Sorry for the long post here just curious what others have ended up doing and what you wished you had done instead. Thanks!!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:59pm
Welcome to the forum sbrady1987.   

First, you have put together a very strong Aventum X build.   A couple of important recommended changes to suggest...

*Suggest you change Drive 1 to at least 500 GB size, and switch to one of the Samsung EVO or EVO Pro M.2 NVME SSD's.    M.2 NVME SSD utilize the video PCIE bus on the mobo for 5x faster performance over the SATA III M.2 SSD.    Your C drive fills up fast for most of us...and Drive prices are reasonable these days in 500GB or 1 TB sizes.   Your mobo has 2 M.2 drive slots to use.

**The DS Aventum X case has the best cooling for Overclocking on the planet!   3 rads and 14 case fans are crazy cooling you will enjoy.   You have already selected CPU and GPU HydroLux Pro cooling...so I suggest you go for the full Stage 2 Overclock (+$99) on the excellent I9-9900K 8 core 16 virtual thread CPU and get all of the performance it was designed by Intel to give you.

**** I should mention that 16 GB Ram is all you need for gaming.   RAM is VERY inexpensive right now.   For future Editing & encoding work you will want 32 GB RAM.   

Your questions...lol.

1) Flex tubing is always the smartest choice.   Clear flex/clear fluid would be even more practical, as it's easier to see the flow and judge how clean the coolant is.   

Hard line tubing is not friendly or flexible, hard to work around, and when we hear of leaks here on the forum it is generally the hard line tubing not handling the bumps & knocks of shipping or movement very well.   Stick with the flex tubing and you get quick disconnects that will make life much easier.    Your top performance RTX 2080 Ti should last you a very long time...lol...but the DS custom GPU water block likely won't fit any other GPU and that's as expected with any GPU water block as they are all generally made to fit that card only.

1a) Again I recommend you stay with flex tubing for easy maintenance and safer shipping.   Hard line tubing doesn't get quick disconnects.    You should ask DS for a drain port to make draining coolant even easier several years from now.    You won't have much maintenance to do other than dusting out the rads & case, and topping off any normal coolant evaporation.   It should be many years before a coolant change would be required.   (My own rig has gone 7 yrs with coolant top-offs only)   Ask DS for a spare bottle or 2 of the coolant used.   You can't mix the one they use with other brand or type coolants.   

2) Parts you add yourself will of course not be covered by the DS warranty, but DS expects user changes.   DS branded parts will carry only the 1 yr parts warranty selection you paid for, while name branded parts also have manufacturer warranties that in most cases will be longer than 1 yr.   Upping the DS warranty to 2 or 3 yrs parts covers all parts used in the rig so it's a good thing to consider.

DS CAN order anything you wish if you ask them...if it's available, and you are willing to pay the cost and wait for it.    I can recommend the Corsair Vengeance RAM and the Corsair Dominator Ram... I run 4 DS rigs and I have used both...I stick with Corsair reliability.   Best warranties and very solid RAM.

Your Aventum X is going to be a top performer!   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 18 Aug 2019 at 5:07pm

Quote sbrady1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:07pm
Hey HockeyBuck,

Thanks for the very detailed response. Has me thinking some good ideas to add, I did not know we could add further parts to the system ill see if they offer it the same price as if i would have bought it. Im looking at 32 GB for VMs ill run for lab setups for some cert training ill also be doing.    . After your thoughts on hard line tubing def staying away form it Linus from Linus Tech Tips even said he prefers the flex tubing and clear coolant. Thanks again for this info you have been very helpful today!!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:57pm
My pleasure sir!    Lol...some things that look cool are just not real practical.
System will be a beast....btw...it comes in a ginormous wood crate you may have seen Linus deal with badly...lol ...don’t do it like Linus..     Also, DS only ships Aventum out on Fridays.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:36am
Welcome to DS.

HockeyBuck has touched on all the points to make that Aventum rock for a long time. Make sure you do request the drain valve. Don't believe anyone that says you don't need it. You do and will be grateful you have it.
Also do get the extra coolant since you will also need it at some time. Changing to a different coolant requires a lot of flushing the system to get rid of the old. (and you might have to drain for repairs - I did)

Enjoy. Big%20Smile

Keep us posted.

Quote sbrady1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:34pm
Hey,

So I just finished talking to a rep via email who said that the hardline system also has quick disconnect. I aesthetically like the hardline but know limitations if i wanted to replace the video card or motherboard. But knowing that the disconnect system is on hardline as well has me wanting to get that. I thought it was only on the flex tubing can anyway confirm that for me I will try calling tomorrow to get verification.

Thanks! Love the community forums here.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:19am
Hey it's your money my friend and you do have to be happy with your choices... We just provide some advice based on our experience.   BTW Hose has an Aventum, so he knows how it will go for you the best.   

Lol...Even if they do now install QD's on hardline, it's still like putting bars across your mobo.... when it's time to do something simple like dust or change/add RAM it won't be so simple... and bump into it at your peril...but yup it looks nice... Whatever choices you make, DS will do their very best to get it to you dry and in one piece.   I'm sure it will be a beast rig and look awesome....Keep us posted!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:45am
Hardline does look very top of the line. Soft tubing looks very purposeful. If I ever decide to build an lc system I will learn how to make the bends in acrylic tubing and use it. I am not particularly fond of fittings in every corner.
QDs on hardline. Hmmmmm.
I am sure most hardline equipped systems make it to their destination with no issues so knock yourself out! Big%20Smile
Enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply