New Build (09/10) 2000$ soft cap AMD/ATI

Post Date: 2010-07-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Robitussin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Build (09/10) 2000$ soft cap AMD/ATI
    Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:37am
Hey everyone!

First post Big%20Smile I recently found out about DS and have been obsessing over the configurations ever since. After 3 days of messing around I thought i would pass it along to you all and see if I could get some much needed feedback.

I'm working with a 46'' Sony Bravia 1080p 120ms hdtv.
I plan to use the rig mostly for gaming, FFXIV comes out sept 2010 and I want to have the rig before that point. I'm planning on upgrading a few things after the fact but need something other then my ancient pc atm for the game. I watch alot of movies on motionempire and surf the web and such but that's really the only graphic intensive thing I plan on using it for in the near future.

Some questions I have are:

whether or not my 2x 5850 will mean much due to my display?

I keep hearing that the performance fans are loud but if thats the only issue I don't mind the noise. I was thinking of asking for the rest of the spots in the HAF X to be loaded up with fans at DS. How much would this cost? Overkill?

I plan to upgrade later on to more HDD's and some bigger GPU's so the Crosshair IV is both for future and for the 2x 16 spaces.

I just bought win7 so I don't think i need the installed version. How big is the stripped and tweaked win7 version from DS? Much better?

I know that the Noctua is probably overkill in the HAF but I like to be overly cautious, and I'm hoping it will also fit the bulldozer if i upgrade.

Is there any glaring deficiency or maybe even a awesome build that is completely different but I just didn't look at?

I'm really only super firm on the HAF X, and a crossfire config with at least 2x 16 mobo. I'm pretty die hard ATI but AMD is new water for me.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated and taken into the fullest consideration.

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:38am
* I ran into the black hole I was hearing about. Here is the build ^^

Build-  421020

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHz) (Quad Core) (Black Edition) (8 MB Cache) AM3 Socket
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (AMD 890X Chipset) (SATA 6 and USB 3.0) (Socket AM3)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player (Play Blu-Ray and Play DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual HOT SELLER (ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: - No Thanks, Please test my memory, I will be responsible for software based support
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 1 Year Hassle-free Hardware Service

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 5:55am
You have a lot of unnecessary and even incompatible selections. The Noctua line is for Core i7 CPUs. And with such a high budget thats what you should be configuring, a Core i7 build, much better performance for the money.

The HAF 942 jips people with a lack of stock fans, which you have to purchase separately to get its air flow up to par along with it already costing +$42 more than a 932 anyway. So just get a HAF 932, its 3x 230mm and 1x 140mm fans will match a fully decked out HAF 942's air flow for like $100 less.

The Zalman fans are not only annoyingly loud but they also won't increase a HAF 932's air flow much, as they just replace one or two of the massive 230mm fans with numerous smaller 120mm fans. The money can be better spent elsewhere on the PC.

Ticket #421024, Price: $2048

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (40GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: X-25V Edition)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 1 Year Hassle-free Hardware Service

OS/apps on the SSD. Games/movies/music/media on the HDD.

Make absolutely sure you have a full 64-bit version of Windows 7. Not the 32-bit version, and not an upgrade from older Windows version. If so, then I guess you can unselect the Windows 7 option in that above config.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:22am
Dragon your build is obviously better, but jus thought I'd point out that the Noctua coolers do work with the AMD platform, unless DS just refuses to put it on for some reason.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Invader Mig

Dragon your build is obviously better, but jus thought I'd point out that the Noctua coolers do work with the AMD platform, unless DS just refuses to put it on for some reason.

Silly me, I never even realized. I've just been going by what the config option said. Checking Noctua's site I see they fit LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA775, AM2, AM2+, and AM3 sockets. Not bad.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:35am
I have been digging deeper into the forums here and have decided that the i7 is more what I'm looking for. My problem is I want a mobo with 2 pci x16 slots and to get that it seems to push my build beyond my price range. Also i read that a psu should have 2 +12v rails but the 750w DS certified didn't. I can't find quotes right away will edit with them in a moment. Any ideas?

thanks again for the responses
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Robitussin

My problem is I want a mobo with 2 pci x16 slots and to get that it seems to push my build beyond my price range.

Well firstly I wouldn't worry about needing two x16 PCIe lanes, even the beastly GTX 480 only loses an average of 2% performance on a x8 lane, and you don't have a PSU that could handle two 480s.

But if you wanted them that badly, the EVGA x58 Micro has two full x16 PCIe lanes. Hahaha

Thats why I got it originally, since I don't use any add on sound cards, network cards, etc. Turns out to be a pretty badass little board in a number of ways besides the two x16 lanes, in particular I've never ever seen any higher ICH10R (SATA II 3Gb/s) numbers than what Lilim's EVGA Micro puts out. She pushes 815MB/s, most boards max out at like 600-650MB/s. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Just be aware that if you put two dual slot GPUs in both of the x16 lanes they will cover and block the remaining few PCIe lanes and you will be effectively out of lanes at that point. So if you need more lanes for any add on cards just stick with the LE.

Also i read that a psu should have 2 +12v rails but the 750w DS certified didn't. I can't find quotes right away will edit with them in a moment. Any ideas?

Does this help? From this thread:

Originally posted by Alex

The PSU we have as 'DS Certified' is actually our own brand 'TechNPS' which we get manufactured by the same companies that make PSUs for all the top PSU brands.

It is not a poor quality PSU at all. It has great amperage ratings at the voltage levels for the price your paying. It's a great option to save money on and place the saved cash into other parts of your build.

Here's a spec list of the 750W model:

Tech NPS  750W PFC,80+,CABL.Manament ATX  

Series Turbo
Spec
Type ATX12V / EPS12V
Maximum Power 750W
Fans 140mm silent fan
PFC Active
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 4
PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin
SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready
Modular Yes
Energy-Efficient 80 PLUS Certified
Over Voltage Protection Yes
Overload Protection Yes
Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 47 - 63 Hz
Input Current 10A @ 115V, 5A @ 230V
Output
+3.3V@30A,+5V@28A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A, +12V4@18A,[email protected],[email protected]
Features
Connectors 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
6 x peripheral
4 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:08am
I was also wondering what you guys think of the AM3 socket and upgrade-ability in a few years compared to even the more expensive x58 cards. I'm trying to play around with the i7 build atm to see if i can get something with 2 x16 slots but I have heard terrible things about the asus rampage II gene. The next best thing compared to the crosshair iv is the p6x58d, but again the price difference is substaintal. I was hoping to get a board with 2x 16 pcie and one that is 6core ready. Like i said I want to upgrade later.

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:12am
Yes that was exactly the post i was looking for I passed up the micro cause I wasn't sure whether or not later I would want a NIC or something. I may look into it though. Most everything i hear about the pci nic is negative, but I was hoping to find a more mmo-centric perspective
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:18am
You mean a Killer Xeno Pro NIC or similar? I know the perfect way to describe those. Imagine the sound of someone gagging from sticking a finger down their throat, and then also imagine the sound of money being flushed down a toilet.

Nothing you can do on your end about your internet connection, you just have pay your ISP more for a better connection or get a better ISP altogether.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:18am
This seems closer although i think I would sill miss the haf x's dust filters and usb3.0 on front but 42$ difference i may as well get it. Puts me at a 2300$ but thats just another paycheck to wait... I need to crunch some finances again haha

2189$
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (40GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: X-25V Edition)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:25am
As far as benchmarks are showing about the only cards that can really saturate a x8 slot are the GTX 480 or an ATI 5970. Even then, you only lose about 1%-5% of the performance with a 480 on a x8 lane, depending on the game (2% average). The 5970 can apparently lose upwards of 15% performance in some games, but remember that is actually two GPUs on one lane. The 5870 loses around 1%-2%.

A motherboard with multiple x16 lanes would be ideal but you have to pay significantly more for one, so better to just take the LE with 98% of the performance and spend the saved money where it'll make a lot bigger difference.

And feel free to stick with the smaller Noctua selection. With stock fans they perform very similarly, only around a 3°C difference, so the smaller Noctua NH-U12P is a better bang for the buck.

As for dust filters, you can just buy your own, put the $42 towards it, they make ones specifically for the HAF 932. Then you get the filters and better fans to boot.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:25am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Nothing you can do on your end about your internet connection, you just have pay your ISP more for a better connection or get a better ISP altogether.

Yeh I wish there was something worth a damn in oklahoma city but the best i get is subpar compared to my speeds when i lived in ny.

With the board being smaller does it run hot?
Also Stage 2 noctua vs stage 1? Anyone with personal experience with both?

I see that nh-d14 on newegg it looks nice, but all the stage 1 says is 2 120mm fans so the difference is 120mm x 2 vs 140mm+120mm?

sorry in advance for blowing up the thread i was hoping for a response all night haha!

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:37am
Going to get on live chat and see what the extra fans installed would be. Since im saving 102$ from not needing win7 I can get the haf x, lol Unless 100$ would be better used elsewhere?

I really appreciate all your help.

1949$
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Windows OS: - No Thanks, Please test my memory, I will be responsible for software based support
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:41am

With the board being smaller does it run hot?

I've put poor Lilim's southbridge and northbridge through the wringer and back with high CPU overclock, PCIe overclock, beastly 480 GPU, and saturated ICH10R from SSDs, and every manner of benchmarks and stress tests, even a 24 hour Prime95 run for stability. No problems at all, it's a great little board.

Also Stage 2 noctua vs stage 1? Anyone with personal experience with both?

Justin has, I quote him directly when I say there's only about a 3°C difference between the two with stock fan configurations. Others have reported the same from Interweb searches. Thats why stock there isn't a big difference between the two.

I see that nh-d14 on newegg it looks nice, but all the stage 1 says is 2 120mm fans so the difference is 120mm x 2 vs 140mm+120mm?

The Noctua NH-D14 also has a bigger heatsink with more heat dissipation area, and is able to mount up to three fans. But yeah unfortunately stock it only comes with 1x 140mm and 1x 120mm fans.

sorry in advance for blowing up the thread i was hoping for a response all night haha!

No its fine, I'm the same way thats why I and other people here don't mind answering questions, with a big purchase its important to know where best to put the money and know what you're getting out of it. Plus most of us just like talking about and discussing computer parts anyway.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:45am

The Noctua NH-D14 also has a bigger heatsink with more heat dissipation area, and is able to mount up to three fans. But yeah unfortunately stock it only comes with 1x 140mm and 1x 120mm fans.[QUOTE]

Hmm... I'm not beyond installing the 3rd fan myself do you think it would be worth it at that point to stick with 932 and get stage 2 putting the money into the 3rd fan?

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:50am

Going to get on live chat and see what the extra fans installed would be. Since im saving 102$ from not needing win7 I can get the haf x, lol Unless 100$ would be better used elsewhere?

Oh right, I forgot about you not needing Windows 7. Cases are more a preference thing so I'm certainly not going to stop you from getting the HAF 942 if you like it, it's one of the better performance for the price cases. I'd just personally rather get a HAF 932, since the stock air flow is as good as a fully decked out HAF 942 and the 942 doesn't offer anything else most people would need, and then put the money towards other things.

In your case I'd put the money toward more SSD space (Intel 80GB), the bigger Noctua NH-D14, or the EVGA x58 LE. But again, that's just personal preference.
Lilim
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:59am

Hmm... I'm not beyond installing the 3rd fan myself do you think it would be worth it at that point to stick with 932 and get stage 2 putting the money into the 3rd fan?

Potentially. You can even have Digital Storm do it for you, they can even special order any fans you might want to use. But I wouldn't expect huge gains from it.

In the end it probably falls down to how much you want to try to push the overclock on your own. Even the smaller Noctua shouldn't have any issue doing 4.0GHz or less.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 8:01am
Still not sure about haf x i love the look but the difference in having a bigger ssd is tempting.

I will have to mull it over and go to sleep work in 10 hours.
Will check back in tomorrow thanks for all the great info!

Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 8:06am
Yeah no problem, just muse over it and check back later on maybe more people will offer some options.

If it came right down to it you only had a soft cap of $2000 anyway, so feel free to go a little over that if you don't mind saving up for just a bit longer. Then you don't have to worry about any coulda woulda shoulda later on.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 11:38pm
So I did some number crunching and if all goes as planned my true limit qiyks be $2521 which would include shipping and everything. That gives me a few more bucks to play with. I just got off work so I'm going to do some playing around with the configs and see what I can come up with. Any feedback or builds with that price range would be awesome.
thanks in advance to all
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 2:05am
Perhaps ticket #421212?

There really isn't much else worth getting beyond that, unless you're still set on the HAF X. Also you might want to ask DS for an extra fan on the Noctua NH-D14.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 2:14am
that's pretty much what I just did, I'm asking about the extra fan in the d14 and fans in the haf x and still not sure about going to performance fans I saw a few pics today with some red led fan replacements that i think i could live with, not too shiny, but rather cool looking. I sent the email just a bit ago waiting for response. Why do you choose the hitachi with 32mb cache over the 64mb cache caviar?

Edited by Robitussin - 10 Jul 2010 at 2:14am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 2:23am

Why do you choose the hitachi with 32mb cache over the 64mb cache caviar?

Just a 5-10% difference in performance between them, money is better spent elsewhere. When we're talking HDD numbers the difference is almost nothing, HDDs just don't get fast. Put it toward more SSD space or something instead.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 5:13am
Been chugging along trying to do as much reading as possible. I'm pretty much set on the build. Basically the same one as the recent one. Prolly gonna throw in the extra warranty. I'm now trying to find some suggestions on case fan replacements, and a good 3rd fan for the DH-14.
Case fans seem to be the harder of the two topics. I'm not sure if I want to/ should replace the lager fans throughout the case with 120mm ones. I can find tons of suggestions about stuff for the 932 but not enough about the 42 yet. Was wondering if anyone has some input about good replacement options? I don't care about noise so its all about the cfm.

As for the Noctua  "http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706036" seems to be the best I can find.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

*edit found a great guide for fans (http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/550325-guide-achieving-your-perfect-cooling-setup.html)

Figured out that something along these lines is what I want-

Noctua DH-14 optional fan (Delta FFB1212EH-F00 120mm Case Fan)
Front: 230 x 30mm  (Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm Case Fan)
Top: 200 x 30mm fans x 2 (Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm Case Fan)
Side: 200 x 30mm (Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm Case Fan)

opinions? Should i get a fan controller to manage sound? like will they be running all out the whole time or can I manage the voltage though some other means?

Edited by Robitussin - 10 Jul 2010 at 5:41am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 12:17pm
I am not an expert but I think you will be making a mistake changing your big fans for the 120's. If It was me I would go with the stock fans and if for some reason you don't like the lack of noise, you can change out the big fans for the 120's. Fans are not expensive and are easy to change.

I also don't understand the thinking of using a micro-mobo and a full sized case. You could drop back to the HAF 922 and save a few bucks.

Frank

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 5:09pm
I'm not using the micro card any more, Although it is good imo for the fact that is has 2 x16 bays still the HAF X is mostly for the fact that I like the look alot and would probably replace the mobo before the case.

I know the fans aren't expensive(http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110573%2050001445%201372726538&name=120mm) or hard to change but why not have them installed if I plan on doing it anyways?

Anyone with fans changed in HAF case?

Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition)

Edited by Robitussin - 10 Jul 2010 at 5:10pm

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 5:14am
I'm looking at the MSI Bang mother board and I like the idea of all of those pci-e x16 slots also with what seems to be a well made board. Still in the price range, anyone running this board or have some input on it?

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:12am
I'm still trying to figure out why on god's green earth you even care about x16 lanes when x8 lanes are at worst going to give you a 2% performance hit, and when you don't even have a power supply that can support more than one video card anyway.

That MSI Bang XPower motherboard looks like a complete farce to me.
  • Fake sound card bundled with it.
  • Fake SATA III 6Gb/s ports.
  • No PLX chip so the worst kind of fake SATA III 6Gb/s, they either suck bandwidth from the PCIe x16 lanes or they're just a complete failure of a fake and don't even have 6Gb/s bandwidth at all, i.e. flat out lie.
  • No NF200 chip, so it is not actually brimming with PCIe x16 lanes. You get x16/x16, x16/x8/x8, or x8/x8/x8/x8. NF200 is a requirement for quad-SLI, so you could only do quad-CF. But scratch that too, because the board doesn't actually have enough physical room for quad-CF anyway.
  • I'm finding numerous threads with multiple people all reporting they can't run any RAID array on the motherboard if there is any CD/DVD drives plugged into a SATA II port, the BIOS just freeze up. Go Go Gadget Obvious Flaw is Obvious.
The EVGA x58 LE has everything you need and then some for over $100 less. Fancy motherboards are such a terrible place to waste money on.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:27pm
everything is pretty much set not 100% sure on fans so I'm just going to see how the temps are and throw in some more fans if it runs hot. Gonna go for the delta fan in the 3rd slot in the NH-D14. Been waffling back and forth on the fans now for a while but I'm getting sick of it. I'm hoping some more people with HAF X cases will come out of the wood works before Sept and put down some good numbers on which fans make the biggest difference. I know I will prolly end up with at least one more on the gpu

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:06pm
I'll say it again, don't bother with that MSI Bang XPower motherboard, it's a waste of money.

It doesn't have a PLX chip, meaning it is going to be sucking bandwidth for the fake SATA III 6Gb/s directly off the video card PCIe x16 lanes.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:40pm
Hmm.. i thought I changed it from that one in that save. I'm going for the EVGA LE, your right about the bang. I didnt do enough research. I'm gonna just ask DS to send an extra set of mounting clips for the NH-D14 and play with the fan config my self, although I'm asking them to install a VGA Fan Duct: 120 x 38 mm fan x 1(Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm Case Fan). Other then that unless something groundbreaking comes out within the new couple months... which im sure will, I'm pretty happy with the set up. Thanks a ton for all of your help with everything Dragoon.
"http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=421726"

thats the build 421861

Edited by Robitussin - 13 Jul 2010 at 12:52am

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 12:14am
I was going through a few things and I ran across the EVGA warranty information from their website. Are all the boards that DS installs (EVGA ones at least) under the "The EVGA limited lifetime warranty is only eligible for part numbers ending in: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX. (with product registration 30 days from purchase" Also do they give you the registration information? or register it? I'm also going for the EVGA 480 for consistency in mfg and was wondering if that too would be within the lifetime warranty.  
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 12:38am

Hmm.. i thought I changed it from that one in that save. I'm going for the EVGA LE, your right about the bang. I didnt do enough research.

Ticket #421793

Oh okay.

Config 421793 looks great, the 1250w PSU will let you run two 480s or pretty much any other two GPUs that come out any time in the next few years.

As for EVGA products, I know for their Step-Up program you're supposed to register them within 30 days after receiving your product or PC with said product from an authorized PC builder (of which DS is), so I'm guessing you'll probably have to register them yourself for the lifetime warranty as well.
Lilim

Quote Robitussin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 12:55am
You have to register for the step up program as well? I was asking more for the limited lifetime (http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/) since it only covers the highest price parts that end with certain letters. I was also looking into the 480 and was hoping for the EVGA 015-P3-1485-AR since it seems to have much lower temps then the previous models.

BTW you think the 1500 is overkill? I read up briefly about the enermax and a few people had some issues with the lack of rails. I could crunch the 1500 into the budget. I'm really kinda hoping corsair will put out a 1250hx by sept haha : D

Edited by Robitussin - 13 Jul 2010 at 12:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>