Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Justintime2kill View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Build Advice
    Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 10:10pm
Hey everyone I will be purchasing a new PC soon and I heard so many great things about DS, so I figured I would give them a shot. I am just looking for some advice on what to buy, here goes the details.
My budget needs to stay under $1900.
I mainly play games, mostly things like WoW, Rift or Starcraft. I would like to play on ultra with no problems.
Also, I will be upgrading my monitor and was wondering if anybody could recommend a decent 1920x1080 display, somewhere between 22 and 30 inches.
Here are 2 configurations I set up : 504430, 504431.
Sorry for all the questions, lol, but is there a big difference between the spec ops and black ops. Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by Justintime2kill - 19 Mar 2011 at 10:11pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 11:45pm
Here you go Ticket# 504494 --- $1690 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the side, so you endup with 3 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

this build is more powerful then both your builds, and cost the same as your config with the higher price.

keep in mind these all can't do sli.

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 10:14am
Thanks, I am waiting for my taxes to come in to order it. That setup would definitely play that games at max? Also, would adding a SSD be a big improvement or a waste of money. Any recommendations on a good monitor? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff, what is keeping it from going sli if I wanted to down the road?

Edited by Justintime2kill - 20 Mar 2011 at 10:17am
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Justintime2kill

Thanks, I am waiting for my taxes to come in to order it. That setup would definitely play that games at max? Also, would adding a SSD be a big improvement or a waste of money. Any recommendations on a good monitor? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff, what is keeping it from going sli if I wanted to down the road?

with rift atleast at 1920 if ur gonna set the game on "custom" and turn everything up the 570 will do around 30 fps

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 2:43pm
I'm mostly concerned with WoW, that being said I want to purchase a PC that will last me awhile before I need to upgrade.Also, about the SSD, I wanted to know if it gave significant speed boosts to the OS and games because right now it takes about 2-3 minutes for my PC to start up and its really annoying. It is incredibly old by the way. Thanks in advance for all your advice, I just want the most bang for my buck. It is possible to go above my previous 1900 budget if it is really worth it. Thx again!  

Edited by Justintime2kill - 20 Mar 2011 at 2:44pm

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 2:46pm
Another question I have is would it be worth it to pay for a higher overclock because like I said I am a noob? Thanx for your responses guys, I am really excited to get a DS system and, like I said before, want the most bang for my buck.

Edited by Justintime2kill - 20 Mar 2011 at 2:48pm
Treelox View Drop Down

Quote Treelox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:07pm
An Intel SSD will make your jaw drop when you first see how much it makes things zip on your machine.  If you are worried about bang for buck in regards to your SSD get a decent HDD now and in a few months buy the soon to be released 3rd gen Intel SSD's.  They will have a much better price point.  Then just move your HDD to your 2nd drive spot for data purposes.

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:20pm
Thanx again for the advice!
DST4ME is there a specific reason you picked the red lighting?

Edited by Justintime2kill - 20 Mar 2011 at 11:36pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:53am
intel ssd is what you want and it will make boot/load times much faster, it will make os go a bit faster cause most of use is in 4k size and ssds kill at that range, its also important to balance the power of the pc, you see lot of people load up on gpus but not give proper cpu/hdd/ssd power, best performance comes from balance power, gpu/cpu/ssd.

that being said it does not have to start being a balanced pc, you can get a good setup like the one I mentioned and then add a ssd later to make it balance, and enjoy fast speeds.

In a few month buy a ssd and use that for HDD1 for OS/Games/Apps, and push the 500gb to HDD2 and use it for storage, to move everything in one shot (os/apps/games/etc) clone the current drive to the ssd, you can follow my clone guide here

what is keeping you going from sli down the road is the psu and mobo, they need to be both upgraded to have sli support.

Higher oc will help with everything else but in gaming depending on the game it will make little difference.

I chose the red color cause the pic you see in teh config section is not what the case looks like, look at the text below the pic what does it say?

the stock case has one red led fan in the front, so the stock theme is red.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Mar 2011 at 2:54am

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:55am
Looks like I will go with the build you suggested and add a SSD later, will wait for the 3rd gen SSD's like Treelox mentioned. Is it possible to have DS change the fan to blue? I really want it to match my keyboard and mouse(which glow blue).

Thanks for the clone guide.

Is it true that it is better to have 1 powerful card rather than 2 lesser cards in Sli/cf? If that is the case then I could just upgrade the card down the road.

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:41pm
So I think I am going to get a bigger psu and upgrade the mobo, that way if I want to sli in the near future I can. I plan on buying the new Intel SSD when it comes out and probably will be adding some RAM as well. Like I said before, my main concern is playing WoW and SC2 on ultra. Let me know if I did this right or if DS veterans have any advice. I don't want to place the order then kick myself in the face Oops(if thats even possible) for setting it up wrong.

Ticket Number: 505541
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,016.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=505541

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)  
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
Internet Access: Wireless-PCI N 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:06am
Few things i would change.

I would change to the 1000W corsair power supply.

Leave the fans stock for the 922, the zalman fans they use are loud.

The d14 is a great cooler if you have it in the budget to go for overkill i wouldn't mind keeping it but if ur tight on money the u12 is witin 2-3 degrees C of the d14.

Edit- You dont have the system liquid cooled so that UV glow option cant be selected

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 22 Mar 2011 at 12:06am

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:44am
Thanks for the info Rice.
After looking around all day I do not see the need to go Sli so I should stick with the 750W psu. I don't do anything crazy, just play wow and SC2. These games work on my current pc( Which is a 4 year old gateway piece of garbage), I just want to increase my frame rate and be able to play on max settings.

My problem is the more I sit on this site the more I want all the cool looking sh*t that I probably don't need. I see that you have the Assassin, after looking at all these cases I have fell in love with that thing.

The UV glow was an accident, meant to put blue.

Edit- It's not that I'm tight on money I just want to make sure I'm getting what I need. I tend to want to put everything on it even if it's not necessary. This is why I need all you guys help. Plus every buck I save here will help me get a bigger SSD when the new gen intels come out, and I would like to upgrade my monitor to 1080p.

Sorry for writing such lengthy posts but I'm so pumped to get a nice rig, I feel like a kid in a candy store lol.

Edited by Justintime2kill - 22 Mar 2011 at 12:48am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:50am

Thanks for the info Rice.After looking around all day I do not see the need to go Sli so I should stick with the 750W psu. I don't do anything crazy, just play wow and SC2. These games work on my current pc( Which is a 4 year old gateway piece of garbage), I just want to increase my frame rate and be able to play on max settings.My problem is the more I sit on this site the more I want all the cool looking sh*t that I probably don't need. I see that you have the Assassin, after looking at all these cases I have fell in love with that thing.The UV glow was an accident, meant to put blue.Edit- It's not that I'm tight on money I just want to make sure I'm getting what I need. I tend to want to put everything on it even if it's not necessary. This is why I need all you guys help. Plus every buck I save here will help me get a bigger SSD when the new gen intels come out, and I would like to upgrade my monitor to 1080p.Sorry for writing such lengthy posts but I'm so pumped to get a nice rig, I feel like a kid in a candy store lol.

yea alot of stuff we dont "need" but we want it =). The corsair 750w with a single gtx 570 would be more than plenty. Dont know what resolution ur gaming at but a single 570 would be perfect for those games.

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:57am
Right now I'm at 1440x900 but I would like to go 1080p. One last question and I will leave you guys alone I promise.
Is there a big difference between the i5 and i7 for gaming?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:59am

Right now I'm at 1440x900 but I would like to go 1080p. One last question and I will leave you guys alone I promise.Is there a big difference between the i5 and i7 for gaming?

for gaming nope. Ask all the questions you need=)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:43am
your last build needs to change to this:

Here you go Ticket# 505706 --- $1946 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)

for gaming in some games there is not difference between 2500k and 2600k and in some games there is 6 fps or higher difference, it all depends on the game, mainly difference is low, but for everything else the 2600k makes a difference.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Mar 2011 at 2:45am

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 1:02am
Ya, I suppose it's better to have it and not need it than need it and be screwed. Plus, this way I can go Sli if in the near future I need the power. Can DS change the stock red fan to blue?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 1:05am
front led fan is actually 230mm red led

haf 230mm blue led fan, you need to ask DS specifically to use that fan and change it.

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 4:21pm
Thank you guys for all your input! Seeing as how I don't really play graphics intensive games I'm going to stick with the single 570 and the 750w corsair. The money I save I will put towards one of those sexy looking dell ultrasharp monitors!
My current PC has a 8400 gs so this will be a ridiculous upgrade for me lol.

Is it hard to install more ram? I would like to add more myself along with the gen3 intel SSD when they come out. If anyone could tell what kind I need, that would be awesome.

Would it be worth it to go to next stage of OC( I have no clue how to do this myself).

Is it worth the extra $16 to get the WD Caviar?

Is the HAF X better than the 922?

Thank again guys, without your input I probably would have wasted money on crap I didn't need.

Edited by Justintime2kill - 23 Mar 2011 at 9:52pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 2:24am
ram is easy to install so is the ssd, the ram has less steps tho, your most time consuming thing would be cloning the drive to the ssd.

we have to wait and see the gen3 intels and see which ones are good, then we can tell you.

only the 1TB black caviar has the good speed.

the haf x is bigger and if you add the extra fan like I mentioned you will endup with 4 x 200mm fans vs the 3 x 200mm fans of 922.

Our pleasure and good luck

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 3:06am
Ya, the haf x is growing on me. I like all the room it has inside.

I meant to ask what kind of ram? I shouldn't have put my question after my comments on the ssd lol.

You guys have been a huge help, now I just need my damn check! Frustrated
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 3:08am
240 pin ddr3 dual channel 1600MHz ram.

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 9:08pm
Still waiting for my moneh! lol I ordered the dell u2311H ! So my res will def be 1900 x 1080!

For the ram should I splurge on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145296 (Corsair Dominator 2x2gb) or get something cheaper?

I'm driving myself crazy waiting and going back and forth between builds with the 750 and 1000W psu. I dont want it if its not needed, but on the other hand, having the ability to sli if I wanted to would be nice.

Will there be any problems fitting sli in the HAF 922?
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 9:44pm
Never splurge on expensive memory, unless you have nothing left to spend it on in a rig (which is pretty well impossible given the cost of some top end storage solutions), almost no performance gains to be had past a certain point.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 10:09pm
sli/cf in 922 is fine.

as dragoon said, don't waste money on highend ram, just get what you need as you will not notice teh difference.

you gonna love that u2311H

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 2:04am
Do the brands of the memory need to match?
I ordered 2x2g 240-pin ddr3 dual channel 1600mhz by a-data, but can easily return it.

Would it be wise to go with 2g and add 4 myself?

Trying to save money so I can go with the config that will let me sli later.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 2:20am
The brands do not need to match, the memory sticks do not even need to be rated the same, they can have different rated speeds and timings.

However you still want to get something close to what you're adding to, everything has to run together at the same speed and timings so they're only going to manage the performance of the "weakest link," so to speak.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 2:25am
with the SB platform its best to move in from 4GB(2 x 2GB) to 8GB (4 x 2GB)

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Mar 2011 at 2:26am

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 7:28pm
So I finally am ready to order! After putting a lot of thought and research into it I decided to not go the route of sli. When the time comes I can just get a new gpu.
I have to wait till Wednesday so I can call them because a portion of this will need to be on credit. Anyways here is what I shall be purchasing!
Ticket Number: 510168
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,788.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=510168

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.5GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)

I will add the haf 200mm non led fan to the side and have them switch the front led fan to the haf 230mm blue led fan.

I want to again thank you guys for all your help! you guys are awesome!

p.s. I am upgrading from an Athlon 64 x 2 4200 with 2gb ram and a Nvidia 8400 gs, so I;m sure this thing will blow me away!

Edit- Meant to put HAF X, and add fan to top.

Edited by Justintime2kill - 28 Mar 2011 at 8:20pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 8:13pm
LOL you are in for a shot of y our life

build looks good, just fyi, some games at certain res, need sli to run at highest settings and high aa and etc.

Our pleasure and good luck

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Mar 2011 at 8:13pm

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 8:27pm
Ya but I dont play shooters or anything like that on my pc, just WoW, SC2 and other RTS games.

I am going to follow the advice you gave sinani (I believe that was the name lol) and call sarah and email the links to the fans.( I want the blue ones!)

I'll update again when I order.

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 2:00am
Just found out that a friend has a 1tb WD caviar black HDD that he never used and would give to me!!!!!

Any word on when DS is getting the gen3 intel ssd? I would love to grab one of those and add the other hdd myself!

Is hooking up that hdd hard to do?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 2:15am
ram/gpu/hdd/ssd/media drives are all easy to do, very easy to do for someone who has never done it before.

that is great news on the 1TB BC

Quote Justintime2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 2:27am
Ya, I kinda lucked out there lol. I really wanted to order tomorrow, hopefully they will get the gen3 intels soonDrooling

BTW- monitor came in today....haven't hooked it up tho... don't want to disgrace it by connecting it to this piece of garbage lol!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>