New Build Advice

Post Date: 2020-12-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Build Advice
    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 2:01pm
Thoughts on the below?

Mostly for gaming (AAA titles, WoW etc) at 3440 x 1440 / 144hz. Ram is likely overkill, but I typically only upgrade every 4-5 years.

I currently have a 2 TB SSD that is full with games. Thoughts on this vs a HDD? I just don't want to end up with games that are dependent on a SSD (i.e. Rust) to load in any sort of reasonable amount of time.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 Ghz <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 860 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
DigitalCow View Drop Down

Quote DigitalCow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 6:43pm
I would say that the 1000 watt PSU is a bit much; you can probably do with a the 850 watt PSU. Also, it seems like the config has the liquid cooling. I've never been a fan of liquid cooling, preferring air cooling through the 'ole-fashioned and unsexy heat-sink and fan, but from what I have been reading, liquid cooling can be a pain to maintain. If the heat-sink and fan is not available for your config, then you may want to consider the all-in-one cooling solutions instead.

Regarding SSD vs HDD, I would recommend SSDs for the performance. Perhaps the only time when you may wish to consider HDDs is if you happen to be the paranoid type. In HDDs, you can use various utilities to wipe the hard drive through a series of passes, and it has been generally accepted that it will likely render the data un-retrievable through this method. However, as SSDs is a different technology, the same wipe methods traditionally used on HDDs are no longer as effective to wipe out data.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 5:32am
First of all, I'm compelled to inform you everything Intel is coming on the PCIe 3rd Generation platform. AMD has been PCIe Gen 4 for a year, and the 5000 series of processors is considered equivalent or better than the corresponding Intel proc. Every part you might add going forward will likely be a PCIe 4 part, somewhat gimped on your PCIe 3 board. If you are an Intel only kinda guy, it's fine with me, and the differences won't kill you, but I had to let you know.

You will NEVER use 64 GB of RAM for gaming in the lifetime of this system. That's looking out way past 4-5 years. 32 GB will get occasional use, but with 64, half would stand idle all the time.

Likewise, you will waste all the extra watts in the PSU. An 850W will have something on the order of a spare 250W for a more than comfy overhead IMHO.

Unless you can't install your own SSD at some point, you pay a hefty premium for the very large ones here above market. Just so you know.

The internal lighting is free, so....
 Post Reply Post Reply