FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Build.. First custom!

Post Date: 2017-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThomasH View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ThomasH Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Build.. First custom!
    Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:13am
Budget:
4500-5500

Expectations:
Single 4K monitor possibly Dell U2718Q. Fast processing ,reliable back up and storage of 6TB of photos,video and music. Cutting edge upgradeable machine

Usage:
Editing and viewing 4K footage from Sony camcorder, GoPro.Raw Canon,Sony files, Possible gaming although I don`t do it now. I think Im ordering more of a gaming setup but I don`t get paid to edit photos or video, and this is the first time I can afford to do a custom build.Probably overkill but never had anything close.
Special Needs:
About 6TB of files to acess. I would like to store and backup these on this machine along with other options.The configurator says I can`t add a RAID because the DS restore wont work?? Do I need fans with liquid cooling? Is it a good idea to add mild overclocking to CPU and GPU? Not fully understanding scratch disc .Is it a second fast drive to work with C drive? Was thinking full tower for future room or upgrades if needed
Thanks for any suggestions

Saved Ticket #: Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1758340     
$5,257.00     $5,257.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W EVGA 1000 GQ
Expansion Bay: TPM Module (Trusted Platform Module)
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray & DVD Multi-Drive (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (6x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.6GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Logitech Media Combo MK200 Keyboard and Mouse
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)
Hide Configuration Æ
1535562     -- NVIDIA Bundle - Shadow of War (Digital Code)     1          

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:36am
Change the Restore to CD only, which is what we recommend anyway, to allow RAID.   Restore file is nice but the CD gives you fall back is the drive fails.

Liquid cooling has its own fans to cool the radiator.   You also want other case fans to cool the video card, motherboard, etc.  So, yes, still need the fans.

I wouldn't bother with the overclocking, esp. the gpu.   The cpu already Turbos to 4.7.

Scratch disc is a dedicated space on the SSD or HDD to store temp files in case your ram is used up.   With 32gb ram you should be good, but all depends on the productivity tasks you'll be using.  

Build looks good.  If you decide to game on 4K, and want to max visuals, an sli setup would be needed.   A single video card only needs a 750watt psu, but the 1000watt is for sli down the road if you thought you might.

Big%20Smile

ThomasH View Drop Down

Quote ThomasH Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:46am
Thanks for your insights.Trying to understand the interplay between components for the first time.. This will help.A few more questions: If you bump the RAM up to 64GB or more would I only need 1 boot drive and no scratch disc? Is SLI something that is still very relevent? Just asking because in my reading someone said it is on the way out or not as necessary. Also would stepping down to say the dual 1070 card from the 1080Ti to save $$ be a big difference in the maximum resolution?Would I gain anything using either cards in SLI outside of just gaming? Lastly ...do you recommend having a RAID storage inside the case or in an attached NAS? Regards Thomas
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:25am
Having sufficient ram to handle your files is better than a scratch disc, both in speed and wear and tear on the drive.   How much ram would depend on your tasks.   I couldn’t answer that.

Sli is still relevant and is still needed for high end gaming on 4 k for example.   It still works but the scaling of it depends on the game.   Scaling is the percentage of the 2nd drive that will actually be used, so to speak.   Even just 50% scaling on the 2nd card helps with smoother frames.

Sli gtx 1070 is stronger than a single 1080ti, but I would opt for a much stronger single card just because of the scaling issue, added hardware that can go wrong, etc.    But sli will still give better frames with certain games.   Tough choice sometimes.   

Can’t answer the external vs internal question.

ThomasH View Drop Down

Quote ThomasH Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:06pm
ThankYou!!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:05pm
As bp said forget scratch disk, just go with m.2 ssd where you want the speeds and you are covered, between m.2 ssd and ram a scratch disk is pointless IMHO.

Also as bp mentioned, sli is good but you always want a single GPU solution whenever possible, it offers best performance with least trouble.
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:57am
Great Build

Please Post Review With Photos FTW

Should really perform well for you
 Post Reply Post Reply