FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New build for returning DS fan

Post Date: 2022-08-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bishop View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New build for returning DS fan
    Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 6:42am
Coming back to DS since my last purchase about 12 years ago. Looking for a PC that will last 10 years or so Smile

Primary use is for gaming. Flight sims (New MS FS, New IL2, DCS), Uboat, Strategy games, and some FPS. I would like to get in to VR for the flight sims.

I am not sure if I will get a 4K monitor or not, but might in a few years. Currently use a 1080p 24" but will go to 27" 1440p.

Budget: $3k-$4.4K

Current build: 4468801

Here are some questions.
1. Should the MB be updated?
2. Do I need more cooling?
3. Should I overclock the GPU?
4. Is MS Windows 11 Pro better for gaming or not?
5. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Edited by Bishop - 08 Aug 2022 at 6:51am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 4:41am
t's not a bad build going in. There's a couple of issues you might consider dialing back a bit. The CPU selection is way overpowered for gaming. The best choice, believe it or not, is the i5 12600K which will last years. The compromise is the 12700F, which is overpowered still, but not a total waste of $$. I don't think you'll have need of a 1000W PSU, but your choice.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-12600K/4118vs4120

1. The mobo is fine.
2. the cooling will be excellent in that case.
3.NEVER overclock your GPU unless you like lots of extra heat and noise in exchange for 5 FPS.
4. No.
5. I think you have chosen the best bang-for buck GPU available. It will kill at 1080p and yield 90+ FPS at 1440p in the vast majority of games. With the next gen Nvidia cards due in under 6 months, I wouldn't invest more right now. I think you'll be happy with that card until you decide what to do about 4K. I do not think 4K is worth all the extra $$ for the results. All the extra pixels on a relatively small screen don't do much for what the requirements are to power them. 2K is the sweetspot both visually and moneywise up to 38" IMHO.    

Edited by Cretae - 09 Aug 2022 at 4:45am
Bishop View Drop Down

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:06am
Thank you for your suggestions.

Does it make sense to wait 6 months for the next gen Nvidia cards? I have waited this long what is six more months Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:57pm
A very wise man once told me... "If you're always waiting for the next thing, you'll never have any thing."

The choice, of course, is up to you. Just food for thought.   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Snaike

A very wise man once told me... "If you're always waiting for the next thing, you'll never have any thing."

The choice, of course, is up to you. Just food for thought.   

I completely agree. Buy when you need/want. If you can wait: wait.

Additionally:

• Hardware doesn't (typically) get worse. Demands often increase. However, trying to predict those (i.e. "future proofing") is very risky -- I say this from personal experience.
• To me, making purchase decisions based on rumors is also a significant risk. Indeed, we can create reasonable assumptions according to historical data, such as prior release dates, durations, etc. Although, if you're going off hunches, hopes, dreams, speculation, or possibly outdated leaks anyway, I suggest circling back to the beginning/quote.

Edited by MrCheetah - 09 Aug 2022 at 3:58pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 6:15pm
You're very welcome!

If you're enjoying gaming with no major issues, I think it's worth the wait. The last gen was a quantum leap forward, and this time around promises the same thing. It's hard to know what prices will look like, but you can bet the 4060 Ti (or whatever they call it) will be a lot better than a 3060 Ti is, and "should" come in around the same price point or less. More bang for your bucks. Just be aware the top cards will be released first, and there will be a longer wait for the less pricy but still extremely capable 4070 and 4060 models. My best guess from the speculation I've seen is the 6 month time frame would be about right for those cards.

Again, if you're okay with what you have, I'd wait. If you're getting frustrated, the 3060 Ti is a heckova card, and will carry you a long way past the new releases. There may be a CPU release in there as well, but it's not worth waiting for. The 12600K is a great gamer with a very good looking lifespan IMHO.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:56pm
Welcome back Bishop. Awesome

The next generation of hardware (cpu and gpu) appears to need more juice and although the mfg are trying to go efficient and lower power requirements the fact is that the power needs are going up. You might not need a strong psu now but in
the future you could be limited as to upgrades if you also have to change the psu.

Windows 11 Pro is geared for enterprise users with some additional security options and controls. Most are beyond me to understand but I gotta have them. Drooling

Enjoy.

Smile

Edited by hoserator - 10 Aug 2022 at 2:24am
Bishop View Drop Down

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:15pm
Thank you again everyone for your input. I think I am going to wait for the new cards. I have lots of games to keep me busy. Just can't play any of the new stuff Smile
I will circle back with an updated config. when the new cards are out.

Cheers!!

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:02am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 1:05pm
So nice to see Bishop again. I still can't believe that I disappeared for years from the Forum and thanking about upgrading brought me back too. After getting my new system in December replacing my 12 year old system, I realized that I had been missing the great fellowship that the Digital Storm Forum provides.

There are quite a few decent people on the Forum besides myself. :-)

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply