New build, help needed.

Post Date: 2018-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DarkSydeElement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New build, help needed.
    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:42pm
I am starting to look into building my 2nd rig from DS. What I am looking for is a unit to be able to rock out games at max/high settings with out any issues and to be able to last as long as it can. I have two 27" Dell 2k G-sync monitors, and mounted in the middle I have a 40" 4k TV I only use for watching movies. I want to be able to jump right into the newer games coming out such as Anthem etc. I like to play a game, run discord or chrome and watch a movie at the same time. It would be nice to be able to stay under budget so I can upgrade my mouse,key board etc. My main questions, is the new i9 really worth it for gaming vs the i7? In the past I've always picked or be advised by some of you that it was not worth it. For only 2k gaming..the 1080ti able to do it or is it worth the extra money/wait time for 2080 or 2080ti? Keeping the unit cool with out liquid cooling able to be done? Right now I have a Velox with no LQ and two 980's sli and they seem to get pretty hot. Please add some advice to it.

Budget
4000$

Expectations:
Gaming on max settings with no drops in performance

Usage:
A lot of gaming, movies and multi-tasking

Saved Ticket #: 2083077

Specifications:

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz G.SKILL TridentZ (RGB Light Bar)

Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair HD Series (RGB Fans)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 2:15am
The 9900k is worth getting over the 8700k for a new system.   It’s a typical 10% bump over previous gen, which is a normal progression but also has added cores for non gaming applications. It’s not worth upgrading to but a new system pick.

The 1080Ti will play great on your setup. All you need.   I personally would get the newer RTX 2080 or 2080Ti, mainly for its added features that hopefully designers will incorporate.   Ray tracing looks good and the new DLSS, deep learning feature has big potential in frames if incorporated in future games.   

Build looks good.   I opt for mid level motherboards, but they all are good.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:02am
Just to add....my suggestions assume the budget can be flexible. If budget is tight and you’re having trouble justifying the price, just getting the 8700k with gtx 1080Ti is all you need. Gaming will be so good , doubtful you’ll miss what you don’t have.    Plus, the added RTX features are a leap of faith.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 11:18am
Your choices here are all about the money. bprat22 lays out all the right info on the differences. The 9900K is definitely the best pick, but keep in mind both the 9700K and the i7 8086 perform just as well in single thread tasks where most of gaming occurs. All three will be going great well into the future.

I'd like to recommend you consider the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon in either the Z370 or the Z390 flavor. Z370 for the 8086, the z390 for either of the i9 CPUs. Simply, MSI seems to deliver better customer service than Asus should you ever need it after the DS warranty is out, and they're solid boards.

At 2k gaming, the 2080 Ti just seems way over the top. bprat lays it out otherwise. Seems a close call, and comes down to budget. As he says, "doubtful you'll miss what you don't have."

I don't think you need worry about heat issues. One card is bound to be easier to cool than two, and your case temp will benefit.

My 2 cents.    Nice system.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:14pm
Has there be any further word on Velox X or any of the other new cases? Also for multi tasking should I bump to 32gb Ram?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 4:40am
It was said recently that they are working on the rollout of some new cases. One could guess they would like to debut them for the Black Fri/Xmas season.

32GB not necessary at present, but considering how long this system should last you, you might go for it. It's easy enough to add later and RAM is a bit pricey ATM.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 4:12pm
Ah, you just reminded me that Black Friday is almost here...lol
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 8:15pm
Is there any reason to change the ram to 3200 or even 3600? And as far as GPU, would the 2080 be a good choice for ray tracing vs the 1080ti for a lttile bit more money. The 2080ti is a little pricey atm.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 11:08pm
Upping the RAM speed would be extremely marginal.

The 1080 Ti and the 2080 are neck and neck as far as frame rates are concerned. The only superiority that matters performance-wise is the ray tracing feature in the 2080 that has yet to be of any consequence in gaming. For the price differential, I would say the 2080 is your better choice going forward. The 2080 Ti is way overpowered for 1440p gaming IMO.
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:07am
Nice build!!!!!

Might I recommend: LG 32GK850G Black 31.5" QHD 1440p 5ms 144Hz NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitor, 350nits(typ), HDMI, Display Port, USB3.0, Tilt, Swivel, Pivot, Height Adjustable.

Have had this monitor almost a year now and it is flawless!!!!!
Really happy I bought it. G-Sync is cool.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:13pm
I am going to wait a tad longer to see if any new deals/cases come out around holiday time. This is my final build I will be going with. I will be requesting the EVGA 2080 FTW3 for my GPU.

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz G.SKILL TridentZ (RGB Light Bar)

Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair HD Series (RGB Fans)

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:16am
Looks very good. Nicely put together.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 9:47am
Is it a safe time to buy the RTX line up? I'm reading a lot of horror stories right now and with the stock drop from Nvidia must be true. Thoughts? Also anyone know what's been going on with Digital Storm...I have tried to request help 3 different times asking about prices and parts etc. No help. They don't seem to be active anymore. Last time I ordered a pc they were on the spot with same day responses and now it's been over a week when I requested help from them.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:50am
From all I've seen, the problems are confined to the 2080 Ti Founder's Edition and may be a driver issue. It's still up in the air, but I've not seen any complaints about the other cards. They've been out awhile and DS has sold a bunch of them and... nothing. No reports here on the forums. It doesn't appear DS has been offering the FE.

As for responsiveness, they were off Th, Fri, Sat, Sun, and may have gone off early on Wed. Alex has been appearing on the forums with up-to-date info quite frequently in recent weeks.

You want action, e-mail [email protected] , and ask him about the RTX. He'll tell you straight.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Cretae - 26 Nov 2018 at 11:51am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:30pm
We have not seen any major issues yet, if we did, we would have stopped offering them a long time ago as we're the ones that have to take care of our customers down the road.

Don't worry too much, we do stress-test and benchmark the units before they ship to weed out any possible defects as well.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:31pm
Also, NVIDIA's stock dropping is nothing more than just investors getting off the crypto hype train.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:05pm
Thanks for the info! And I know you guys do a lot of stress testing, one of the big reasons i'll keep coming back every time I need a upgrade.

Edited by DarkSydeElement - 26 Nov 2018 at 7:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply