FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Build Help

Post Date: 2013-03-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
utopian View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote utopian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Build Help
    Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:05am
Ticket: 804105
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadhailstorm.asp?id=804105

Please review my build.  I have built it with no hard drives because DS doesn't offer the Samsung 840 500GB.  I also reduced the memory because I think DS is charging too much money for that, plus they don't say how many dimms it will use, so I will replace it with my own after I receive it.  Also, why would someone pay $300 more for the Stage 3 H20 cooling system when the one I selected is maintenance free and should allow overclocking to the same level? 

I went with ATI for video instead of the mighty NVIDIA because I am 3 for 3 with having problems with NVIDIA cards and have never had issues with ATI.

I went with the Hailstorm instead of Hailstorm II because the II is larger, heavier, and unnecessary for me.  It also seems to use more fans making it louder.  HOWEVER, I am concerned about not having front USB ports... any thoughts on this?

I will be using this for gaming, CS6, mult-tasking, amateur video editing, and more.

Thank you for any input you have!

Edited by utopian - 23 Mar 2013 at 9:12am
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:10am
I think it looks alright, although you are going to need a hard drive so they can install the os on it. I don't believe they will install it without one. You can call and ask but idk
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
utopian View Drop Down

Quote utopian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:14am
Thank you!  I don't really need them to install the O/S as long as they ship me the CD/license so I can install it on my own drive.  If they force me though, I will just buy a 7200rpm drive.

What are your thoughts on the case?

Thanks again.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:31am
The case in my opinion looks nice
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:50am
Hi utopian....   I think ArkansasWoman is right about the drive, but DS would know for sure.

Nice build but for the same money, here's a build with the HafX case, the best for air cooled systems and without the video card under water, this is an air cooled system.   The HafX has front 230mm and side and top 200mm fans that move slow, are quiet and push lots of air.  You don't need the LED fan upgrade or the Fan control with it, unless its for looks.

The HafX also has 2 front usb 3.0 and 2 usb 2.0 on front I/O.  The Deluxe mobo also has I believe 6 usb 3.0 and 4 usb 2.0 on back I/O, so I dropped the USB card.

For the same money this has the X79 quad memory mobo as opposed to the Z77 dual memory mobo and the 6 core 3930k cpu.  For your apps this might help alot.  If your apps  don't utilize 6 core chip then you can save $300 and go with 4 core 3820 cpu. And it has 16Gb ram so you don't have to add later for just more $$. 

The Corsiar H100i has a 240mm rad instead of the 120mm rad in your build.  It does mount under the top and replaces one of the HafX case fans.  I like the Noctua D14 air cooler for quiet and reliability but your call.

Config # 804122       Cost $ 2613

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: FREE AMD 4 Game Bundle - Never Settle (Digital Download Code) (Valid Only for Radeon 7900 Series)
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Just another way to go and hope this helps.  Good Luck. Big%20Smile

utopian View Drop Down

Quote utopian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 5:03pm
Thank you!  I couldn't find the HAFX case before.  I have the older HAF now and really like it, so that is perfect!

A few questions....

1) Is X79 more upgradable in the future than Z77?  Will it work with IvyBridge-E when that comes out at the end of this year?  I don't think I will upgrade, but it's always nice to have the option.

2) The reason I went with the Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid Cooling is because it probably has one fan instead of two on the 240mm units.  I just equated this to less noise.  Will the 240mm unit really make a difference?  If so, will the difference be in OC'ing capability, hardware life longevity, or both?

3) Why would one go with the Corsair over the Digital Storm Vortex liquid cooler, or vice versa?

4) Will 2133MHz memory give me any benefit over 1600MHz?

5) My plan is to put in two Samsung 840 500GB SSD's for O/S and programs in Raid 1 and two 7200 RPM drives for data in Raid 1.  Any thoughts on this?  I have never run two separate RAID 1's at the same time.  Is this possible?

6) Why is this build you recommended under the Spec line instead of the Performance line?  Just curious. 

Thank you for your advice!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 5:44pm
The x79 should be upgradeable to Ivy Bridge E when it gets released.   But, like you said, most won't.    The z77 I don't see any upgrade path since the new Haswell chips will be lga 1150 pincount and require a new mobo for its socket. The z77 is lga1155 pin count.

Both the Vortex 120 and Corsair h100i have 2 fans.   On the 120 they're on either side in push/ pull.   The 240 have both on one side. For stage 1 oc the 120 is fine but the h100i with 240mm fan gives more cooling for stage 2 plus its fans can be setup with Corsair Link software to adjust noise vs heat.    Plus the new h100i have improved rad and fans and larger tubing.   Not sure the performance difference.    With the Noctua D14 ,its quiet, reliable and doesn't need tweeking but with 3930, DS will do stage 1 oc and not 2 by some feedback.

The higher ram speed won't be seen plus can cause oc stability in certain cases. Not common but can happen.

I don't get Raid with todays drives but have never spent time lookinginto it.

The difference between both lines of build is mainly case selection. The guts are the same.    Mainly marketing in my opinion.

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Mar 2013 at 5:53pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 8:40pm
To upgrade to an E chip is kinda pointless in this situation, with the 3930k oced, the performance of the chips will be almost identical, IMHO it would be waste of money.

Normally for rads you want to use with fans and that means a single rad (120mm) gets one fan, double rad (240mm) gets 2 fans and so forth and so on and as bp mentioned you can do push pull if you like and double up on the fans, but as far as noise goes if you put one fan on a double rad your performance drops a good amount depending, in short its not the best idea to have a double rad with one fan because of noise, its not the most efficient nor is it money well spent.

Most of your noise come from your gpu's fan when under load and the only way to deal with that is to put it under LC, as for other stuff (case/cpu cooler/etc) its best to go with something that is already quiet, for example your choices here for quiet are either 3930k with stage 1 OC and noctua or stage 2 OC and stage 4 LC, but to quiet that down we still need to modify the rad and fans they use on stage 4 LC to make it quiet.

Keep in mind in performance noctua is king till you get to stage 4 cooling, in other words all coolers under stage 4 pretty much match noctua's performance, the reason for that is that LC is only as good as its waterblock and radiator and all the ones before stage 4 cooling have mediocre blocks and fans resulting in inferior performance vs stage 4 cooling with a great block and good rads.

Only time you want higher speed ram is when you are a benchmarker trying to squeeze the most you can out of your cpu's oc for a short time.

Why do you want to raid ssds? you have a need for large file transfer faster then what today's ssds offer? I would go with corair ssd or intel they have a proven track record.

If you want to have two raids then you are gonna need a raid pci card, if I'm not mistaken the mobo supports only one raid on its own.

Don't pay attention to names or models on sites, as bp said they are just marketing going on, a 7970 is the same no matter which line, the 3930k is the same no matter which line and etc., simply build duplicates on both line and you will see the only difference might endup being the price and the names of the models.
utopian View Drop Down

Quote utopian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 12:52am
Thank you to both of you!

As for the SSD's in RAID, I wanted to go with RAID 1 (mirror).  The reason for this is that if one drive dies, the amount of time it takes me to get back up and running again is too long (this is a business computer and runs 24/7/365).  I know I can create an image, but I will still have hours of downtime to replace the drive, copy the image over, and install anything that wasn't there when the image was created. 

The second RAID would be for my data.  I have a solid backup system, but I have so much data, that again, it takes too long to get back up and running if the drive dies. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:16am
Our pleasure.   

I get it for your RAID.    Makes sense.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:24am
Well actually I would have said clone but if its for work then raid 1 is a good idea and makes perfect sense.

Our pleasure and good luck
utopian View Drop Down

Quote utopian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:35am
Here is the final version:  804971
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploaddreadnought.asp?id=804971

Thanks again!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:30am
that just went all wrong., thats a loud build.

go with noctua cooler, they might tell you that you need to go with vortex or corsair instead but I'm warning you now they can be loud.

forget fan upgrade, the case comes with front red led and fan upgrade does not replace that nor does it replace all fans, and they are loud.

Fan Controller does not control all fans and its temps are not accurate.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Mar 2013 at 1:30am
utopian View Drop Down

Quote utopian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:51pm
OK, here it is:  805189

I know the front fan comes red, but I swapped it for a blue one in my current HAF. 

I dropped the LED fans and the fan controller.  Also went with Noctua.

Thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 10:02pm
Very good, then I don't need to tell you that you can change all the 200mm fans of haf x to blue led ones if you wanted.

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the top, so you endup with 4 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

Go with stage 1 oc.
 Post Reply Post Reply