FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Build - Need Recommendations. Please.

Post Date: 2021-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bishop View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Build - Need Recommendations. Please.
    Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:35am
So, I think it is time to upgrade and purchase a new PC. My last DS PC is from 2009 and still going strong. I just can't run some of the latest games.

I am look to spend around $3500 for a PC that will last me at least for next 6+ years. I mostly play strategy, simulation and flight sims (New IL2, DCS, would like to get the new Microsoft Flight Sim). I also want something that is VR ready.

Currently, I us a 24" 1080p monitor and may go up to a 32" 1440p but nothing higher. I also have a 5.1 sound setup.

I have not been keeping up with all of the latest developments and hardware so I am not sure what is the best Intel vs AMD? Or, which graphic cards. I am also not sure if there will be next generation stuff coming out and should delay my purchase. Please provide specific recommendations on upgrading to a particular brand for components (i.e., Ram, Storage, Cooling) if they are more robust and/or provide significant improvements versus just small increments for much higher price point. 

I do want to have two storage options since I games seem to require more space.

Not sure if I am missing anything else.
Thank you.

Edited by Bishop - 18 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:19am
Welcome back to DS Bishop. I'm certain The Smart Guys® will be along shortly to help you out on your configuration. I just wanted to point out that if you're still using the email address that you ordered your last machine with then you can get the "Verified Customer" badge on your posts.

Simply make certain that the email address for these forums and the email address you ordered from last time match. They must match exactly, like a password, in order to get the badge.

Again, welcome back and I hope you get exactly what you want and need.   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Bishop

I am also not sure if there will be next generation stuff coming out and should delay my purchase.

Y-e-s... Supposedly next year.

AMD's AM5 platform will support DDR5 and PCIe 5 at launch in 2022 | PC Gamer

AMD Next-Gen RDNA 3 & RDNA 4 GPU Rumors: Over 50% Performance Increase, Increased Radeon RX 7000 Pricing & Launch In 2H 2022 | WCCF Tech

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4000 Series Release Date, Price, Specs | GPU Mag

However, with so much out of whack, it's difficult to nail anything down. For example, there have been hints Nvidia will be resurrecting a previous gen. model to tide gamers over.

Gigabyte inadvertently confirms 12GB Nvidia RTX 2060 Super rumors | Digital Trends

I am not sure what is the best Intel vs AMD?

There are always benefits and drawbacks to each. Nevertheless, Intel has finally once again made notable strides, but with some missteps/stumbles:

Everyone should watch this video!

Or, which graphic cards.

I mostly play strategy, simulation and flight sims (New IL2, DCS, would like to get the new Microsoft Flight Sim). I also want something that is VR ready.

Flight sims do require a little more oomph.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (RTX 3070, Ryzen 7 5800X, Ultra Settings) | Jansn Benchmarks (YouTube)

With that, I'll toss out these two configs to consider:

Config #: 4176317
(The Velox is a reverse/inverted ATX case, which means the motherboard and graphics card are mounted upside down on the left side. The layout does provide better cooling for the graphics card, but some people feel upside down labels/logos an inexcusable compromise and have setups that do not favor the window being on the right side of the case.)

Config #: 4176316
(The Lumos, with its tempered glass front panel and sides, is more of a show piece and conventional design -- which is why I added the RGB chassis fan option.)

I do want to have two storage options since I games seem to require more space.

Some games nowadays are definitely very large installations (e.g., MS Flight Simulator 2020 is 100 to 150GB). Although, not all. You can typically find such info by doing a Web search with "game name install size" (no quotes).

Anyway...

As a base suggestion, I chose a 500GB super fast (i.e., NVMe/PCIe 4.0) SSD as the main drive and a 1TB SSD as the secondary. You can still fit one or two games on the main drive (I'd recommend the flight sims) whereas the second drive would be additional storage. If desired, you could switch Storage Set 1 to the 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) and still be within budget without sacrificing any substantial performance.

Don't get confused by M.2, it's not an indicator of speed rather specifies the drive's physical design (similar to 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch HDDs). Digital Storm's Performance Series drives connect via SATA, but are still ~5x faster than a HDD.

Of course, you can tweak things as needed/desired, and the DS PC gaming veterans will provide their own helpful insights.

Edited by MrCheetah - 19 Nov 2021 at 6:34am
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:49am
I like both those ideas. Note the only difference is the Lumos build is a less expensive case, paving the way to allow for RGB fans.

I have two things to add. It's a legit budget move to use a SATA M.2 drive at Storage 2, but I would rather invest in an NVMe drive for the second M.2 slot. Once it's populated with the DS SATA M.2, you will have to discard the drive in order to get an NVMe drive in there. A Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 is up to 6 times faster storage.

The second note is that you could save $214 with 3060 Ti GPU. It will absolutely crush everything at 1080p, and is very capable of 1440p gaming. I think it's such a waste to have to pay these premiums for video. You could delay your upgrade to a 1440p monitor for awhile and make the step up when you know more about the newer cards. You will be well able use a 3060 Ti during the transition. At some point, prices will stabilize, and the next generation will be considerably more powerful. The prospect of having a 4070 that's better than a current 3080 at something around $5-600 is a possibility worth waiting for IMHO.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti/4083vs4090

Such a move could allow for the RGB fans and/or some additional storage. These are suggestions for your consideration.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 7:19am
Reasonable recommendations.

A 3060 Ti is indeed fairly doable:

Flight Simulator 2020 RTX 3060 Ti - 1080p , 1440p Fps Test | Benchmark Lab (YouTube)

As such, here are a couple of other possible configurations:

Velox
Config #: 4177164

Lumos
Config #: 4177166

Again, of course, you can tweak them, if desired, to save a little, etc (e.g., 500GB 980 + 1TB 970 vs. 1TB 980 + 1TB 970)
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Bishop View Drop Down

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:45am

Thank you all. I really appreciate all of thoughtful advice.

I agree that I can stick with my current monitor Acer XB241H at 1080p for some time before switching to a 1440p. This way, I don't have to go all out for higher GPU than a 3060 Ti or 3070. I can always upgrade in 4-5 years to something newer.

In regards to CPU, should I spend the money and go with Ryzen 5950x or with i9-12900K? Again, not sure if this would future proof (6-10 years) or I will never really use the extra cores for gaming? Also, Intel or AMD from a CPU perspective. If I go with AMD CPU would it be better to go with AMD GPU?

Sorry for some of these basic questions.

Edited by Bishop - 19 Nov 2021 at 10:45am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 1:15pm
Go back up to MrCheetah's first reply and look for the link to "Everyone should watch this video!" This a serious issue that could lock you out of games you have paid for. If there would ever be a way to reclaim the game would be anyone's guess. This is a situation that the powers that be cannot allow to prevail, and they are working feverously to resolve it, I'm sure. How long that may take is anyone's guess, but if it's doable at all, it will be sooner rather than later.

As a result, I will not recommend an Intel build. It seems MrCheetah agrees, as all his samples are AMD. The 5800X is very nearly the equal of the 5900X and the 5950X. There is virtually no benefit for gaming from the extra cores.

Should you choose to wait out the resolution to the monumental problem Intel has, the 12700K is the CPU choice for gaming. Again, there is virtually no gain from the more expensive chip.

There IS a synergy between AMD CPUs and AMD 6000 series video cards. However, the tech remains slightly behind Nvidia. Since there is no price advantage, for the moment, Nvidia is the better choice.

These are questions you SHOULD ask.   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm
I'll try to keep this simple.

In regards to CPU, should I spend the money and go with Ryzen 5950x or with i9-12900K? Again, not sure if this would future proof (6-10 years) or I will never really use the extra cores for gaming?

How Many CPU Cores Do You REALLY Need For Gaming? 🤔 5900x vs 5800x vs 5600x vs "5300x" | PC Centric (YouTube)

A demo regarding "CPU bottleneck" (which is basically poor CPU and GPU pairing, both in relation to one another and software requirements):

This is the OLDEST CPU I have... Is it usable in 2021?? | JayzTwoCents (YouTube)

As for future proofing, like insurance, it might be very beneficial or you may never utilize it. You can do your best to predict, though there is no guarantee of value.

If I go with AMD CPU would it be better to go with AMD GPU?

Originally posted by Cretae

There IS a synergy between AMD CPUs and AMD 6000 series video cards.

AMD Smart Access Memory Technology/resizable BAR
Unfortunately, SAM/SAMT is only notably beneficial at lower resolutions and the uplift (again) varies by game.

Resizable BAR Test in 8 Supported Games | Jansn Benchmarks

Originally posted by Cretae

However, the tech remains slightly behind Nvidia.

Yep, especially with ray-tracing.

GeForce RTX 3070 vs. Radeon RX 6700 XT | TechSpot

Edited by MrCheetah - 19 Nov 2021 at 3:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply