FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Build - Recommendations Please!

Post Date: 2020-11-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zlink View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zlink Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Build - Recommendations Please!
    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 2:23pm
Its been almost 7 years since my last computer and I want another gaming computer that will last that long.....please review and see if you can make any recommendations!

Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16-Core) 4.9 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON (Wi-Fi) (X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray Writer & Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 4:08am
This is not a gaming computer. It's total overkill. the strongest parts you can get doesn't buy you longevity anymore, it just burns through your cash.

The Ryzen 5950 is not any better for gaming than a 10700K Intel, for example. I'm not recommending the Intel chip, mind you, because it is a PCIe Generation 3 part which should be put to bed. All the AMD parts, and the GPUs, and the NVMe storage you selected are PCIe Gen 4 and that's all I recommend these days.

Today's CPUs are way over-powered for gaming, so that a 3rd tier part will be just as effective several years from now as the totally overkill top part. More cores don't get used in gaming, they just sit there. Games rarely, if ever, get to 8 cores, let alone 16. All the CPU has to do these days is run the OS and help or stay the hell out of the way of the GPU. The main problem with trying to "future proof" with the most expensive you can buy is that every part has a lifespan of unpredictable length. When your CPU just stops working, do you want to nave to replace a $900 part you never got the potential from (or your money's worth), or a $500 part that was still getting it done?

I'm not gonna gimp you, but let's be real here.

For CPU, the 5900X will power you with plenty to spare for as many years as it works. For gaming it's performance measures EXACTLY the same as the 5950 for $350 less. You could do equally well with a 5800X, but I don't think you would let me get away with that.
I approve the mobo, it's very good.

No game in the lifetime of this rig will ever come close to accessing all 32GB of RAM, let alone 64GB. The extra will just be idle all the time. Complete waste for gaming. Get 32GB because RAM is relatively inexpensive now.

The power supply is totally unnecessary. In the rig I have in mind, you will have around 50% overhead above what you use with an 850W. That in itself is more than enough. If it makes you nervous, get the 1000W if you must.

One NVMe SSD is the sweet spot. In certain circumstances, two of them can steal bandwidth from each other, and both run slower than they should. Get one NVMe M.2 and let the secondary drive be SATA. Let that be your main games library after the other is filled, and the load times will be just fine.

The GPU is rightly where you should put your $$. Your pick is very strong. AMD has stepped outside the box a bit and designed their 5000 series CPUs to run synergistically with their 6000 series GPUs so the pairing runs stronger together than alone. While the 3080 is equally good in slightly different ways, in an AMD rig the pairing with a 5000 series CPU gives you a little extra.

Now you can ignore everything I've said because you have your heart set on certain things. But I have leveled with you as best I know how. Now it's up to you.
Zlink View Drop Down

Quote Zlink Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:34pm
Thanks for the detailed response! I just ordered pursuant to your recommendations.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 2:10am
You won't be sorry. You'll have a killer rig like you wanted, without all the waste. Good job.
 Post Reply Post Reply