FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New build recommendations

Post Date: 2019-11-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MNelson View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MNelson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New build recommendations
    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 11:04am
Hi All,

Getting a new desktop for my wife, she's mainly going to use it for photography and graphics, not much gaming. I've reviewed several post and it looks like the Lumos with the below config would do well. Looking for any recommended changes, updates or why would you go with the Lynx over the Lumos, very close price for same config.

Also want to support 2 monitors, assuming this set up will support HDMI connections to both.

Total Price with Instant Savings: Lumos = $2,747.00, Lynx was about $100 less. Want to stay at $3000 or less.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Thanks Mark
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:19pm
Welcome to the forum MNelson!

I think you have the best case for this build with the excellent Lumos and it’s got better airflow and size than Lynx.   Good selections in CPU, Mobo, Drive1, PSU, and LL Fans.   She will be able to customize and personalize all of the Corsair RGB
Components ...all synchronized using iCUE software. That would include any Corsair RGB peripherals like keyboard or mouse. GPU is the solid all around midrange RTX 2070 Super which will do the job well with 1080P or 2K/1440P monitors.   Despite her not gaming much, the rig would do quite well at gaming.

Suggestions for improvement...

1) RAM...Memory is way inexpensive right now, and her photo work would benefit from boosting to 32 GB Corsair Vengeance.

2) Overclock.   The excellent i7-9700K 8-core 8-thread processor was designed by Intel to be fully Overclocked, and if you don’t you are leaving out performance you are paying for already.   The Stage 1 OC is free, but I recommend the full Stage 2 OC for just $99. She gets all of the CPU performance, all of the time that way.

3) Use the bigger cooler. The Corsair H115i 280 mm AIO cooler will do a better job.

4) To get you just over the Sale $3000 mark so you get $300 off, I upgraded Drive 1 to the newer faster model Samsung Evo 970 Plus 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD.

Lumos Build2...Config # 2749182. $3,046 - DS Sale $300 Off = $2,746 Total

A much stronger build...See what you think.....
Whthawke66 View Drop Down

Quote Whthawke66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:32pm
I would go lumos, based on the airflow of the chassis. Graphics intensive uses may tend to create more heat, as much as gaming does, honestly. The lumos case has option for 6 fans (3 included, you would need to add a fan upgrade package to get all 6 filled) but it would greatly increase air flow-though. (with the extra top venting fans included). Other than that, since I see no overclocking on your cpu, I would say the corsair is a bit of overkill, the included digital storm stock cooler has served me well despite 6 years of service on the motherboard. The cpu cooler would not help with graphics card heat regardless, though - and I don't see anything that suggests your graphics needs would require additional cooling on a gtx 2070, especially if you get a 6 fan lumos. Overall, this is a very solid build for your stated purpose imho that should provide years of heavy duty service reliably. You could go ahead and get 32 gigs of RAM just for future proofing and because ram is so inexpensive right now. Hope this helps a bit!
MNelson View Drop Down

Quote MNelson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:35pm
Thanks HockeyBuck! I appreciate the quick reply and recommendations, will be ordering it shortly.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 3:54am
Verified Customer, MNelson! That's a strong set-up.
MNelson View Drop Down

Quote MNelson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:30pm
Thanks Whthawke66 and Cretae, appreciate the feedback!
 Post Reply Post Reply