FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new build what do you think

Post Date: 2012-03-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tju76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: new build what do you think
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:36am
Ticket Number: 665051
Total Price with Instant Savings: $5,111.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=665051

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)  <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes) <b></b>
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service) <b></b>
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty <b></b>
Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 11:36am
What type of build are you going for? Will this be a gaming rig? If so, what resolution will you be playing at? How long do you want the rig to stay current? What is the top end of your budget for the rig? 
Just_Call_Me_G View Drop Down

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Just_Call_Me_G Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 11:45am
That's a pretty impressive PC you specked out for yourself. My only question for you is why you want to have liquid cooled video cards. Liquid cooled cards are nice but they're not essential for high end gaming. I always recommend the Corsair H80 or H100 for a great cooling system. If you find yourself wanting to just use a H80 or H100 you can actually change your case to the dreadnought for better airflow (you wouldn't need to buy the upgraded fans as the default ones are 200mm).

Meanwhile with the memory fan unit I suggest removing it on account RAM doesn't get that hot unless its overclocked. If you do want a memory fan unit keep in mind that you will need to order 2 fans on account the can only cool 2 sticks at a time.
Pay what you need and love what you pay for.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:35pm
Hi tju76,

You don't need LC with the 2600K CPU but if you want to go for it, here is what I suggest.

1. I would drop the memory to 8Gb. That is all you need for gaming. If you just want 16Gb then go for it. If you get 16Gb of memory you should also get Win-7 Pro instead of the Home version. The Home version limits you to 16Gb and you can't add any more. My thinking is if you need 16Gb for something you might need more in the future.

2. I would change the SSD to 1 180Gb Intel 520. I am not sure why you wanted two 120 Gb SSDs. If you have some reason for two SSDs then leave it like you have it. Just make sure you get the Intel 520 series.

3. I would change the 2Gb HHD to a 1 Gb HHD. If you need 2 Gb then I would add a second 1 Gb WD black label. But you don't have to do that now. The 2Gb HHD doesn't have as good of performance as the 1Gb black lable. Two 1Gb drives gives you one for storage and one for backup.

4. Get the Corsair 1050w power supply. It has a 7 year warranty and is a much better choice than the DS 1200w. You don't need 1200w for a 2600K build.

5. Change your memory to the 1600MHz DS certified. There is no advantage to the 2300Mhz memory.

6. You don't need the fan kit.

Smart move on the 5 year warranty.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 14 Mar 2012 at 2:38pm
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:43pm
for some of your questions i want this build to be current for a long period of time, i will be playing at 1920 by 1080 on a 27" but i will most likely add a second monitor in the future. i chose liquid cooling the video cards more for aesthetics then function but it will keep the cards cooler for longer. i am more waiting for the release of the aventum case. i got 2 120gb ssd because i want to have more storage space, i was also wondering if i can back up all the programs etc that i have on my ssd to a normal HDD, if that is the case then i would change my options.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 6:02am
Hi tju76,

This system is great for 1920 x 1080/1200. You said you will add a second monitor in the future. Will you be gaming on two monitors or will you still game on just one monitor and use the other monitor for other things? I am not sure you will have enough GPU power to game across two monitors unless you turn down some settings like AA. With this platform you can't add a third GPU.

If you think you need two 120Ghb SSD then get them. Just don't use them in RAID O. They are cheaper than a single 180Gb 520. I don't know if you can back up your games but you can move them back and forth between the SSD and the HDD. Most people have the few games they are currently playing on the SSD. The non-current games are stored on the HDD.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 15 Mar 2012 at 6:04am
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 8:24am
i would like to game on the second monitor in the future, what should i look at for cards etc for that setup 
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 2:11pm
tyu76, I have never ran two monitors so I am not the best person for advise.

When you run two monitors your resolution doubles so you will be looking at 3840 resolution instead of 1920. I don't think dual SLI will handle that with max settings. You do have GPUs with 3Gb of Vram and that will help. That would mean you need Tri SLI and you can't do that with this 1155 platform. You would have to move up to the X79 platform for Tri SLI.

I am not saying you can't run on two monitors with this set up but you will have to turn down some settings. Have you ever played on two monitors? It takes getting use to and many don't like it. You should give it a try before you get set up for it. One look at it was all I needed to say, not for me.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 15 Mar 2012 at 2:13pm
Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 2:18pm
If you are indeed wanting to game one multiple monitors, with current tech, you will have to look at tri-sli/cf to game at reasonable settings. Just no other way around it.

BUT, supposedly the new gtx 680 has the processing power of 3 580's! BUM BUM BUMMMM. Take it with a grain of salt, but nonetheless the 680 will be a monster (hopefully). If you feel you can wait, Get an Ivy Bridge build so you can take full advantage of PCI-E 3 bandwidth and grab 2 680's and ROFLSTOMP thru multi-display gaming.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 2:53pm
Why in the world would Nvidia make one card that would replace three cards. That is just not going to happen.

Nvidia has always been slow to market. When the Radeon 5870 was beating them up they rushed to market with the 4xx series that were a mistake from the get go. I would have been miffed if I had bought a 4xx card and they didn't even last a year before they came out with the 5xx. Lets hope the 6xx is another success like the 5xx and not a disaster like the 4xx.

Frank
Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 3:31pm
FrankW a.k.a. The Dreamcrusher. >.<
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 9:32am
Avelict, sorry about that.

Frank
Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 11:31am
Prelim testing of the GTX680 is outs! Averaged a 30% jump over the 580, not 300% (sadly). But in almost every test outdid the 7970 by 10+ fps. A good sight to see imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply