Post Date: 2010-12-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Synth3tikMessiah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: New Comp for enthusiast! Want to order today/tomor
    Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 3:11pm
Hey guys, long time no see. This comp isn't for me, its for my brother. I convinced him to be a die hard Digital Storm enthusiast, so lets welcome him to the dark side with:

Thats a rough draft of the config, does anyone have any suggestions? Money is almost not an issue, he wants insane performance as hes a gamer AND developer. and the cards need to be ATI for their eyefinity tech (3xMonitor set up).

Hed also like to know if digital storm would be able to set up a dual boot system with linux and windows. Thanks!

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 3:27pm
They don't have to be ATI, Nvidia does three monitors just fine as well (better because of more GPU muscle), they're just limited to 2 monitors per video card, so you would just have to have at least 2 cards. Quad Crossfire scales horribly, you really do not want two 5970s (each card has two GPUs), I'd recommend going with triple SLI 480s or 580s.

Currently 580s are in low supply and are overpriced, at around $205 (42%) more than a 480, but they only have about 20% more performance than a 480. Up to you guys which one of those you would rather go for.

Also, you're going to need a bigger PSU. The 1200w Corsair might do, if not then the 1500w Silverstone.

I'd probably go for the Rampage III Extreme motherboard over the Classified.

Avoid VelociRaptors, they are complete crap and all marketing. The only VR that is actually faster than standard 1TB HDDs is the large 600GB model, but only by about 5%. If you want fast get an Intel SSD for the OS/apps, those are on a whole other level compared to HDDs, literately 100 times faster small file performance (around twice the performance for large files).

The Killer 2100 NIC doesn't do anything, avoid it, you don't need it wasting one of your PCIe slots. Just pay your ISP more for a better connection.

Don't forget the free game and t-shirt selections.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 4:04pm
Thank you Dragoon! This is why i adore Digital Storm communities, you even crunched out the percentages for me, haha.
This build has gotten a little bit out of my league now since im not up to date on the new components that were released since my last upgrade. Whos up for the challenge of building a $6.5k give or take system for me with level 6 LC, Limited to no bottlenecking of course?

Edit----

Also, i was under the impression that eyefinity renders the image to give larger view, as opposed to just scaling the same 1 monitor rendered image to fit 3 monitors. Not sure if i explained what i meant correctly, hopefully one of you geniuses understood me =P.

Edited by Synth3tikMessiah - 12 Dec 2010 at 4:07pm

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 4:20pm
The GTX 570 actually just came out, and you may want to consider that in terms of graphics. It's essentially 480 performance with lower heat and noise, $90 less too. If you go with the new 5 series, LC might not that beneficial. The 5 series cards are running pretty decent vapo-chill cooling rigs stock.

Velociraptors may net you some sort of performance gain, but it's so negligible that it's not worth it in terms of money you spend. For hard drive speeds, it's go the whole hog and get a SSD, or stick with your common 7200RPM drive.

As with Dragoon is saying, I'm starting to take a liking to Asus as well. The 3.99GB outbreak with EVGA X58 boards lately has got me on edge.

I own a Killer Xeno Pro running Firmware Update 6.0, which some BFG people claimed somewhere that it was supposed to net you the performance of the Killer 2100. Had high hopes for it at first, but still, although it nets you some sort of ping advantage, it's nothing that's really significant (especially for the price). Currently, the only benefits I see from the Xeno is that the config tool it comes with allows bandwidth priority regulation for your programs, along with application blocking. The tool is especially picky, however, if the Killer NIC is at anytime disconnected during runtime, the application will fail to get any input from the NIC again regardless if it's reconnected. The tool will only be able to then get inputs again upon a restart. Overall, not worth it.

Memory fan kit, I dunno, if you're not overclocking RAM I personally see no benefit from it really. Adds a heck of a lot of noise too since it uses small fans (Rule of thumb : Smaller fans = higher noise per airflow output).

Go windows home premium. Professional only gives you the benefit of running XP mode via download, easier connection to business domains, and backup to a network drive via the built in backup utility.

Tried to hit $6.5k within parts practicality- http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=468064

Edited by ablahblah - 12 Dec 2010 at 4:31pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 5:16pm
Wow thanks a lot, i think im def. gonna switch to the geforce now. But since money isnt much of an issue, I'd say push the components farther to get it to that $6.5k. We're only following my brother's orders so no worries, lol. Heres the new list from me,
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX (3x4GB Sticks) (CMT12GX3M3A2000C9)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (NOTE: Disables 2 Front USB Ports)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (PhysX) (EVGA Black Ops 015-P3-1583-AR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Triple SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.6GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

What do you think?

Edited by Synth3tikMessiah - 12 Dec 2010 at 5:20pm

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Synth3tikMessiah

Wow thanks a lot, i think im def. gonna switch to the geforce now. But since money isnt much of an issue, I'd say push the components farther to get it to that $6.5k. We're only following my brother's orders so no worries, lol. Heres the new list from me, http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=468026 What do you guys think?

That's the same config as before. Here:

Ticket #468083, Price: $6462

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX (3x4GB Sticks) (CMT12GX3M3A2000C9)
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (NOTE: Disables 2 Front USB Ports)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD2001FASS)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Triple SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

Thanks to ablahblah for reminding me about the new 570.

OS/apps/games on the SSDs, music/movies/media on the HDD.

Lilim
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 5:54pm

Whos up for the challenge of building a $6.5k give or take system for me with level 6 LC, Limited to no bottlenecking of course?
can definitely be done, but probably dont even need 6k
can you give a rundown of your system use so we can get a better idea of what you are looking to do here?
games? lots of storage? movies? nvidia 3d?
need a silent build?

not that most of these couldnt be achieved at the same time with 6k... but still its better to build with an objective than to throw gobs of money and hope an idea forms from it

Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 6:25pm
Dragoon, i caught that mistake and re-posted with the list inside the forum as opposed to linking you, thanks for doing another build for me! =]

Well looks like my list and yours are identical only no extra storage is required, the 2x 80gb SSD are fine (we have more external storage and other pc's) What its gonna boil down to is

Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (PhysX) (EVGA Black Ops 015-P3-1583-AR)

VS

Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

3x 570 may be better since i can make the third one PhysX Dedicated, and run the other two as dual SLI

What are your thoughts regarding overall performance regarding the video cards?

(And to answer the previous post, we'd like to achieve it all, hence why hes throwing money at it, haha.) We're tech geeks, only im too busy with grad school to keep up with the market for time being. Its why im asking all my DS buddies on here for help! He loves having the latest and greatest... Hes a gaming enthusiast who loves maxing every thing out but also does lots of various kinds of development (software and other) and requires a good number cruncher/workhorse. PERFORMANCE comes first to silence and looks etc... Thanks again all! If anyone else wants a stab, im setting the budget to $6800.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 7:15pm

VS

3x 570 may be better since i can make the third one PhysX Dedicated, and run the other two as dual SLI

What are your thoughts regarding overall performance regarding the video cards?

You don't need dedicated PhysX cards anymore, any of the newer Nvidia cards will give you both GPU muscle and PhysX processing at the same time.

Don't get Superclocked or Black Ops versions, they're overpriced and just factory overclocked. DS will overclock them for you for free, or you can do it yourself easily enough (download MSI Afterburner, move two sliders a centimeter to the right, done).

Triple SLI 570 has a lot more muscle than dual SLI 580 and is amusingly also much cheaper, so triple SLI 570s is the clear winner.

If you don't need the HDD and you are upping the budget to $6800 then that's a $500+ gap to fill but I don't really know what else to add. I guess you can add the chipset cooling into the LCS for +$190 and a sound card of some sort.
Lilim
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 7:22pm
Oh, something I forgot about. The HAF X has a bunch of optional fan slots that can be filled. Ask DS (either through email or in the notes section of your order) for additional fans to fill the optional spots, which I believe is a 1x 200mm, 1x 120mm, and 1x 80mm fan.

Lemme know how much DS quotes you for those additional fans? I'm curious to know.
Lilim
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:08pm
Effing perfect Dragoon. You're the man! I'll find out what the extra costs for fans are since you're curious. But aside from that, whats the point of stocking up on those extra fans if every component is LCed, CPU, GPUs, and Chipset. Also, any thoughts on waiting for q1 2011 stuff to be released? I heard the new radeons are being released in a week or something. 

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:12pm
and id look into jacking your water cooling if you are nuts about performance. the stage 6 option gives you a 3x and 2x rad, id go for 2 3x rads with full gentle typhoon fans
this would mean moving to a more extreme case, fyi
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:29pm

Effing perfect Dragoon. You're the man! I'll find out what the extra costs for fans are since you're curious. But aside from that, whats the point of stocking up on those extra fans if every component is LCed, CPU, GPUs, and Chipset.

You can never have enough air flow. The water blocks cover and grab heat from the most important parts, but they don't cover everything. Your radiators will probably be internal anyway, and they can only cool down to whatever the ambient temperature around them is, so every degree you can get your case's internal ambient temperature down is another degree your LCed components can get down.

Also, any thoughts on waiting for q1 2011 stuff to be released? I heard the new radeons are being released in a week or something.

Go for it if you're not in a hurry. Hopefully the G3 Intel SSDs will be out sometime Q1 2011, but that's probably still a few months off, not worth putting the whole PC off for. The new ATIs might be worth waiting a few weeks for, but honestly I just can't stand their drivers personally. Even if a new ATI GPU came out that was both cheaper and more powerful than a 570/580, it would have to be significantly so before I would consider it, those drivers just drive me up the wall.
Lilim
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Lemme know how much DS quotes you for those additional fans? I'm curious to know.

Based on my dealings with DS, it should be around 20$ per fan. That's the cost of the fan itself, the installation, and the warranty upcharge. There was no cost difference for the different sizes of fan, at least not in my HAF-X.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Based on my dealings with DS, it should be around 20$ per fan. That's the cost of the fan itself, the installation, and the warranty upcharge. There was no cost difference for the different sizes of fan, at least not in my HAF-X.

Oh thanks Tidgxor. So $60 total? I really wish Cooler Master would include those by default, blah.
Lilim
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 12:36am
Well, see, for me it was only 40$.

I specified that I wanted all of the additional case fans, however, I only got charged for two. The ones included in my order were the 200mm fan on top and the 120mm fan in the GPU shroud. Where does the 80mm fan go? I can see if there is an empty slot in my case.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Well, see, for me it was only 40$.

I specified that I wanted all of the additional case fans, however, I only got charged for two. The ones included in my order were the 200mm fan on top and the 120mm fan in the GPU shroud. Where does the 80mm fan go? I can see if there is an empty slot in my case.

I'm not even entirely sure. The Cooler Master site lists:

VGA Fan Duct:120 x 25 mm or 120 x 38 mm fan x 1(optional)
VGA Holder:80 x 15 mm fan x 1(optional)

EDIT: Oh right, now I remember. It goes on the side of that GPU brace thing:

Edited by Dragoonseal - 13 Dec 2010 at 1:59am
Lilim
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:28am
Another idea would be to go with push pull instead, have fans on both sides of your rad, it makes a big difference in your case's temp.

Just an idea, it will help both your LC temps and your case temps.

IF the fans are quiet then I would add them too, I too believe there is nothing wrong with good airflow.

As for the two fans I belive they go here:

You have an option of second 200mm fan on top also right?

@ablahblah, check out netlimiter, there is a free version and it allows you to limit net activity by app.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 11:14am
Ah, ok. Yes, I was given the 2nd top fan, as well as the one inside the plastic shroud in the pictures above.

However, DS did not use the metal brace (I was wondering what that big metal thing in with my cables was Big%20Smile). I'm going to guess this was because of the PCIe slot positions (see my other thread in the Hardware forum), or because the 580s were too big.

EDIT: I just looked at the brace, I'm going to guess DS didn't use it because it requires sandwiching the two cards together.

Edited by Tidgxor - 13 Dec 2010 at 2:25pm
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 1:02pm
So i should put fans on both sides of the rad for this build and request DS to mount the extra fans. Anyone with the HAF X know of the optimal positioning for its fans? Negative or positive pressure?  Which fans should be intake and which fans should be exhaust? all that good stuff?

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 5:31pm
depends so much on other factors.
if you go with the hafx i dont think there is room for push/pull, and the extra vga fans wont do anything for a fully LC setup, in fact, they may actually make it worse.
so are you sure you want the hafx case and 1 3x and 1 2x rad? or do you want to go for something more extreme where you could do push/pull?
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 6:25pm
Cant i mount the 3x rad externally? I know my HAF 932 allows me to... And that's what i was saying before, my build is fully LC at stage 6, CPU all GPU, and chipset... Why do i even need an extra fan or two for ambient temps? The affect is too minuscule, i'd think, even with a 200mm.

Which chassis will allow for a push pull rad? Or what other options are there for me?

Edited by Synth3tikMessiah - 13 Dec 2010 at 6:29pm

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:31pm
i dont think theres room in a hafx for push/pull with stage 6, it might fit 1 2x rad with push pull but thats it... OR you could mount both rads externally with some push/pull. some think that looks bad, but thats up to the individual

as far as what cases could handle it, most upper end cases could for sure, MM and DD are good choices depending on your tastes, somehting like this:

as far as extra case fans, as long as you have a good intake and exhaust.. it shouldnt matter.

Edited by !ender_ - 13 Dec 2010 at 8:32pm
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 9:19pm
Well then, i reported everything back to my bro and he did a little of his own research regarding the GPU's, apparently the only nvidia card that has similar technology to ATI's Eyefinity is the 580... So he officially wants triple SLI 580's...i dunno, id do otherwise, but hes got the money so i wont argue...

Here is the final build,
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=468530

He just put the order in now, i'll be sure to update you guys on any interesting developments as well as nice shiny pics once its finally here!

Thanks for all the help everyone. As usual, Digital Storm community proves to be nothing short of EPIC.

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 11:46pm

apparently the only nvidia card that has similar technology to ATI's Eyefinity is the 580... So he officially wants triple SLI 580's...i dunno, id do otherwise, but hes got the money so i wont argue...

not sure at all really what that means but whats done is done, enjoy the rig.. if you can carry it inside lol Big%20Smile
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 12:33am
"The feature is called Eyefinity and what it does in essence, is allow for multiple monitors to be used as a single display. As it stands today, for the most part, when multiple monitors are connected to a single PC, those monitors are recognized as independent displays and can be configured for desktop spanning or mirroring, etc. With Eyefinity, however, the displays are arranged in a single group (or in multiple groups) and they are treated as a single display by the OS."

http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Eyefinity-MultiDisplay-Technology-In-Action/

When ATI released eyefinity Nvidia's answer was 3d Vision Surround

Surround tech gives greater peripheral vision like eyefinity across multiple monitors, and 3d adds to depth. Also there is some 3rd party emulation software for nvidia cards that simulate eyefinity and make use of CUDA to assist.

From user reviews ive read on 3d Surround Vision, its supposed to be very next gen type of technology. Insanely immersive gaming.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technology.html

Edited by Synth3tikMessiah - 14 Dec 2010 at 12:37am

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 5:50am
yea i mean i know what using 3 monitors is, but any fermi+ nvidia cards can do that, im pretty sure even the 460s can
and you only need 2 cards with that, not 3

furthermore from what ive read (not extensively) nvidia surround isnt effectively using 3 cards at this time. so its no different than using 2 with the specific feature of nvidia surround
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 6:56am

Cant i mount the 3x rad externally? I know my HAF 932 allows me to... And that's what i was saying before, my build is fully LC at stage 6, CPU all GPU, and chipset... Why do i even need an extra fan or two for ambient temps? The affect is too minuscule, i'd think, even with a 200mm.Which chassis will allow for a push pull rad? Or what other options are there for me?

you can mount the fan externally, look at my build in my sig and here for more pics. I have push pull on both 3x fans, the inside top is the feser with push pull and the outside is the gtx 420 which fits 140mm fans.

We have done test with the haf before and pointing the top fans to blow air in or outward has resulted in a 2c difference in temps, aka pointless, so it does not really matter which way the blow.

You have to ask DS if they push pull will fit.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Dec 2010 at 6:57am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:29am

Well then, i reported everything back to my bro and he did a little of his own research regarding the GPU's, apparently the only nvidia card that has similar technology to ATI's Eyefinity is the 580... So he officially wants triple SLI 580's...i dunno, id do otherwise, but hes got the money so i wont argue...

Here is the final build,
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=468530

He just put the order in now, i'll be sure to update you guys on any interesting developments as well as nice shiny pics once its finally here!

Thanks for all the help everyone. As usual, Digital Storm community proves to be nothing short of EPIC.

He is misinformed, Nvidia's 3D Vision Surround has been out and supported since first Fermi came out, the 480. Everything from even the 450 up supports it, the 450, 460, 465, 470, 480, 570, and 580.

I don't see triple 580s being worth anywhere remotely worth +$837 more than triple 570s. A 68% price hike for 20% more performance? Yikes.

But his money, so oh well, whatever.
Lilim
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 11:34am
I agree with Dragoon on his GPU assessment, triple 570's is definitely the way to go if you are going to do 3 GPU's  Bang per buck I think it is hard to beat that.

Of Course I disagree with him about the Raptor HDD's they are NOT Crap.  Cost effective?  No, Bad Drives? No.   Good drives at a high price point.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Edited by MagiK - 14 Dec 2010 at 11:35am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 12:51pm
VelociRaptors are crap. They are crap for the price, and they are not the the top of the line item that you have to pay a premium for, ergo you are paying the ridiculous premium for marketing.

When you have options that perform virtually identically but cost 5 times less (7200RPM HDD), options that perform better and cost less (hybrid drive), and options that perform 100 times better and only cost slightly more (SSDs), then seriously they are just crap. And those are just the simple alternatives, if you wanted to get a little creative you could just get a cheap PCIe RAID card with some onboard cache and bam, any drive you use on it performs vastly better than a VR (same idea behind a hybrid drive, but DRAM instead of SSD NAND, which is like 30+ times faster).

There are far too many other options that are either cheaper, perform better, or both, VR's just get marketed better. Stop trying to justify to yourself your purchase of VRs. So you wasted money on them, so what? Live and learn. Stop trying to recommend such a terrible storage option to other people.
Lilim
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 12:55pm
Do the drives have mechanical defects? Do they break down more than other drives? do they lose data more than other HDD's?  No, no and umm no....ergo NOT crap.
Expensive is not a corollary to Crap.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:10pm
Sure it is, there are just different levels of crap. While I'm glad it doesn't cost 5 times more than similar offerings and fail more often, its ridiculous price premium still puts it well into the crap category.

I'm not here to argue the definition of crap, I'm just letting people know VRs are a Really Dumb Idea™.
Lilim
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:36pm
Crap to me is hardware with higher than average failures, or significant drawbacks...the Raptors only drawback is the price point.

And thanks for calling me dumb  Wink   I purchased one, Im happy with the purchase and when the G3 600GB SSD becomes available I'll swap it out  :Hahaha

Velociraptor drives = Good hardware at a bad price.

By the way the price for a 600GB VR = roughly $260
I would advise anyone with budget issues not get a Velociraptor drive, if you arent worried about a few bucks here or there  go for it...or wait for the 600GB G3 SSD coming hopefully early next year.

Edited by MagiK - 14 Dec 2010 at 1:40pm
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:13pm
Lemme clarify, The reason for him getting 3 580's isnt because of three monitors. Hes well aware he can do it with two. Reason he got it was simple, hes a techy elitist that has a job that pays him too much damn money, lmao.

He likes to save if the option is there, but when DS upped their discount from 10% to 15%, he just decided to go for 3 (we were gonna do 2x SLI 570's before, as per my suggestion).

As for the HDD's, we swapped the VR to an SSD almost immediately, lol.

And yes he was misinformed as to which nvidia cards had the technology, i looked it up myself later and you guys are 100% correct. Basically all 400 and 500 series cards can support it. I don't remember if there were any exceptions, but it didn't matter at the time.

Either way it wont matter since it was either gonna be the 570 or the 580. He got the 580's instead cause he got the added 5% discount which didn't really raise the price enough to bother him.

All in all hes incredibly happy now and we have you guys to thank for the help, BTW DST4ME, i showed off your build to my bro and he almost gasmed on the spot. I was following the forums for your build for about a year now and im so happy that you finally got it fully functional. You honestly have the patience of a saint because if i was in your shoes id have bought a ticket to cali and brought that monster home myself, haha! AwesomeAwesomeAwesomeAwesomeAwesome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>