FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Computer Help

Post Date: 2018-02-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Big_D94 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Big_D94 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Computer Help
    Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:20pm
I’m looking to purchase a new computer but haven’t been kept up with the new hardware (CPU, GPU, etc.) over the last 5-6 years. I’m hoping to put together something that will last another 5-6 years and would appreciate any suggestions.

Build ID: 1857185

Budget: <2.5K

Monitor: 1440p

Usage: Primarily gaming, Witcher 3, Overwatch, WoW are the most common games I play.

I was wondering, since I don’t plan to overclock the CPU, should I get the 8700K or go with the 8700?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 2:06am
Build looks good but you could save a few hundred bucks selecting the Vanquish level 4, Ultimate. Parts are very similar.     It has the 1070ti which is within 10% of the gtx 1080, plus who knows when the 1080 will be back filled.    The card is being stopped in production, at least what I read, in anticipation of the new gtx 2070, etc card’s being released in a month or two.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 6:47pm
IMHO, I don't see any drawback in going with the 8700. The performance under load is practically the same, and I can't conceive you'd ever tell any difference. Save the money.

Having said that, bprat makes a very good point that the Vanquish 4 is a terrific buy. That would score you the 8700k and the only difference is the size of your SSD and the GPU difference which may be problematic anyway.

Whichever way you go, be sure to get the internal lighting, it's free right now and I think it's really cool. If you don't agree, it comes with a remote, you can just turn it off!
It's standard with the Vanquish.
 Post Reply Post Reply