Post Date: 2011-10-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boss Man View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Computer, Need Input
    Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:19am
Budget: $2500 (preferably lower, really not looking to go over)

This is for the computer alone, not including any peripherals.

Expectations: Run the latest and greatest games at maxed out settings, including capability to handle 2560x1600 without dropping into choppy levels.

Usage: Gaming, streaming HD video content, music creation, other general use.

Special Needs: I don't want anything too loud, so proper cooling solutions that provide necessary performance with minimal noise would be ideal.

The only DS system I've come across thus far that fits my needs is the ODE Level 3, but I've yet to extensively tinker with the various custom configurations myself (every time I start the price starts wildly skyrocketing and I get put off by it). Seeing as how the price on the ODE is relatively in line with building one's own computer, I've decided to just save some time, energy, and future peace of mind by purchasing a prebuilt. So... any custom configurations that anyone can come up with that can best either of those two systems at a comparable price would be great.

Lastly, I'm not exactly DYING to get my computer right now, so if you see any future hardware (Ivy Bridge, GTX 600 series, AMD 7000 series, etc.) as being particularly worth waiting for, I'd like to hear your reasons. Otherwise, I'll pull the trigger sometime in the near future.

Thanks to all who help!

Edited by Alex - 27 Oct 2011 at 12:53pm
I don't know sh*t about computers. Not. sh*t.
KalvinMM View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote KalvinMM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:53am
DST will most likely come in and ask/answer more questions but I'm almost certain unless your willing to spend around 3000 the ODE 3 will be all that's in your price range. The only downside really to the ODE 3 will be less options for future upgrades. But ODE 3 is still amazing.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:32am
Hi Boss Man,

You just can't beat the ODE-3 price and performance. You can get a custom system with a single 570 for $2400 and a SLI 570 system for $2800. A custom system will have better PSU, SSD, Mobo, Case/Air Cooling and Faster Hard Drive.

So if you are limited by budget it is the ODE-3. It has good equipment and top performance. The Custom has great equipment and top performance. The Custom offers better upgrade ability in the future due to a bigger power supply.

Frank
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:11pm
Based on talking to you before you know what you are doing, so I'm not sure why you need our help but nevertheless we are here to help.

for the res you mentioned I would go with sli 570 but the 2.5GB version, if you want good aa you gonna need more vram.

I'm not aware of new gpu's performance that come out in jan/feb but there are new ones coming out fyi.

also for that res we normally recommend dual sli with option to go tri sli, for that x79 would be best but its up to you, but in your price range I'm not sure what can be done with x79.

ivy bridge I don't believe is gonna be any big improvement over sb as far as cpu power goes.
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:42pm
I may know what I want, but I fully recognize that I'm still new to the online process. For that reason, I wanted to see if someone more familiar with DS could be able to spec out a better configuration than I myself was able to at my designated price range.

If nobody could (which seems to be the case), my second reason for asking is because I wanted to have a few other takes on whether Ivy Bridge and either the 7000 series or GTX 600 series were worth the wait in their opinion. I've heard too many conflicting release dates for them to have a good mental map as to the future release schedule.

Finally, DS released the ODE sometime early this past summer if I'm correct, and the original specs were a tiny bit different than the current levels on offer.

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Digital-Storm-ODE-Gaming-Rigs-Come-Water-Cooled-and-Overclocked-3.jpg/

As such, I am weary of buying right now if they plan on releasing an ODE version 2.0 with Ivy Bridge and next gen GPUs sometime late next spring. However, I don't even know if they plan on continuing the ODE line at all, but I'd assume they would as it seems to be wildly popular. My thinking, I guess, is that I'd much rather my system be the latest build offered for closer to 12 months after I purchase it, as opposed to only a few months. That being said, if the gains from Ivy and the 600 (or 7000) series would be minimal, I may as well just bite the bullet now.

As for tri SLI, my thinking is that by the time I'd need to add a third card in, there would already be a more cost effective performance solution in utilizing two newly released cards in a dual SLI format as opposed to three older ones in tri SLI.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 6:18pm
Ok when we say add a card we mean within the next 2 years otherwise you won't even find the card to go tri sli.

if your thinking is that you want dual sli then that gives us a bit of idea of what you are looking for.

I don't care or look at softpedia since they are a joke and basically a copy and paste site from other sites.

I can't tell you what the future of ode is, its hard to say, I assume with ivy bridge they will continue but I don't see it using the highend platform.

as for gpus we can't really say till they come out, but being they are so close personally I would wait.

at your budget and knowledge of changing parts, I'm thinking ode 3 is the way to go for you since you can change upgrade all the parts you like, otherwise I can't recommend a build to you with sli 570 under $2500.

I would be more then happy to help you config, just let me know what you are exactly looking for and keep in mind what I said about custom config/sli 570/and the budget.
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:37am
Yeah, but I strongly believe that when I plan to upgrade my GPUs (possibly 15 or more likely 27 months from now) that would be either the AMD 8000 series or GTX 700 series cards if I choose to upgrade sooner rather than later, or it would be the AMD 9000 series and the GTX 800 series cards that I would be installing as replacements. Not sure if the naming strategy will remain the same, but you get my point I assume. So, I'd prefer to dual SLI my future theoretical GTX 770 or AMD 8970 (or whatever they end up being called) than install a third GTX 570 at that date, or perhaps wait the extra year and then do the GTX 870 and AMD 9970. Obviously I would upgrade my PSU drastically out of necessity whenever I choose to install my new cards.

As for softpedia, I'm not even familiar with the site, the link was merely the first I came across on a simple Google search that had the initial launch chart for the ODE pricing structure that I was looking for, so I posted it to illustrate the slight changes that have been made in its already short lifespan. Reason for this of course being that I was trying to get an idea as to whether the ODE would receive a mini-refresh when new GPUs are released in a few months, or if they will overhaul the whole thing once Ivy Bridge hits the streets.

My thinking is leaning more towards your own, in that I don't really want to take the plunge just yet with new GPUs so close to launch, but with the ODE being a prebuilt with no customization options, you'd be at the mercy of DS and whatever cards they choose to include with the new builds. Fingers crossed, I guess...
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:43am
Wow, my OP was edited by moderators? I'm just about positive as to why (no, actually I AM positive) and I think that's rather unprofessional and immature what you (Alex) did there. Referencing another company's product (I will not mention their name again as you so wish) was not to convince others to buy said product, but rather to better illustrate the approximate build components I'm searching for. I was unaware that was a crime.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:49am
Sorry, I totally forgot to include my note at the bottom Oops. We try not to have users post our competitors and their products on our forums, as we're a business after all and we can't be hosting such things.

Edited by Alex - 28 Oct 2011 at 12:50am
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:00am
That's all well and good, but I've never before seen that kind of action taken with regard to the way I used it in my OP.

Had I said, "I was thinking about a DS build, but XYZ is so much better so I think everyone here should purchase from their company instead," or "ABC has the best configuration out on the market! It's so superior to the builds DS has!" that'd be one thing... but that's not exactly even on the same plane as what I did.

Should be written in your terms of agreement if that's the policy that you guys are going to enforce.

Even so, I'm still trying to give you guys my money sometime soon, haha.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:03am
No worries. I usually make a response and make a note about it, I was probably doing five things at the same time. Cool
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Boss Man

Yeah, but I strongly believe that when I plan to upgrade my GPUs (possibly 15 or more likely 27 months from now) that would be either the AMD 8000 series or GTX 700 series cards if I choose to upgrade sooner rather than later, or it would be the AMD 9000 series and the GTX 800 series cards that I would be installing as replacements. Not sure if the naming strategy will remain the same, but you get my point I assume. So, I'd prefer to dual SLI my future theoretical GTX 770 or AMD 8970 (or whatever they end up being called) than install a third GTX 570 at that date, or perhaps wait the extra year and then do the GTX 870 and AMD 9970. Obviously I would upgrade my PSU drastically out of necessity whenever I choose to install my new cards.

As for softpedia, I'm not even familiar with the site, the link was merely the first I came across on a simple Google search that had the initial launch chart for the ODE pricing structure that I was looking for, so I posted it to illustrate the slight changes that have been made in its already short lifespan. Reason for this of course being that I was trying to get an idea as to whether the ODE would receive a mini-refresh when new GPUs are released in a few months, or if they will overhaul the whole thing once Ivy Bridge hits the streets.

My thinking is leaning more towards your own, in that I don't really want to take the plunge just yet with new GPUs so close to launch, but with the ODE being a prebuilt with no customization options, you'd be at the mercy of DS and whatever cards they choose to include with the new builds. Fingers crossed, I guess...

Ya I totally get what you mean about the gpus but I'm saying if you find you need more then dual sli in the next 6 months then you are gonna be stuck. otherwise I would not recommend anybody to go tri sli in say 3 years, as you said at that time you upgrade to new gpus.

Right now since you don't need it right away, you have the luxury of waiting to see the new gpus and also see if the x79 will have any effect on p67 prices also, not to mention you get to see if you want to with x79 anyways, it does not hurt to look

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Oct 2011 at 1:39am
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:56am
Yeah, I've pretty much just about decided to sit tight for the moment. When the 570s arrived they offered the same performance as the 480s for $150 MSRP less per card, so I could be looking at some big potential savings by getting GTX 660 SLI or just upping the performance and going with the GTX 670 SLI at roughly the same configuration price as now. It really just depends on which cards DS chooses to incorporate into its new ODE builds when they are released.

Sidenote: Aside from unoptimized garbage like Metro 2033, I don't think there are currently any games on the market or soon to be released that really crush a strong dual SLI setup. Even with full tessellation, DX11, AA enabled, and at 2560x1600 a 570 SLI setup can maintain a respectable 30 fps. Not that I really care about playing Metro 2033 in the first place, haha.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 9:17pm
Well maybe not in the next few months but god knows whats gonna be what this time next year.
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 10:13pm
That what you have 4(!) 480s installed for? The gaming apocalypse?

Surely you're running multiple monitors or using it for something other than just gaming.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 10:31pm
lol for gaming I only go tri sli if needed but these days I mainly fold with this system, I game on others when I have the chance.
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 10:58pm
Fold? Not familiar with that. Googled it and got this:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

That what you're talking about? What does an individual computer contribute to the process? Why did you decide to get involved?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 11:54pm
Folding is a worldwide distributed computing effort conducted by Stanford University to understand how proteins assemble themselves. The real world applications of this research includes potential cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's. Nearly everyone's life has been touched by someone who has had one of these diseases or one of the many other diseases this research is aiming to cure. For more information, please see Stanford's Folding@Home website.

that should sum it up, there is so much work to do that even a super computer would have a problem,so they broke down the work to small pices and all of us fold and send results back to them where they put it together to try and finally get the whole picture.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Oct 2011 at 11:56pm
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:02am
Alex, will Digital Storm be implementing the recently announced AMD 7970 or 7950 into any of its ODE builds at the start of 2012 or will you guys simply wait until Nvidia comes out with its 600 series cards (probably in conjunction with Ivy)?

Also, will there be any chance of the prices of current ODE builds shifting to reflect their arrival?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 7:27am
I don't believe DS will go amd on ode, but it does not matter what I think lol, lets see what Alex says.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:17am
Not sure to be honest, it will depend on their prices and the performance ratio compared to the current ODE offerings.

We'll have to wait until they are released.

Also, in regards to a price shift, the configurations/prices may change when the hard drive price inflation stops, but, that may be until Q1 or Q2 of next year.

Edited by Alex - 03 Dec 2011 at 10:18am
Boss Man View Drop Down

Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:14am
Well, I've stuck it out this long so I don't see why I can't hold on a little while longer while everything rolls out. Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply