FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Computer - ODE or custom system?

Post Date: 2011-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cordcomp View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cordcomp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Computer - ODE or custom system?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 7:38pm
Hi-

I've been lurking here for quite a while now and I've decided to take the plunge for a new system.  I've been focusing on the Ode Levels 1 and 2, but I do have some concerns and questions.  I'll be using the computer mostly for gaming and some personal productivity and I'd prefer a relatively quiet system.  My current monitor has a native resolution 1920x1080 (though on my current old XP system I've kept the resolution at 1280x720), I have a mouse and keyboard, and I was hoping to keep the cost under $2000.

I like the value and optimization of the Ode 1, but I'm wondering about its upgradability.  I don't mind the fact that I can't do SLI with that system as long as I can upgrade the graphics card in a few years to keep things fairly current.  Does that sound reasonable or should I be looking at a custom system that's SLI-capable as a better upgrade path than replacing a single card?  Do you think that the psu included with the ODE 1 will be sufficient for a graphics card replacement a few years down the road?  I know that customizing a system will jump the price a few hundred dollars compared to an equivalent ODE system, so I'm trying to decide if that's worth it.

I was also looking at the ODE 2 because of some of the upgraded parts in that system, such as the Blu-Ray drive, the SSD, the slightly better graphics card and the more powerful psu.  It seems that people here on the forums aren't as fond of the ODE 2, but is that mostly because of the 580 vs. 570, lack of SLI or other reasons?  Are the upgrades in the ODE 2 not worth the price difference from the ODE 1?  Would the 800w psu have a better chance of supporting a newer graphics card in a few years than the 600w one in the ODE 1?

Finally, I had some questions about the SSD.  I certainly like the idea of everything running quicker, but SSD is still a relatively new technology and I'm more concerned about reliability than speed.  Have SSDs been around long enough to establish a record of reliability?  I'm particularly concerned about the model used in the ODE 2 & 3 systems, since there are a lot of reports about BSODs and other problems with it, though I understand the latest firmware updates have addressed some of those problems. Would I be better off waiting for the technology to mature a bit before getting a SSD, and just stick with a regular hard drive for now?

Anyhow, thanks for any help you can give me as I tentatively step from the forum's shadows.Ninja

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 7:57pm
the 800w will have better upgrade options then the 600w, also the 600w can't do sli period, the 800w can't do sli 580. but both ode 1 and 2 can't do sli cause of the mobo.

ssds been out long enough yes and for best reliability the intel 320 is the one that has it, its also the only one that has a 5 year warranty.

ode 1 has the same game performance pretty much, but it has a better cpu cooler, and it cost $500 less, for that price you can add a ssd and bd player yourself as you go, at the end you would have everything ode 2 has but better price and better cpu cooler.

at that res if you play games like metro and bf2 and want highest settings then you want sli.

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Oct 2011 at 7:57pm
Cordcomp View Drop Down

Quote Cordcomp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 1:59pm
Thank you for the suggestions.

I decided to go with the ODE 1 and upgrade as necessary later.  Hopefully when I'm ready for my next system, I'll be in a better position to get one a bit more beefy Strong.

Thanks again!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 5:18pm
My pleasure and good luck                             
 Post Reply Post Reply