FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Computer!

Post Date: 2022-02-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
furmand2008 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote furmand2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Computer!
    Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:19pm
Any opinions on this config?

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (8-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Software Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Office: - No Thanks
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 8:55pm
The first thing that stands out is Storage Set 1. Nowadays, you should go for some model of NVMe SSD. As far as I am aware -- was a recent change -- DS now provides Nan NVMe by default.

M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)

Note the "NVM Express" at the end.

You may have done the configuration before the change. If the NVMe model does not show up in the options list, perhaps start a new config and reselect your choices.

Next... I assume, you have chosen the HydroLux setup for the aesthetics. Just be aware, it does require some extra maintenance, even if just checking the reservoir fluid level routinely and "topping off" when necessary. With any liquid cooled components (including AIO) you should routinely check for leaks as best practice.

OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

I recommend skipping this. Foremost, current hardware, even the budget stuff, is not hindered by the "extra" services. In other words, the OS services load has increased very little over the decades but hardware performance has jumped hundreds of percent. Second, "crucial services" is partially subjective. While disabling some services will probably never limit your use, again, the services enabled enabled by default will not have any kind of noticeable difference in your experience.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:47am
My friend makes some good points. I have more.

Here is your build with an Intel 12700K in place of the 5800X. I had to use the 1TB DS NVMe SSD for storage 1 because the SATA drive no longer is sold:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4295838

When I replicate your build using the DS 1TB NVMe drive, and compare it to this one, the price is $119 less for the stronger and more advanced Intel rig. You get more cores, and more threads for less money. Here's the CPU comparison:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X/4119vs4085

You might want the Intel, it's just better.

You could do much better overall with a complete re-do on your storage. A Samsung 500TB 980 PRO is about 3 times faster than the DS NVMe at Storage 1. Combine that with a 1TB 970 PLUS at Storage 2, and you get about 5 times faster storage than the 240GB SATA SSDs. You have the same 1.5 TB of storage that is much faster, takes up less space, and will cost just an extra $23 more than your original design. Drop the "OS BOOST", and it's actually $7 cheaper.

Here's what that looks like:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4295848

We mostly agree here that overclocking video cards isn't all that wise. You don't get a lot more performance, but you do run the card hotter, and make the fans spin up more often for more noise. Up to you. I took that out of the above suggestion along with the OS waste of money. The smaller 980 PRO is a better size for your OS drive so it's easier to back up and scan. Every time you boot from that lightning quick drive, you'll be happy you got it. It's much more efficient to have the 1TB of space in one place for a games library at Storage 2.

These changes won't cost a dime extra, but IMHO they will vastly improve your experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply