FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Config Suggestions

Post Date: 2010-11-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WoodyCMH View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WoodyCMH Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Config Suggestions
    Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:51am
Hello folks,

Looking for some advice/tips for building a configuration, and would greatly appreciate any help.  Specifically, in trying to build one myself, I realized I really know little to nothing about all the various component offerings, and specifically how they tie in to cooling, power supply, motherboard requirements, etc. 

Budget: Targetting $3000, but pretty flexible if worth it

Expectations:  I typically do very little upgrading and tend to go for the higher-end options and simply buy a new one every 5 years or so.  I would like something that will have long-term staying power.  I prefer performance and quality over saving, so am perfectly willing to pay higher for a quality, lasting purchase

Usage:  Gaming, specifically some FPS, MMO, strategy, etc  Examples include TF2, Eve Online, Civilization V, and really looking forward to Star Wars: The Old Republic.  I don't do any high end video editing, animation, etc.

Special Requirements:  Computer will be in a relatively small room, with lots of other electronics(work computer, printer, big screen TV, Xbox, etc) which is upstairs where heat has been an issue, especially in the summer.

I will not be bringing forth anything from the current computer (an old Dell XPS, purchased in 2005) so will be looking for complete system including monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

Examples of some things I'm pretty ignorant about when I went through a configuration:

I like the SSD for the O/S, but is it worth upgrading from the 80GB Intel to the 120GB Corsair drive (seemed pretty cheap upgrade)?

Would a single high end card serve my needs or would an SLI solution be better?

Is 6GB plenty of memory, or should I jump up to the 12GB which looked like a pretty good value?

Unsure of what sort of cooling requirements would be appropriate.

Considering a move to a 28" display (currently 24").  Is the option offered here a good one, or am I better off looking for a monitor separately?

Is onboard sound perfectly adequate, or is it worth it to select a specific card?  I do play music via the computer, but am by no means an audiophile.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and as I said, I'm willing to pay a bit more if the upgrade is going to significantly increase the staying power of my purchase.

Woody
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:08am
The Intel SSD is the way to go.  If you want more storage space Intel now offers a 120GB drive.  You could contact DS and ask them to source and install one for you.  6GB is more than enough RAM, no benefit in going higher for your needs. 

Get all of your peripherals (monitor, mouse, keyboard) separately.  Check amazon, best buy, etc.. There are some great Cyber Monday deals.  The Noctua cooler is the best bang for the buck cooling option.  You could go w/ SLI 470s, but I would just go w/ one 580.  If you're not satisfied w/ the performance you can add another down the road. 

Start here:

ticket number: 464020
WoodyCMH View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote WoodyCMH Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 1:42pm
Thank you.  I used your suggested ticket number and tweaked a couple of thing. That was very helpful.

Thanks again!  Consider this thread closed.
 Post Reply Post Reply