FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New contender for Favorite Open World game?

Post Date: 2022-07-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New contender for Favorite Open World game?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 2:52pm
I dunno guys.. I've always been a Skyrim first, Fallout (all) second, Elite: Dangerous third, kinda person. This type of list has been around since I first started playing games because I ADORE the open worlds.

But, since I got my PSU problem sorted (and I was able to bounce back a couple years to play a game that I missed in my library
), I may have a new favorite. If not favorite a real contender to move one of those above off the list...

Red Dead Redemption 2. It's just amazing.

The following picture is taken on an 8 yo machine with a GTX1070... 5am sunrise coming through a heavy fog in the trees, in the deep south, hunting panthers on horseback..

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 3:10pm
I love RDR2. Put about 150-200 hours into it on my PS4 Pro. I have the online component for PC that I played some with a friend too. Very good game, unprecedented really in my opnion.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

I love RDR2. Put about 150-200 hours into it on my PS4 Pro. I have the online component for PC that I played some with a friend too. Very good game, unprecedented really in my opnion.

Currently at 175 hours and still in chapter 3.. that's how much I adore the "open world" aspect of these games. I've been all over the map pretty much ignoring the linear play through and it is glorious.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 3:42pm
I definitely agree! I'm not even a Trophy/Achievement hunter in general, but I got every single player Trophy on the PS4 version because of how much I just enjoyed exploring the world.

Trying not to spoil anything, but have you encountered any of the more spooky side events?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 4:02pm
I have encountered some darker images... yes, a few... under the railroad bridge at Valentine, a few 'staked out' rocks here and there.. lol

My plan right now is to get all legendary animals/fish available... I know there are a few I can't get due to chapter progression... yet and still, exploring with no goal other than to explore is its own reward. =)
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 9:00pm
I have Red Dead Redemption also. I enjoy riding my horse taking in the beautiful scenery. Being able to interact playing poker is a cool thing that I like in it.

I just picked up Microsoft Flight Simulator and have been messing around with it. I like that it has the Top Gun Maverick jets to kick in afterburners and streak through the skies. :-) Hope to send more time flying around. I got my Private Pilot's license on my 17th birthday on my 40th hour earliest you could get it. I was certified in Cessnas 150, 172, 177, 182. I flew a few more different ones over the years. Unfortunately, I haven't flown in decades. :-(

Red Dead Redemption is simply a great virtual reality world that is awfully addicting. Great game!!!!

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 9:39pm
Funny... The reason I ended up playing RDR2 was that I had planned to get games like MS Flight Simulator when I got the new machine I was building a few months ago... but then life happened and some things had to be sacrificed.

So, until I can get into a recent generation of GPUs (Or until I can convince Alex to give me a much steeper discount than he's already most generously offered ) I'll get to catch up on the un-played games in my library on the 8yo machine.

C'est la vie...

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 11:18pm
Snaike,

I got a decent price on MSFS. It was $50.99 after taxes. It has an incredibly large memory footprint. Something like 300GB if you load a lot of the stuff. I will at least say that the graphics makes it seem pretty realistic.

Good luck on getting that discount increased. :-)

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 12:29am
LOL.. thanks, but you misunderstood. It wasn't the game that got sacrificed, but the new DS machine.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 12:42am
I starting playing RDR2 a couple of years ago and then just wandered to other games. After reading this I think I’ll fire it up again.   Definitely a beautiful, open world game.

Put about 300hours into Elden Ring. Still getting my butt handed to me by some of the bosses. Tough, frustrating but awesome game. Raft is also addicting.   Low level graphics but time flies playing it.

Time to reinstall RDR2.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 10:38am
I still haven't played Elden Ring. I have a hard time justifying paying full price for a game when my backlog is so large. Big%20Smile That said I've really enjoyed most of From Software's titles going all the way back to Armored Core for the PS1. So I'll probably pick up Elden Ring at some point.

It's funny you mention Raft, I just picked that up now that it finally hit 1.0 after watching it for a few years. Being having a lot of fun with it so far and it's mostly relaxing other than the wildlife that seems bound by some otherworldly pact to try to murder you. LOL
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 11:17am
Yep, in Raft once you get the hang of collecting water and food, all consuming initially, it gets addicting.    I hate that screecher bird bombing me with stones. LOL. My only complaint is the same one as Elden Ring…no multi saves, like before a battle or trying something new. You die and Raft takes all your good stuff and Elden Ring takes all your runes( experience points).    Kind of like Valheim.    With all my swearing I still have to see what’s next.   

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 11:50am
I am also partial to Valheim. Currently waiting the Mistlands update, but played through the available content twice now. Can't wait to see what they come up with when the game is finally finished.

One of the best Early Access games to date, imho.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 12:39pm
I had forgotten Valheim was Early Access, that’s how good it is in my opinion.    

Dang, now I want to get back into Valheim.

Valheim, RDR2 which I just reloaded, Raft, Elden Ring…… I might have to give up sleep and curtail eating.

Happy gaming.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 12:41pm
Plus Call of Duty and it’s new season in a couple of months.    Wonder if I can multi task and play two at a time.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:29pm
I enjoy RDR2 but haven't played the on-line community version yet. It would be cool if a bunch of the Digital Storm RDR2 players met up there someday.

I have been happy enough just riding the range and doing fun cowboy stuff. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply