FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New CPU Heatsink

Post Date: 2008-02-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New CPU Heatsink
    Posted: 16 Feb 2008 at 8:37pm
Well, if you read this Duke, I lied, I was not in fact able to resist the temptation to rip out my motherboard and replace the factory TIM for long. .

I thought while I was at it, I would try to install a bit more capable heatsink and see what the results might be.  I cleaned all of the termal interface paste/pads from under the SPP and MCP heatsinks, as well as the MOSFET heatsinks on my 680i. The results were interesting to say the least.

Whereas my MCP temps were hovering around 45*C, they are now hovering closer to 35*C. Certainly not everyone will care about such things, but it would be great to see DSO offer an option in the configuration screen to do this before systems ship (hint, hint ).

For the heatsink, I wanted something a bit quieter than the AC Freezer 7 Pro is under load, and preferably something that could handle the heat of an overclocked quad core a bit better. I tried out one of Xigmatek's Heatpipe Direct Touch S1283 CPU HSF's and paid under $40 for this unit at Newegg. It was installed using some Arctic Cooling MX-2 ceramic based TIM. Best $45 I have spent in a long time. All I can say, is *wow*.

My old OC was 2.97 GHz, here's a screenie of my new best pal in action:

My temp bottleneck right now is my case (an extreme or Ultra would definately be better than my Pro case) as I have had this up close to 3.5GHz and even under Prime95 small FFT load, the cores stay under 65*C with the side panel removed. Not too shabby for a B3 chip on air I think. I am going to follow what I believe was either Duke or Vinces' advice and cut a hole in the side window for a 120mm fan next.

I don't want to be responsible for anyone not comfortable working with ESD sensitive items wrecking their systems, so I'm not saying everyone should run right out and do this, but I wonder if DSO has any plans on offering a bit beefier air cooling option as a sort of mid way point between liquid and air cooling with an economical unit like the AC Freezer 7 Pro.

Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 2:00am
Bravo Tyler,

I've never heard of that particular heatsink myself, but it looks like a clone copy of the Thermalright Ultra Extreme (heatsink).    I'd like to see some pictures of your current board now.
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 11:41am
Sure Duke

This shot is from head on. It doesn't really show the size of the S1283, but it does show that this HSF leaves all 4 RAM DIMMS unobstructed.

Here's one from an isometric view. Here you can see just how high up off the mainboard this thing sits. I wanted to mount it so exhaust towards  the rear case fan, but it won't clear the SPP heat sink on the 680i A1.

At some point, I am going to get some cable wrap, and *really* clean up that wiring. I can feel the urge every time I look inside the case. Before that happens, however, I really want to install a side intake fan. I'm going to see how that goes before making a decision on installing a top mounted fan.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 18 Feb 2008 at 11:51am
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 4:00pm
Thats a funky looking ram cooler. Never seen that before either .
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 2:36pm
My OCD kicked in and I took a trip to the automotive supply store in town to pick up some flexible wiring conduit.

FYI: The RAM cooler is a Thermaltake.

I was thinking about the enhanced wiring offered. Something for DSO to chew on. Automotive wiring conduit is easy to work with, and comes in a variety of colors. Combined with color coordinated zip ties, this sort of wiring job might be very much appealing to customers, possibly as much or more so than a couple of round cables. I spent $15 on the conduit and used maybe 20% of it. The application took about 20 minutes, and this was my first attempt.

Just a thought.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 23 Feb 2008 at 4:29pm
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 7:00pm
Looks good man.
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
Glenn-HI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Glenn-HI Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 4:45am
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 9:11am
Nice work Tyler. You da man!
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply