Post Date: 2007-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Customer
    Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 10:19pm
Just ordered my system today.  Below is my config.  Was wondering if someone could take a look and see what you think.  Thanks.  It's in Stage 1.

Case: Digital Storm Twister EXTREME (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 1000W Thermaltake (8800 GTX SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI) (A1 Revision)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2 (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Media: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 250GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: 250GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800ULTRA 768MB (By: eVGA / Asus) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (Up to 7.1 Channel) (Recommended)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink (Copper Heatpipes)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Blue Edition)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Includes Service Pack 2)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Microsoft Works Suite 2006 (Word, Streets and Trips, Money, Works 8, Encarta)
LCD Display: Samsung 22 inch (Widescreen) (Black) (High-Performance Gaming Display)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: Logitech 2.1 System (Black Edition) (Model R20) (Includes Subwoofer)
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Desktop 2.0 (Multimedia Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Edited by cyberman - 29 Aug 2007 at 10:27pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 10:29pm
You didn't select a raid option for your HDDs.

Unless you plan on upgrading in the future, 1000W PSU is overkill.

Windows XP 32-bit system can't recognize 4GB of ram.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 10:36pm
I did'n want the RAID.  I wanted another hard drive for games and such.  So, if XP won't rcognize 4GB of memory, what does and how much more?  So I have to redo my config for 4GB?  How much does XP Pro recognize? 

I plan on upgrading to 2 video cards in the future.  Want to make sure I have enough power to drive everything.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 10:41pm
Only 64-bit systems can recognize 4GB or more memory.

How much memory XP can recognize depends on the hardware you have. I estimate your system will recognize ~2.4GB
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 11:04pm
So, with the CPU I have, will XP-Pro 64bit run in the system and recognize 4GB?  Also, with the 64bit version, will there be any compatibility issues with the hardware or software I have?

If I reduce the memory to 2GB Carsair 1066MHZ Dominator
and reduce the power supply to 750W Thermaltake is that good enough and will everything work ok?

I thought I was computer savvy.  Guess I ooped de-goofed and forgot the XP limit.  OOPS Confused

I will be using the system for GAMING and surfing the net.  No online gaming though.  I was told also that I can't get 2 SLI video configuration because of the sound board and restrictions of space.  Why is it available in the configurator if you can't get it?

Edited by cyberman - 29 Aug 2007 at 11:55pm
Kenny View Drop Down

Digital Storm Engineering

Quote Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 2:00am
You have a great config, I think you better get 2GB 1066MHz Dominator than 4GB of 800MHz.

If you want to upgrade in future, you don't need to down-grade any things else, because the 1000W PSU is very need for you to upgrade 2X Dual nVidia GeForce 8800ULTRA 768MB Video Card. Remeber, 750W PSU is not helpful for your upgrade in future... You will need 1000W PSU for your new Series of nvidia video card coming next 3-4 months.

If you have 4GB of Ram, Windows Vista just show only 2GB Ram, but your system is running 4GB of Ram. That not mean, windows vista show 2GB of Ram and your system is running only 2GB of Ram, NO. Therefor, your system is always running 4GB of Ram if you have 4GB RAM.
We're here with you !    &(*_~)&
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 2:51am
As of right now, you only have one PCI device, so you can do a SLI setup of your video cards. If you want us to add another video card, let us know, we will be more than happy to.

If you have TWO PCI devices (Example: Sound card, and PhysX) card, then we will run into fitting problems if you are going with dual 8800's in SLI.

Originally posted by cyberman

So, with the CPU I have, will XP-Pro 64bit run in the system and recognize 4GB?  Also, with the 64bit version, will there be any compatibility issues with the hardware or software I have?

If I reduce the memory to 2GB Carsair 1066MHZ Dominator
and reduce the power supply to 750W Thermaltake is that good enough and will everything work ok?

I thought I was computer savvy.  Guess I ooped de-goofed and forgot the XP limit.  OOPS Confused

I will be using the system for GAMING and surfing the net.  No online gaming though.  I was told also that I can't get 2 SLI video configuration because of the sound board and restrictions of space.  Why is it available in the configurator if you can't get it?
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 6:10am
Leave the 1000W power supplyAdd the Physics card.  Leave 2GB Carsair 1066MHZ Dominator as above.  How's that sound for the XP Pro system as configured?  If I upgrade to another video card for SLI configuration later, will I have anymore problems then?  I think then I would have to take out the sound board at that time and would have no problem with the Physics board left in.  Is this true?

Edited by cyberman - 30 Aug 2007 at 7:12am
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 9:10am
If I change the OS to Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, upgrade to 2X 8800 Ultra, or 2x 8800 GTX,  keep the 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2 (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance), keep the 1000W Thermaltake (8800 GTX SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower Edition),
 take out the sound board and install the Physics board, enable the onboard sound, will this configuration work and will my existing games games that now work on my old Xp system work with this new one one?

Will this Vista Ultimate 64-bit version see and USE the 4GB of memory?

I have been doing alot of research since ordering and it looks like Vista is the way to go because it has directx10.  And to take advantage of everything, physics card and a SLI config is the way to go for now and future updates and games and stuff.

Any help greatly appreciated.  I'm so confused and got a great headache and eyeache!Dead  All night researching is definately hard to the head and eyes! LOL

cyber

Edited by cyberman - 30 Aug 2007 at 9:27am
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 10:26am
You can get the Windows Vista Premium 64-bit version since you only going to be gaming and not doing work.

You do not need a physics card, only 1 out of every 1000 games use it. It is a total waste of money that could be spent on something else.
Kenny View Drop Down

Quote Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 11:25am
Sound great, you can change the OS to Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, upgrade to 2X 8800 Ultra, or 2x 8800 GTX 768MB, 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance), keep the 1000W Thermaltake (8800 GTX SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower Edition), keep the sound card. Later on, you can add another 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz.

skyR is right, you do not need a physics card because your system is faster performance for your gaming and work.
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 11:39am
Well, unfortunately I am now asking for a refund.  I am so confused I want time to reconsider my options and will do something later.  So, I ask that now. 
Do appreciate the advise and replies here.

Cyber
Minion View Drop Down

Quote Minion Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 1:57pm
"cyberman" I know exactly how you feel.   With the exception that I am not computor savy I have read several threads here, all which have helped me in making a better decision.... Take your time, read some, ask more questions.  

It's been my experience here that everyone is willing to help.  The DS personnel are knowledable and will guide you along.  
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 9:12pm
Well, after talking about it and working through some issues, here is the final configuration I went with.  Let me know what ya think:

Digital Storm Desktop 38677 1 Case: Digital Storm Twister EXTREME (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 1000W Thermaltake (8800 GTX SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI) (A1 Revision)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Media: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 250GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: 250GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (nVidia GeForce 8800GTX ACS3 768MB (By: eVGA) (Overcloked Edition)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: Ageia PhysX P1 128MB
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink (Copper Heatpipes)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Blue Edition)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Microsoft Works Suite 2006 (Word, Streets and Trips, Money, Works 8, Encarta)
LCD Display: Samsung 22 inch (Widescreen) (Black) (High-Performance Gaming Display)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: Logitech 2.1 System (Black Edition) (Model R20) (Includes Subwoofer)
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Desktop 2.0 (Multimedia Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Cyber
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 9:20pm
Physics card isn't worth the money.
jimbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 9:21pm
I heard/read that  Vista 64 has better security etc. BUT does no support a lot of 32 bit applications because of it's driver restrictions. Also there has been a lot of talk about drivers and Vista enven the32 bit version.
If anyone has played any of the games, new and/or old, on 64bits it would be great to know.
Life's too short
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 10:12pm
He's looking for a system that can take advantage of every technology. That's why he went with the PhysX card. We had a PCI slot to work with, and the PhysX card was a item he personally wanted to put inside the machine.

Having a PhysX card isn't going to do any harm.

--- The reason why I am saying this is because I was on the phone with him today talking about what he was looking for ---

Originally posted by skyR

Physics card isn't worth the money.

Edited by Alex - 30 Aug 2007 at 11:13pm
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 2:54am
I was going back to look at the stages of build but I can't find the info on the website.  I am on stage 1, I think there are 3.  What are they?  What happens in each?  I wish I could find that. 

Edited by cyberman - 31 Aug 2007 at 4:29am
Kenny View Drop Down

Quote Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 3:45am
If you want to get another shipping method, you have to call us ASAP before your system going to ship out. What is your order number?
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 4:27am
Order no. 5099

I have paid for the 3 day air.  I don't want to change it. 

Just wondering what the different stages are.  I saw it when I purchased it, but can't find the explanations on the website about the different stages of building the system.  I just looked at status and it says:

Stage 1: (Production: Assembly & Integration)
Your system is being hand-built by a Digital Storm Assembly Technician. We take great pride in building the best computer systems with the highest quality standards in the industry. If the technician finds an issue with the configuration, they will be in contact with you shortly.

Estimated Shipment Date: 6-8 business days (Mon-Fri) from 8/29/2007

What's next and then after that?
Cyber

Edited by cyberman - 31 Aug 2007 at 4:28am
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 1:53pm
They're selling "overcloked" video cards now? Clown
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by 4261

They're selling "overcloked" video cards now? Clown

Oh , yeah. Quite a few manufacturers are selling OC video card now: BFG and E-Vga is just 2 examples.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 1:03pm
Stage 2: Testing
Stage 3: Packaging

It will take about a full 10 business days to ship. We are backed up at the moment. If we have any problems with he build, we might have to hold it back a few extra days to make sure you receive nothing but the very best. We never sacrifice quality over speed.

Originally posted by cyberman

Order no. 5099

I have paid for the 3 day air.  I don't want to change it. 

Just wondering what the different stages are.  I saw it when I purchased it, but can't find the explanations on the website about the different stages of building the system.  I just looked at status and it says:

Stage 1: (Production: Assembly & Integration)
Your system is being hand-built by a Digital Storm Assembly Technician. We take great pride in building the best computer systems with the highest quality standards in the industry. If the technician finds an issue with the configuration, they will be in contact with you shortly.

Estimated Shipment Date: 6-8 business days (Mon-Fri) from 8/29/2007

What's next and then after that?
Cyber
Gary View Drop Down
  Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 9:42pm
When a system is about to be shipped, do you notify the customers of an exact shipping date?

Reason I ask is I would have to take off work to be home for a shipment.

thanks
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 3:21pm
When a system ships, you will receive a email with a tracking number. You can track the package with the tracking number and it will show you the exact date of delivery.
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 8:30pm
Thanks a bunch.  As far as customer service, from previous posts, you can see I was going to cancel my order.  After that, I was contacted by several people from techs to Alex to talk to me about my concerns and answer technical questions I had and configuration questions.  I changed my mind, and continued with order.

Many thanks and anxiously awaiting my new machine! SmileClap
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 4:05pm
Thank you for giving us the chance to clear everything up for you. Enjoy your Monday!
inshadeoftree View Drop Down

Quote inshadeoftree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 4:39pm
...I am lurking in these pages on my old computer...anxiously awaiting my new twister...5047..and man do I like to watch how the problems and questions give an insiders view at what it takes to run your business...what the hell are you guys gonna do when it gets busy?  Oh baby it will... 

600W Thermaltake,Intel Core 2 DuoE67502,nVidia650iCore2Quad,2GBCorsair,150GBWesternDigitalraptor 10K, NVIDIA 460 GTX, AirCooled Stage3,Blizzard Internal Lighting,Vista Home Premium

cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 6:47pm
Well, all I can say is I have become a forum junkie once again.  Since I ordered my system, I catch myself coming back to the website and forums and reading, replying, and posting.  Hadn't really done that in a long, long time.  So I guess DS is causing more than me just buying something.  Way to go DS!  LOLLOL

Can't wait to see the status of my computer go through the changes till I get that email saying it's being shipped then it getting here.  Now let's see, where's that time warp thingy.....

Hey DS, got one of those in stock?!  I can't seem to find mine!

cyber
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 9:08pm
What's the difference between the 680i Core Two Quad, and the 680i LT Core Two Quad?
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 6:24pm
Hey Alex,

Just wondering how it's going on the computer.  Order #5099.
I know you guys are busy, just wondering and anxious.Wink
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by EdH63

What's the difference between the 680i Core Two Quad, and the 680i LT Core Two Quad?

Go here,

Has a short answer for ya.
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyberman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 8:10pm

Well, I feel kinda disapponted.  After reading all the reviews, ordering a system, all the prompt replies from DS about my questions and a couple phone calls, I asked about my status 2 times and have gotten NO RESPONSE over the past two days.Unhappy

One to Alex (see above for Alex), the other to Kelly (PM).  I know Kelly read my message cause I got email saying it was read.  Prompt replies before this, sometimes a couple minutes to couple hours.

So, what do I believe now?  I have read where they are real busy.  Hmmm, just wondering.

cyberConfused

(Had to edit names.  Dislexia got the best of me.  I had Alex and Kelly reversed.  Ooops)

Edited by cyberman - 06 Sep 2007 at 9:13pm
KnightTemplar View Drop Down

Quote KnightTemplar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 8:48pm
You know, sometimes e-mail and PM's takes short vacation. During that time, you cannot send or receive any of those two.

Hehehe, kidding.

I doubt they just decided to not call you back, busy seems like a good guess to me. Or it was just lost somewhere... The internet is a dangerous place.

God, I'm such a great comic-man today Wacko
Please accept my apologies for any grammar errors. English is not my first language and I'm currently learning it.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 8:56pm
Well, I tell ya what I do.  I pick up the phone and call them direct.  I did this morning and and spoke to Dave too make a change to my order.  Nothing like talking direct with the chiefs.  These guys have to be extremely loaded with business all day long, so I can see how difficult it could be to get to the forums all the time and respond promptly.  The past testimonials on these forums have convinced me that these guys will produce according to a standard that they have set for themselves in this industry.

I sent a PM to Alex yesterday and he hasn't answered either, but I'm not looking at that as an indicator that they're falling short.  I just pick up the phone the next day and call.  The cool thing about this company is that it doesn't matter who you started out talking to first, anyone of these people here can pick up right where you left off and continue to answer and serve as if it were them from the beginning.  All of these guys that I've talked to so far have completely fulfilled an expectation of mine... great service.

I would encourage anyone who is getting frustrated because they haven't been responded to yet, too get on the phone and call them and talk to them personally.  There is nothing like personal contact to get to know people more intimately.  The internet is only so good.  This is the kind of company that is worth talking to personally and getting to know better.  And think about it, wouldn't you want someone to call you personally and stroke you about the job you're doing?  Man, that goes a long way with people when you offer that kind of connection.

Pick up the phone and call them.  I guarantee you they would appreciate the personal effort you put into it.    

Edited by EdH63 - 06 Sep 2007 at 8:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>