FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Customer!

Post Date: 2019-09-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Customer!
    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 1:54pm
Smile

Hello all!
Welcome, I recently submitted an order for a new PC from DS. It is my first time ordering a gaming rig from an online vendor. I normally have them built from a great local computer store.

I know it will be several weeks at least before I receive the rig, but I am excited. Anything you can share with me about your ordering experiences or what you did after you received your machine would be great!
Thanks!
RR

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:29am
Congratulations and welcome to DS.Awesome

Please excuse the curiosity, what did you order? You will be very pleased with the results and quality.
Big%20Smile

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 4:44am
Welcome!

I've had three DS rigs, and am still waiting for my first disappointment about anything. Good luck.
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:56am
Thank you!!
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:59am
Hello, sure!

1. CPU: Intel I9-9900K
2. Nvidia 2070 Super
3. 32 gigs of ram
4. 500 gig M2 Nvme SSD Boot and 2TB Storage
5. Lynx Case.
6. A few RGB Options

I really simply want a speedy and quality gaming rig that I can keep for the next four years...this makes my wife much happier!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:42am

Awesome
That is a nice system and Strong.
Anything to keep "she who must be obeyed" happy, even if its getting a super gaming system. Oh the sacrifices we make. Wink
Keep us posted and maybe an image or two when the pc gets home would be appreciated. Big%20Smile
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:04pm
Any recommendations on a decent monitor? I am not really worried about 4K gaming...almost pointless right?
But screen size should be at 32 or a bit more. Naturally wife must be happy with price (Frustrated).

What do you all think?
I prefer to play FPS but I do engage in WOW and some RPGs.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 12:18am
Don't have any wide screen monitors to suggest. Personally have (for gaming) an Asus PG279Q (1440/144Hz, don't have it oc). Dell and Acer models are also some of the ones that have been recommended.

Good luck.  Big%20Smile
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 1:13pm
I have this monitor Asus PG279Q 27 inch is perfect and the price is right. BTW the 2070 super is good but you will want better FPS and for that monitor, I suggest the 2080 super best bang for your buck. Never go cheap on your GPU or your monitor.
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:56pm
You are correct...SHE MUST BE HAPPY!

Awesome
That is a nice system and Strong.
Anything to keep "she who must be obeyed" happy, even if its getting a super gaming system. Oh the sacrifices we make. Wink
Keep us posted and maybe an image or two when the pc gets home would be appreciated. Big%20Smile
[/QUOTE]
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Don't have any wide screen monitors to suggest. Personally have (for gaming) an Asus PG279Q (1440/144Hz, don't have it oc). Dell and Acer models are also some of the ones that have been recommended.

Good luck.  Big%20Smile

THANK YOU! I will look into those monitors.
Big%20Smile
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by ThePinkGoat

I have this monitor Asus PG279Q 27 inch is perfect and the price is right. BTW the 2070 super is good but you will want better FPS and for that monitor, I suggest the 2080 super best bang for your buck. Never go cheap on your GPU or your monitor.

Great information, thank you!
The 2080 Super was my dream card, but I had to stay within a max limit or I end up sleeping in my garage for a few days! Cry
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Welcome!

I've had three DS rigs, and am still waiting for my first disappointment about anything. Good luck.

THREE RIGS!  How long have you been building and collecting with DS?
Drooling
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 11:36pm
Since 2010.
Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 9:15am

Hey everyone!

I know that I must be patient as DS will take its time to build and test my new system. I understand that. But normally, how long does it take to get your rig? One month, two months?
Chilling
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 10:24am
I'm a bit late to this party, but I'll give a few thoughts based on your posts in this thread so far. Big%20Smile

1. I can't speak to monitors, haven't bought one since 2010. Dell used to make awesome monitors (so long as you went with their upper-end series), no idea if that holds up anymore. Sounds like you already have a few recommendations here though.

2. With Digital Storm patience is key. Please don't take that as me saying you've been impatient, you haven't. Big%20Smile But a lot of the concern that crops up with DS is not with their build quality but with misunderstandings/miscommunications about build time. I own two DS rigs (they're in my signature; technically I don't own Mr. Bojangles anymore but it is still running strong) and between the two of them I've had decent waits on both, with the Bolt (Mrs. Bojingles) taking slightly longer than expected. This might sound crazy in the world of two day-shipping on budget rigs (that will die in 3 months), but I would mentally prepare yourself for 1 - 2 months of waiting. I've not hit 2 months, but I have waited over a month before, so if you are expecting that time frame and it comes sooner, then it's a pleasant surprise and if it does take that long then you aren't disappointed. Awesome

3. Building on point 2. We're (mostly LOL) DS fans here on the forums and while we encourage people to have patience, the fact of the matter is that you are paying DS, a lot of money, to deliver a product. So, if you have any questions or concerns. Contact DS. Post on the forum for sure, but contact DS. If DS doesn't return your call/email/etc. in a timely manner, then contact DS management. Some might balk at me suggesting you contact management, but you're paying for the service. While forum members can try to help and are here to chat, we can't answer any specific timeline/build/testing/etc. questions for you - only DS can. So don't fret about contacting DS, in fact I'd encourage it. Now, don't go crazy ex and call them 16 times a day, but if you have questions or concerns do reach out to them and give them a reasonable amount of time to respond. Strong I'll be the first one to tell you that DS is not perfect insofar as timely responses go, but I'll also tell you that in nearly 10 years of dealing with them I've only had one interaction with them where I wasn't entirely pleased with the result. That's a pretty good track record, especially compared to other companies which shall not be named where 90% of my interactions with them made me want to smash heads into a wall.

4. After you've received your machine be sure to give it a good look-over for damage. I've had no shipping damage (and I've used a DS box for two international moves), but it does happen. DS to their credit has basically created a space program of box technology, but as someone who once worked in "logistics" some parts of the transport chain could destroy even an Abrams tank, so you just have to hope for the best. It's unlikely anything will happen, but as soon as you get the rig is the best time to check. Once you've made sure everything looks ok, be sure to play around with the machine a little bit, maybe play a game or two. I realize you'll probably do this anyway Hahaha but what I'm getting at is that I wouldn't recommend getting the machine then letting it sit for a month only to find some issue after all that time has passed. Since you've gone with a local build before, you likely haven't had to deal with shipping concerns, so it's good to have an upfront check on such things.

5. After you know everything is working good. Tell the family you love them and then disappear for a few weeks. LOL

Chitownrr View Drop Down

Quote Chitownrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 2:57pm
Drooling

Hey Tidgxor. Welcome to the party! I really appreciate your in depth and thoughtful reply...thank you.

I have never given my rig a name before...but you inspire. I was thinking "Wife Replacer"(Whoa)  or I will need to be a bit more creative and less offensive to her. Without my wife, this transaction never happens.

Anyway, onto patience. Yes, I will be patient. I understand that custom build such these will take a month to two. That is okay by me. I am normally an impatient man ( I asked my wife to marry me after 6 weeks of dating)Crazy but DS makes high quality systems and patience will eventually lead to gold.

Trust me, once the machine arrives, I will be examining it within seconds. And yes, I have already told the wife that she is assume she is single again for two to three weeks. All I ask is that she leave fresh water and protein bar near my office door!Love

Thank you.

Now...what to call my rig when it arrives....

Originally posted by Tidgxor

I'm a bit late to this party, but I'll give a few thoughts based on your posts in this thread so far. Big%20Smile

1. I can't speak to monitors, haven't bought one since 2010. Dell used to make awesome monitors (so long as you went with their upper-end series), no idea if that holds up anymore. Sounds like you already have a few recommendations here though.

2. With Digital Storm patience is key. Please don't take that as me saying you've been impatient, you haven't. Big%20Smile But a lot of the concern that crops up with DS is not with their build quality but with misunderstandings/miscommunications about build time. I own two DS rigs (they're in my signature; technically I don't own Mr. Bojangles anymore but it is still running strong) and between the two of them I've had decent waits on both, with the Bolt (Mrs. Bojingles) taking slightly longer than expected. This might sound crazy in the world of two day-shipping on budget rigs (that will die in 3 months), but I would mentally prepare yourself for 1 - 2 months of waiting. I've not hit 2 months, but I have waited over a month before, so if you are expecting that time frame and it comes sooner, then it's a pleasant surprise and if it does take that long then you aren't disappointed. Awesome

3. Building on point 2. We're (mostly LOL) DS fans here on the forums and while we encourage people to have patience, the fact of the matter is that you are paying DS, a lot of money, to deliver a product. So, if you have any questions or concerns. Contact DS. Post on the forum for sure, but contact DS. If DS doesn't return your call/email/etc. in a timely manner, then contact DS management. Some might balk at me suggesting you contact management, but you're paying for the service. While forum members can try to help and are here to chat, we can't answer any specific timeline/build/testing/etc. questions for you - only DS can. So don't fret about contacting DS, in fact I'd encourage it. Now, don't go crazy ex and call them 16 times a day, but if you have questions or concerns do reach out to them and give them a reasonable amount of time to respond. Strong I'll be the first one to tell you that DS is not perfect insofar as timely responses go, but I'll also tell you that in nearly 10 years of dealing with them I've only had one interaction with them where I wasn't entirely pleased with the result. That's a pretty good track record, especially compared to other companies which shall not be named where 90% of my interactions with them made me want to smash heads into a wall.

4. After you've received your machine be sure to give it a good look-over for damage. I've had no shipping damage (and I've used a DS box for two international moves), but it does happen. DS to their credit has basically created a space program of box technology, but as someone who once worked in "logistics" some parts of the transport chain could destroy even an Abrams tank, so you just have to hope for the best. It's unlikely anything will happen, but as soon as you get the rig is the best time to check. Once you've made sure everything looks ok, be sure to play around with the machine a little bit, maybe play a game or two. I realize you'll probably do this anyway Hahaha but what I'm getting at is that I wouldn't recommend getting the machine then letting it sit for a month only to find some issue after all that time has passed. Since you've gone with a local build before, you likely haven't had to deal with shipping concerns, so it's good to have an upfront check on such things.

5. After you know everything is working good. Tell the family you love them and then disappear for a few weeks. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply