FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New desktop for cad/day trading

Post Date: 2020-11-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timothysoup View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timothysoup Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New desktop for cad/day trading
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:14am
Budget:
[$3000]

Expectations:
[best graphics and streaming]

Usage:
[Mostly day trading]

Special Needs:
[Strongest wifi connection, considering 2-Samsung 49" G9 monitors but will take suggestions. I will be streaming 8 stock charts at a time. I am not very tech savy so I need a lot of help]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:04am
AMD builds have the best built-in Wi-Fi board for a reasonable price IMHO, so here is one of those that is well inside your budget, but has the most recent and powerful parts:

3567881    Cost is $2735 after discount.

I built it into a Lynx case so you could have some RGB fans at no extra cost. If you wish, a Lumos would be $116 more, and no RGB fans unless you apid a lot more for them.

The processor and graphics card have just come on the market, and they are extremely fast and powerful. You could opt for an Nvidia RTX 3080, but the AMD Radeon 6800XT just gets a little extra speed and bandwidth from mating with an AMD Ryzen 5900. This is a very powerful machine. The storage is extremely fast and quite enough for your needs for a very long time. 32 GB of RAM to help streaming and multi-tasking.

This rig is all PCIe Generation 4. Trust me, that's important for a build that will last many years. If you switched to an Intel processor, it would not only be a slight downgrade in # of cores, but it would create a nearly obsolete PCIe Generation 3 that would not measure up should you need to add a part or two in the future. It would also cost quite a bit more for built-in Wi-Fi.

Come back if you have questions.

Quote timothysoup Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:48am
First, thank you for helping me. I know very little about what makes a computer fast and I want to make sure I buy something that is going to be much better than what I currently have which I purchased about 4 years ago for about the same cost as the one you built.

Dell XPS 9560 Signature Edition
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.81 GHz
32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

I also have been considering a new Dell XPS 9700

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10875H (16MB Cache, up to 5.1 GHz, 8 cores)

laptop
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English

videocard
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 with Max-Q

memory
64GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x32G

harddrive
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive.

Do you think the one you have built would be substantially more powerful than the 9700 that cost $3650? I was going to connect (2) 49" monitors to it.

Hope I'm not putting you on the spot by comparing your to a competitor.
I saw some DS systems on YT and was impressed and wanted to learn more.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:02am
Darn near every desktop is going to crush a laptop unless it's a POS. Everytime. And not have the heat issues.

The GPU in this build is 84% stronger in every measure than the GPU in the laptop, so guess which one will never falter.

I don't think you need 64 GB of RAM just to look at market screens, but you could upgrade that and still be well under the lappy price.

The ONLY THING the laptop has going is portability, and if you don't need that, you want the DS build.

BTW, I'm just a customer like you, but I know a little so I help folks make their choices as a hobby. i just hope I helped you.

Quote timothysoup Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:12am
I do appreciate your help very much.
I think I will go with the DS.

So one more ? if you don't mind.
I was considering the Samsung G9 49" monitors (2)
Are they worth the money or do you think I would notice a difference with a different monitors for less cost?

Quote timothysoup Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:15pm
Well damn... so I was approved for financing on the computer I wanted. Excited to get my dream machine.
Ready to order but decided to check reviews for some piece of mind and damn!!! Killed my excitement. A lot of very bad reviews. I don't think I'm ready to risk that kind of money for a big piece of buyers remorse.
And to be fair, I checked reviews on four other custom computer makers and they were just as bad and even worse. It actually bummed me out because I was excited to get a hot rod desk top. Now I'm to worried to pull the trigger. Starting to think that dell 9700 might be the way to go after all. Not sure why custom makers are having so many problems keeping customers happy considering the amount of money their spending.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:03pm
All retailers are having issues with inventory. Go to a grocery store and find paper products stocked like in the past. Not here.
It is called Covid and all lines of production, both here and abroad (probably more so) are being disrupted big time. If you don't want to risk a delay in your order, go to a brick and mortar store and walk out with a pc/laptop. I can almost guarantee that it will not perform like what you order here but you will have one. If you are willing to wait, you will get a system that will outperform and outlast (while performing, I have a Gateway 2000 that still turns on but.....) anything you get on a walk in store.Smile

Edited by hoserator - 22 Nov 2020 at 11:05pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:47am
One of the main things Digital Storm sells is "Peace of Mind". Once you've ordered you get Lifetime technical support. Things happen to computers, we all get that, things that are out of the control of the manufacturer, builder, shipper, customer...   Would you rather have a company who will always be there to help you (even if you wanted to upgrade something in 5 years) or a company who just wants to make a sale.

Check the reviews on the Customer Service of all companies involved. The company you mentioned above is notoriously high on the negative reviews. DS is a small boutique builder who are more interested in making a customer than a sale and they prove that every day.

It's your call; it's your money. Personally I want a company I can talk to and work with to make sure that my computer is running as well as possible, despite the gorilla handed operator who tries to change things.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:49am
To pay more for such a completely inferior set-up seems like such a waste. If you want some unbiased reviews that aren't severely skewed by supply chain problems that are rampant in these unusual times, just meander back through the Configuration section here. See all the folks who state proudly they are just now upgrading their last DS build after, 4, 6, 8,and even 10 years! Note the consistent presence of the three of us who replied to you so far. We have been on this Forum for years and seen it all. We all have a vast experience with DS, and we know beyond doubt that they are struggling this year, but have risen to every challenge and put forth a tremendous effort not typical of so many retailers. We have multiple DS computers and would not consider going elsewhere, because here they can stumble a bit like anyone else, but in the end, they are totally dedicated to getting it right.

I have had 3 DS rigs since 2010, and all three have NEVER had a technical problem. All three are still operable. one 10 year old, one 7, and one 3. Two of the three run 24/7 when my daughter or I are at home.

If you want a current review that covers all the issues, see fwfdfireman's epic "Velox Ordered & It's Saga!" on page 2 of General Discussion. You will have an unvarnished tale of this new user's experience when shipping damaged his machine.

I've never had a damaged machine delivered to me, but this is what you could expect if the rare occurrence happened.

As to those monitors, I think monitors are a personal choice. That said, I think those are overkill for your purpose. I can see how widescreens could be of use looking at market quotes, but the time your eyes would need to scan from one side of each screen to the other would become very inconvenient.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:23am
I did the review thing too and at first was put off. But as others have said, those bad reviews are for every custom PC builder out there. So I called and what we talked about is "unrealistic expectations". Many have no real knowledge of PCs, parts or what they need. You order, say an "Ultimate" or "Best" whatever, but what does it really have? You need to have some knowledge of what you want to use your PC for most of the time, research or know what parts configuration and set up will give you exactly that.

I ordered my Velox with top of the line stuff, no skimping here. Took 2 mos. to build and then it shipped. Shipping company broke the motherboard, so when I got my PC, it would not even boot up. Called tech support, we went through the trouble shooting process and I had to RMA (return for repair) my PC. Digital Storm made sure I was taken care of at no further cost to me. Got my PC back about two weeks after realizing there was a problem, not bad eh?
I have been enjoying my Velox from DS for about a month now and it performs up to my expectations.

DS has been around for a long time and they have always had a solid reputation among my gaming buds, clan and community. So my advice is, put your worries to rest. Cretae gave you a very good, solid build and you won't be disappointed.

One more thing, Dell!!! You over pay, like I did, for not much. At least here, or other reputable custom PC builders, you get what you pay for.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 23 Nov 2020 at 5:26am
Old Gamers Never Die!
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:17am
I will say that I was never disappointed with my two DS purchases in the past. Nowadays I tend to build my own due to its a hobby and a bit cheaper when it comes to custom water cooling, but supply for parts is an issue across the board. I still can't go to my local Micro Center and pick up the new AMD processors or any of the latest Graphics cards.
I would absolutely go for the Desktop over the Laptop as far as power goes and that new AMD 5900x is a beast, I almost want to swap out my 3900x lol.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
 Post Reply Post Reply