New EVGA PowerLink adapter

Post Date: 2019-02-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New EVGA PowerLink adapter
    Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:29am
Spotted a very clever new video card power cable adapter product on the EVGA web site that could offer the potential to clean up the unsightly large pigtails of PCIE power cables leading off of many current EVGA and NVidia video cards.   

https://images.evga.com/articles/01051/gallery/gallery_02_LG.jpg

Essentially, the new EVGA PowerLink adapter can re-route the video card PCIE 8 pin or 6 pin power sockets from the video cards front corner to the cards side near the base of the card.   The adapter attaches to the two PCIE power ports, and is L shaped , relocating the PCIE power ports down closer to the motherboard.   This allows for a very short visible PCIE power cable run before your cables duck behind the mobo tray.   There is a list of known compatible EVGA and NVidia video cards on the product web page, but it also makes it clear that the product is adjustable, and could fit a great many other NVidia video cards.

See the list at https://www.evga.com/powerlinkcompatibility

One possibility is that the PowerLink adapter could improve airflow in your case by eliminating those long pigtails of PCIE wiring...especially with SLI / NVLink users with multiple video cards.   Another possible benefit I can see could be to improve weight balance a bit on the motherboard PCIE video card socket....Very cool!

Edited by HockeyBuck - 13 Feb 2019 at 11:00pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:34am

Nice heads-up. Appreciate.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 3:13pm
Be a less expensive and cleaner cable management option for only around $20 for each video card adapter you use.   
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:41pm

So, I was able to update my 2012 DS Hailstorm II rig last week (Asus Sabertooth X79 / i7-3930K) with a cool new single
EVGA RTX 2080 FOR THE WIN 3 ULTRA video card.   Runs great!

I was able to use the new EVGA PowerLink Adapter to move the power pigtails around from the card front to the side nearer the motherboard.    Easy to use, out of the box it was all set up to plug into the two 8-pin female ports on the card.    The adapter male plugs can be moved (side to side) to line up with other 8-pin or 6-pin powered NVidia cards, using an included allen wrench.    Also comes with two 6-pin male plugs that can be swapped in for the 8-pin plugs as needed.   

I like it.    I think it offers a little cleaner look with less cable length needed.   Takes a little weight off the front of the card & moves it closer to the motherboard for less card sag strain on the PCIE slot.

Only caution... If you were planning to make use of the extra EVGA fan port or RGB port on the side of this video card, then this adaptor wouldn't work for you.    I doubt many folks will need those extra ports ...lol.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 19 May 2019 at 4:14pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:08am
Make sure it fits.  My cards barely clear the reservoir. That makes them longer.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:49am
Lol...It did fit...
Was good my rig has a dual front bay reservoir!   A simple and inexpensive accessory that cleans up the front power pigtails.   Really like it.   
Longhorn View Drop Down

Quote Longhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:23pm
Hey HockeyBuck. I just installed the EVGA Powerlink on my new 2080 FTW3 Ultra in the Lumos case. I do like the fact that it cleans up the front power pigtales and takes some of the weight off the outer edge of this beast of a vid card.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 12:18am
Looking good!   It works, it’s inexpensive, and looks really good too!
Liking the purple...Well done!   
 Post Reply Post Reply