FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Forum User New Customer

Post Date: 2009-11-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
13owman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 13owman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Forum User New Customer
    Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 12:35pm

Hello, Just thought I would jot down my new computer cfg & let you have at me.

For the last month or so I've been using a 4 year old Dell latitude that belongs to the company I work for. I had a Dell XPS 720 before that & after 19 service calls, the top came off. They were not able to give me a comparable computer, so I'm getting my money back. I know some of you belong to the Red party but I belong to the Green & nothing will change my mind. I think there may be a few areas I should change, any advice would be appreciated. The ticket number has been changed due to it being on hold for the memory Unfortunately I lost the original ticket, so here is the config: 

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Card Reader: 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (1TB Seagate/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Quad (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.792GB) (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Specialized FrostBite Separate Dual Loop System for CPU & Two GTX 295 Video Cards
Liquid Color: UV Blue: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool  Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: HailStorm & 950Si: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: Yes, Overclock memory frequency (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Windows Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: FREE: Please include a free copy of a hot-selling game
LCD Display: !PROMO BUNDLE: NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (Samsung 22 inch 120Hz LCD + NVIDIA 3D Glasses)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 5 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

Edited by 13owman - 09 Nov 2009 at 10:04pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 2:20pm
ya there is a lot to change, you have picked things you don't need and won't notice the difference in, you will however notice the heat and noise from them, so:

what is your budget? and what resolution will you be gaming at? also please post your ticket number.
13owman View Drop Down

Quote 13owman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 4:54pm

I'm hard of hearing so noise doesn't bother me a bit. also I lost the original ticket number...I'm not starting out to well am I CryI Should have mentioned that with the Two 1 terabyte hard drives I am planing on adding a Dell Perc 5i Raid Controller card & also adding 1 more drive that I have already & setting up a 3 terabyte Raid 5 storage container, Please don't ask why I need so much storage. Lets just say I am a pack rat & have a hard time throwing away anything, also I am going to be getting another monitor between 24 & 32 inches. I usually play my games @ 1920 x 1200. I know the Samson's native resolution is 1680 by 1050 but I really want to have the 3D gaming capability. The method of my madness is I wanted to have them set up the compter so that I know what the max setting are @ complete stability. I will not run the computer at those setting all the time. I plan on bringing everything back to default for normal use. It is my understanding that the Chassis Airflow Option Upgrade with Zalman performance fans (Up to 6 Fans) means that they will replace the stock fans with Zalman. My budget is whatever I want it to be. I got 10000 from an inheritance & bought the XPS 720 H2c with it. Not the whole thing but I wanted a computer that would still be a decent machine 4 or 5 years from now. The Dell XP S720 H2c was a good machine if I didn't have too replace the Mother Board every 3 or 4 months. So that frizzled out, Thank God Dell saw that they had a problem & were good enough to give me my money back afters 3 years.

Thanks for listening..uh er reading I appreciate any criticism you can offer.

Edited by 13owman - 09 Nov 2009 at 4:57pm
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 5:26pm
 Have you ever thought of using 2 SSD drives in Raid 0 for your startup/system disks? I've been reading a lot of these past post and it seems like I'm the only to do it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 5:56pm
your ticket number please.

graphic-wise there is nothing you can do to be covered for the next 5 years, best thing to do is get what you need now and then upgrade to the newer cards in 3 years.

I can show you a pc that will have the same performance or better then yours will less noise and heat.

please post your ticket number.

also what is this pc mainly used for? gaming?

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Nov 2009 at 5:57pm
13owman View Drop Down

Quote 13owman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 7:06pm
Sorry guess you didn't read my other post. I lost my ticket number & when I ordered the computer they gave me a different one but don't think you can load it from that. I'll redo the cfg I have & post that. I know nVidia will probably be coming out with a new
card soon but this will suit me for now.
On the SSD drives I want to have at least 600 gigs on that array so I can multi boot & install games on the rest. I think $1700 is going over the top for me just to have quicker boot & game load time.I have been looking at them for a while & the results I have seen is that while you get quicker load time "But not much 3 or 4 seconds in most cases"  they fall behind when it comes to copying and general write-intensive tasks.
13owman View Drop Down

Quote 13owman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 7:20pm

Here is a ticket number from the cfg I have. The only difference on this build is that I got 6GB  DDR3 20000 MHz Digital Storm certified by Mushkin memory. I saved about $500 because of the Halloween sale, but other than those two things it's the same build. 

If you can make it better, faster and/or cheaper then I'm all for that. Noise is not an issue for me because I'm hearing impaired.  I use the computer for just about everything. It's my gaming computer when I want to play games, my work computer when I need it for work, and my media center when I just want ot chill.

Thanks for your helpCool

Edited by 13owman - 09 Nov 2009 at 10:38pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 10:27pm
ok let me tell you a few things:

1. there is no difference between 920 @ 4.0GHz and 975 @ 4.0GHz.

2. you are not going to notice the difference between 1600MHz ram and 1866MHz ram in gaming and such.

3. there is no need for a 1500w psu, pure overkill.

4. I'm not sure which ssds you have been looking at but vertex, corsair and intel will kill the veloci.

5. 3 x 275 will give you the same performance as 2 x 295 and cost alot less, and games and things that don't support sli a 275 does better then a 295, also if you wait for the new cards to come out in jan, 2 of those will cost less and be more powerful then 3 x 275 or 2 x 295.

6. if I'm LCed all the way around (cpu/gpu) I don't need fans to make my nice quiet, cool system loud for no performance gain.

7. in gaming you will not notice the difference between stage 1 oc and stage 2 oc. You should go with stage 1.

8. there is no need to co the gpus when you will not notice the performance gain from the oc.

9. ocing the ram is one more thing you will not notice any performance gain from for your use and it can actually cause corruption problems.

so having said all of that, I left some of the stuff alone and did not change them, but if I were you, I would get one bigger ssd or raid 2 ssds, but get them yourself that way you save money on it.

also keep in mind that raiding two HDDs does not equal the same as having the speed of one ssd.

ssds basically have no seek time, and raid barely makes a dent in seek time and also raid only speeds up moving of large files only.

Here you go Ticket# 351954 --- Price: $6662 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $6562

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (1TB Seagate/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Specialized FrostBite Separate Dual Loop System for CPU & Three Video Cards
Liquid Color:UV Blue: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Tweak Windows: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: NVIDIA 3D Vision Bundle (Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ 120Hz LCD + NVIDIA 3D Glasses)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 5 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

you are not gonna notice the difference between this system and yours, if anything this one is more quiet, probably will have better temps cause the parts I chose bring less heat, and in games that don't support sli it will perform better, and it cost less.

If you want my opinion, get your own ssd/s for HDD1 and that will make this rig even better and faster, and wait for the fermi to come out, once DX11 is supported you will notice a good performance difference in games between the current nvidia cards and fermi.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Nov 2009 at 10:29pm
13owman View Drop Down

Quote 13owman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 1:11am

The 920 is a better buy than the 970 but the 970 will operate on lower voltages with higher frequencies. A 920 might require 1.375v to reach 4.0 GHz but the 975 would run @ the same speed with 1.25v. Like I said I’m not going to run this at top speed all the time, Just when I need it, also I think I can squeeze a little more out of it than the 920 if I wanted to.

I didn’t buy the 1866 MHz ram actually I got the 2000 MHz but they are out of stock yea your probably right I wouldn’t notice the difference

1500 watts on the power supply might be a little over kill for me but I plan to add more hard drives possibly up to 7 & some of them SAS so I want to make sure I have all the power I need if I need it.

I need 600 Gigs for multi boot & I’m sure I will get faster load times adding enough SSD drives together  basically Raid 0 plus way way faster  drives doing it that way but what ever $1000 or so dollars I would be saving cutting back on everything else I would be spending on SSD drives.

I might get the same performance with 3 nVidia 275 cards but I need 1 of the PCI Express slots with a 1 x x8  I might be able to get the 3 275’s plus the Perc card in but then I don’t think that leaves me any slots for anything else.

On the fans I mentioned that I’m hearing impaired so noise doesn’t mean anything to me but I thought that I wasn’t adding fans but replacing the stock fans with Zalman fans. At least that’s what I thought it said. So I’ll check that out.

I think your right about the Stage 1 over clocking

The Video card OC I would like to have just so I know I have it.

Same with the memory I want to know what the highest stable speed is.

I’m probably not going to use the machine at the high over clocking settings but I would like to know what the limit is, If they set the it up I am trusting that it will be stable

As far as the SSD’s go I don’t think I can get 600 gigs of space for less that $2000 I could go two 256 Gig corsair by adding $1274 or getting them from Newegg for $1470

Thanks for your hard work &  the suggestions I will defiantly look in to it. If I took all of your suggestions I would save $1600 but I think I would loose it on SSD drives, also I have been thinking about getting rid of the Razor sound card.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 2:01am
even at 1.37 the 920 will last over 8 years, so the frequencies and etc don't really matter. Also there is no guarantee that the 975 you will end-up with will run at said frequencies, and again for gaming and such you will not notice a difference between 4.0GHz and 4.2GHz, unless you are doing virtualization or heavy duty video editing (professional), otherwise you will not notice the difference.

I doubt you need a 1500w for the amount of HDDs you want to add.

the classified can do tri sli and 2 other pci cards.

changing the fans will bring you no performance gain, so why change them?

the ram speed won't matter, which mean that ocing the ram which provides even less performance gain matters that much less, specailly in gaming and the kind of use your are talking about, I can come in the middle of the night, change your 2000MHz ram to 1600MHz with no oc on it and you would never notice the difference from using it, however like I said, ram oc can create data corruption, its just not worth it unless you are building a rig for benchmarking.

just because you don't have oc on gpu or ram does not mean that the machine can't do it, specially the gpu, its so easy to oc you can do it anytime but like I said, I can come in the middle of the night and remove the oc on gpu also and you would never know.

well my suggestion without the ssd drives is still offering the same performance as your config and on games that don't support sli it offers even better performance.

anyways hope that info helps, just wanted to make sure you know all the facts, at the end of the day you got to get what makes you happy

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Nov 2009 at 5:18am
riffraff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote riffraff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 4:51am
Originally posted by 13owman

The 920 is a better buy than the 970 but the 970 will operate on lower voltages with higher frequencies. A 920 might require 1.375v to reach 4.0 GHz but the 975 would run @ the same speed with 1.25v. Like I said I’m not going to run this at top speed all the time, Just when I need it, also I think I can squeeze a little more out of it than the 920 if I wanted to.

I didn’t buy the 1866 MHz ram actually I got the 2000 MHz but they are out of stock yea your probably right I wouldn’t notice the difference

1500 watts on the power supply might be a little over kill for me but I plan to add more hard drives possibly up to 7 & some of them SAS so I want to make sure I have all the power I need if I need it.

I need 600 Gigs for multi boot & I’m sure I will get faster load times adding enough SSD drives together  basically Raid 0 plus way way faster  drives doing it that way but what ever $1000 or so dollars I would be saving cutting back on everything else I would be spending on SSD drives.

I might get the same performance with 3 nVidia 275 cards but I need 1 of the PCI Express slots with a 1 x x8  I might be able to get the 3 275’s plus the Perc card in but then I don’t think that leaves me any slots for anything else.

On the fans I mentioned that I’m hearing impaired so noise doesn’t mean anything to me but I thought that I wasn’t adding fans but replacing the stock fans with Zalman fans. At least that’s what I thought it said. So I’ll check that out.

I think your right about the Stage 1 over clocking

The Video card OC I would like to have just so I know I have it.

Same with the memory I want to know what the highest stable speed is.

I’m probably not going to use the machine at the high over clocking settings but I would like to know what the limit is, If they set the it up I am trusting that it will be stable

As far as the SSD’s go I don’t think I can get 600 gigs of space for less that $2000 I could go two 256 Gig corsair by adding $1274 or getting them from Newegg for $1470

Thanks for your hard work &  the suggestions I will defiantly look in to it. If I took all of your suggestions I would save $1600 but I think I would loose it on SSD drives, also I have been thinking about getting rid of the Razor sound card.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you are obviously the most helpful and a very knowlegable poster to the DS forums.  I can see now that I REALLY, REALLY should have asked for build advice before I purchased.  I think I would have been steered to a 'better' power supply at the very least.

riffraff
Q'plah
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 9:06am
saying that a 975 will need less  V core than a 920, is not true at at. I have seen 975's that need more V core than some 920's and vice versa.
It makes no sense to not run it full speed all the time.
And I like your power supply choice! very nice, you still should be pulling close to 50% maybe 60% of max, with a few additions.
 Post Reply Post Reply