Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
marcongj View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote marcongj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Gamer Here
    Posted: 14 May 2015 at 6:01am
Budget:
$3000

Expectations:
I want a system that I don't have to worry about Framerate and run it pretty good graphics. If you could recommend any changes for a first time buyer that would be great!

Usage:
I will be using it to play games such as GTA V, X-Plane, COD and others

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: 1207870

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97M-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (MATX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-N53 (Dual Band Performance) (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Green) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: Strike-X AeroCool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Hole: VREG/CPU Area Only: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fan
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:24am
Hi marcongj... Welcome to the DS forums.

That is an excellent build.   I would however make a couple of changes.

Change the SSD to the 256GB Pro.  The Pro is a better drive with longer warranty and the added size will come in handy.  120GB will fill. fast.

Change the psu to the EVGA 750 SuperNova.  A better , more efficient supply with a 10 year warranty vs 3 years for the other.

The Strike X  fan control, imho, is more for eye candy than function.   Not needed but does look good.  The temp sensors don't really mean too much and the fans can be easily controlled in Bios, Fan Xpert etc.  Plus, the cpu cooling fans wouldn't be hooked to it, just the case fans.  But, nothing wrong with looks.

Drop the noise suppression package.  No place to mount noise dampening material and the fans you can control elsewhere like with the Strike X comment.

The side blow hole cutout probably isn't needed with your single card.  A side panel fan is a great idea if needed, one of the best locations , so really up to you.  Not a bad idea but maybe not needed.

That mobo doesn't allow for sli, 2x graphics card.  If you game on a single 1080p monitor then your single 980 will play great and all you need.  If you want the sli option, then the Gryphon or Sabertooth are good ways to go.  Otherwise, keep what you have. 

I would also drop OS boost.  THey do tweak it a bit by disabling some startups, etc but nothing you can't do yourself or need done.  Just me.

Dropping some of the things I suggested gives you better parts, same performance for less money. 

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 14 May 2015 at 9:40am
marcongj View Drop Down

Quote marcongj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:40am
Thanks for the info. I should mention that I will be using it on a Apple Thunderbolt display so not sure if this affects things at all. If you could let me know that would be great!

Also a silly question: With two hard drives how does the computer decide which goes where? I assume it will come installed with windows on the SS drive, and games going on the HDD?

Edited by marcongj - 14 May 2015 at 9:47am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:51am
I don't know thunderbolt requirements, unfortunately.  I would think you'd need a video card with a thunderbolt port, which the 980 doesn't , or an adapter, but not really sure. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 10:03am
No silly questions here. Big%20Smile

The OS will be installed on the much faster SSD for faster booting.  Also some games that load scenes on the run will also benefit, or programs that can make use of the faster data loads.     The HDD, mechanical drive is for most other programs, data, pics, music, etc that won't make use of the faster load times.  It's cheaper storage. 

Windows knows which drive is the boot drive, and in Bios, the boot order is setup.  When you power on, Windows looks at the SSD first, loads the OS and then goes from there. 
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 10:37am
As for the "silly question"... you'll get to decide which goes where when installing. You'll understand that just pressing <enter> <enter> <enter> <enter> when all of those dialogue boxes appear isn't such a good idea.   

As bprat says, the machine has the OS installed in the SSD. Most of the DS systems come "Bloatware free" so you will get to decide where to put what.

It's fun getting to know your computer this way.   
marcongj View Drop Down

Quote marcongj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 10:56am
Thanks All!

Ok I found an answer to my question regarding using My apple display. Would this work with my setup:

Yes, it is possible to use Apple Thunderbolt Display with PC. You will need an ASUS ThunderboltEX II adapter with compatible ASUS motherboards, such as Z97-DELUXE (NFC & WLC).
It works with both integrated and discrete graphics.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:17am
Yeah, looks like as long as the mobo has a thunderbolt header and a rear DP slot then all is good.    You might have to check the Bios level and update if needed and then setup Thunderbolt in Bios under Advanced tab.

Thanks for the info. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 14 May 2015 at 11:18am
marcongj View Drop Down

Quote marcongj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:24am
Does the mobo that I have work for this? Also is this an easy thing for updating the Bios. I am a complete noob, and coming from a Mac world.

Also is my machine overpowered for games?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:33am
I believe it works with the Z97 Sabertooth, Gryphon, Pro and A model Asus boards.

You'd have to follow the instructions for Bios upgrade with the motherboard manual you'll get.  Usually, pretty easy, but messing with Bios update always has a small chance of problems.

Your machine isn't too overpowered at all if you want high graphic settings and decent frame rates.

If you want to save a few bucks, the gtx 970 is within 10-15 % of the 980 and alot cheaper.  Here's a link comparing....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1351

Edited by bprat22 - 14 May 2015 at 11:36am
marcongj View Drop Down

Quote marcongj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 12:20pm
Would this get GTA V to run at high settings? Also I am primarily concerned about X-Plane. I want to be able to have high settings for this game and not worry about lag or choppiness.
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by marcongj

Would this get GTA V to run at high settings? Also I am primarily concerned about X-Plane. I want to be able to have high settings for this game and not worry about lag or choppiness.

You will be more than fine @ 1080p on high settings with the posted build. 1440p I'm not so sure, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer that one.
Dwik30 View Drop Down

Quote Dwik30 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Steven

Originally posted by marcongj

You will be more than fine @ 1080p on high settings with the posted build. 1440p I'm not so sure, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer that one.

Yup the 980 can handle maxed settings on gta V at 1440p, I play online with a friend that only has a single 980.
"Envy Green" Apollo
ASUS X99-DELUXE
Intel i7 5820K 4.4 ghz
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
2 X Nvidia GTX 970 4gb
 Post Reply Post Reply