FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New gaming and photo editing rig

Post Date: 2019-10-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kirrus View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New gaming and photo editing rig
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:20pm
Hi, I am slowly looking for an upgrade for my almost 5 y.o. Intel i7-4790K system, which definitely needs some parts upgrade but I think it is better to buy a new rig.
I use the rig both for photo editing (advanced level using Adobe Photoshop and other photo editing software) and gaming (mostly MMOs). As soon as I buy this rig I will buy a good 4K monitor with (almost) 100% Adobe RGB.
I know both photo editing and gaming software heavily use a graphic card so a good one is also needed.
With a budget of $4000 ($5000 maximum) I have to be sure it will work for next 5 years with current and future software.

Budget: $4000-$5000 for system only

I have prepared a build I consider as my starting point. I have some questions about this build:
Is Velox a mid or full tower? There are discrepancies in DS descriptions.
Should I consider Lumos as well for my build or Velox is too good to avoid?
I do need a huge disk space (just came back from a photo trip with 500 Gb raw photos, need almost the same for intermediate processing and output). I've put 8 Tb , but maybe 2x 4Tb raid 0 is better?
Do you recommend 2080Ti vs. 2080?
And most important question: almost all these components are a year old, new ones should come soon. Do you advice to wait a little more for these new upgrades?

My starting build:
Configuration Code: 2621805
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,421.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2621805

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (8TB HGST Ultrastar He8 - Enterprise Edition - Helium Platform) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Thank you in advance.

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:18pm
Hello Kirrus.   The great news recently for folks who do photo editing in Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and the Adobe Creative suites is that NVidia has now turned on Enhanced GPU Acceleration features for NVidia RTX Turing driven graphics cards.   Big new added benefit for photo editors and content creators who also game with their rigs....in addition to NVidia's Ray Tracing features.

Your most important question... There is always a new model of everything next year... The current Super versions of the RTX 2080 are only about a month old now, but the RTX 2080 Ti is still is the very top performance GPU out there by quite a bit and NVidia says it will remain on top of their lineup at least through years end.   Either the RTX 2080 Super or the RTX 2080 Ti would safely keep you running top titles at high frames... but if you do intend to go with a high refresh rate big 4K monitor...I would definitely suggest using the better RTX 2080 Ti as it has 11 GB VRAM and more GPU cores compared with 8 GB VRAM on the 2080 Super.    Make sure you get a NVidia G-Sync monitor from NVidias tested and approved monitor list on their website for best synchronization with variable card resolutions and refresh rates for tear-free gaming.

Cases.... Now most photo folks I know are constantly popping in and taking out additional big hard drives of photo work files etc.   The DS Aventum X is a big full tower EATX case that is the best case on the planet for water cooling everything...but it also has about 8 door facing hot-swap drive bays... and that might just interest you to look at the DS Aventum X.   Using it's built in water cooling features and radiators with a HydroLux Pro cooling choice would certainly improve your performance and cooling.   No other case is comparable to Aventum for cooling and size.

DS Velox is 2" taller but otherwise very close in size to the Lumos mid tower case (Corsair Crystal 570X case) and with the above build either case would work quite well.   Obviously they look very different so it's personal preference.   Aventum and Velox both place the motherboards and video cards upside down and as a result the doors are on the Right side...while Lumos has the motherboard and GPU in normal right side up position and door on the normal Left side.   You will have to decide what case and look you prefer.   We had one recent post here that stated the DS Velox case shipment was stuck in US Customs for another a week or two and could delay some builds. Don't know if that hold up was cleared yet. Ask DS.

I think I would go with the one simple large 8 TB storage drive to start out so your extra resources go towards the very best system bones possible. You can always set up RAID later on yourself if you find you need it.   

I like your I9-9900K 8-core CPU Overclocked Stage 2, Corsair AIO 280mm cooler, Asus Z390 ROG Maximus XI Hero motherboard, 32 GB Corsair Dominator RAM (RAM is inexpensive right now) and Corsair 850W PSU, and Corsair LL case fan upgrade choices.

Drive 1...be aware that the Samsung Evo 970 PLUS 1TB M.2 NVME SSD is the faster read & write speed model over the older Pro version now.

Again...for 4K gaming I would definitely suggest upgrading to the stronger performing RTX 2080 Ti with 11 GB VRAM.    

Also...DS is very easy to work with and will order whatever specific fav card or components you might want if you wish to ask.    I can recommend the excellent EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra or RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra as top performing air cooled 3 fan video cards, or if you do consider water cooling GPU and CPU the EVGA RTX 2080 Hydro Copper factory water cooled card as top quality GPU choices.   

Don't forget the current DS Sale means $400 off a $4000+ build total at checkout...or $500 off a $5000+ build!

.. merged posts ..

Edited by Snaike - 11 Oct 2019 at 12:08am
Kirrus View Drop Down

Quote Kirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:51am
Hello HockeyBuck. Thank you very much for your detail explanation. I spent many hours looking at the cases. They are different indeed. My concern is about glass walls in all of them. Unlike glass, metallic walls should decrease radiation emission from computer components, especially from PSU.
Also it is a shame there is no optical drive in your cases. I can buy an external one, but they won't be as stable on my desk  as inside a heavy case.
I still consider buying from DS. What is the cost of EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra? How to add it to the order? Thanks!
P.S. I know there is a metallic wall in Velox but on the wrong side for me - I want to put it left of the monitor where the case glass is. Can DS make the metallic wall on the opposite side? Also I see Lynx has metallic wall on the right side, correct? Will my build work with Lynx case?

Edited by Kirrus - 11 Oct 2019 at 9:44am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:20am
All of the cases they offer will have a PSU shroud or enclosure around the PSU that you can see in the case photos. Most of the cases are all using tempered glass on both sides now so you can view all the components...not sure if Lynx does but Lumos has tempered glass on both sides.   I believe the type of low level radiation you are concerned about would be minimized to the same degree by just about any material barrier in the way glass or aluminum, and more by the normal distance you will sit away from the PC. Tempered (Laminated) glass is used for consumer safety and it does block UVA & UVB radiation, but leaded glass would be required to block other forms of radiation as I understand it.

I'm afraid the world is no longer using or selling much optical media these days, so PC case design has moved on to delete the mounts and make use of the space. The external optical players will still do the job well.

The EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra should cost somewhere around $800, but you would need to call or email DS to ask what price they can get to order it for your build and what availability they find. This particular video card has a very thick and extremely effective heat sink that along with well known EVGA quality makes it pricey.

Kirrus View Drop Down

Quote Kirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 2:56pm
Thanks again, HockeyBuck! I understand the reality even though I don't completely fit in it. Many classical and new age music albums I listen to are still made for CD only. For example I bought recently a brand new research-level collections of J.S. Bach recording which I am in process of ripping to FLAC for my digital player.
By you advice I contacted to a DS representative finalizing my build. I appreciate you help very much in this preparation.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 3:17pm

Great!   In my experience the fixed CD/BlueRay player on a PC front bay was never a very convenient place for changing discs...so an external unit with a nice long USB cable can be placed right where you want it...without getting up!

I use High Res music in FLAC format on my PC and on my PONO High Res player.   
No matter what the original media, once you rip it to FLAC...you no longer need or use the old media anymore....High quality music files and Digital HR players have become so portable that the old source discs are left behind now.

Let us know how it all goes with your order.   I’m sure DS will build you a killer rig!   
 Post Reply Post Reply