FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Gaming PC Help

Post Date: 2022-05-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bormer View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bormer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Gaming PC Help
    Posted: 31 May 2022 at 11:57am
Budget: 2k-3.k

Expectations:
Looking for a new gaming PC that I can use for 5+ years. Bought my first rig from DS in 2009 and have upgraded it for years but its finally time for a reboot. Went with Lumos because from my understanding case is open on the left side but if Velox is better I can adjust.

Usage:
Mainly used for gaming. Diablo 2, WoW, some shooters.

Saved Ticket #: [4407685]

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-12700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (12-Core) 3.6 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR4)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Thanks in advance.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:04pm
I love my new Velox because of its wide expanses and all mesh vent in front, top, & rear. Stuff is upside down people would say but it shows off the pretty light bar on my EVGA 3080 FTW.

I would wait and see how folks with similar Lumos configurations like their systems and how cooling is or is not an issue. I have an 5900x which stays very cool with my AIO even when heavy gaming. I believe the Intel series is a little warmer but I don't think that is an issue unless it causes speed reduction due to heat.

I am sure there will be several folks offering advice soon. I am on my 2nd DS by the way. The first one still games and is over 12 years old now. DS definitely creates solid systems that rival commercial computer center equipment.

Oh, I chose a MB with both Wifi & Blu-tooth because I use a wireless Blu-tooth X-Box controller to play racing games for my YouTube channel "Ken Wigger".

I went with 32GB too just in case I might need it when games get even more memory dependent in the future.

I think your configuration looks very good. I am just a Velox proponent. I also have an AE-7 SoundBlaster that isn't needed with the high quality audio that MBs have now. But I am addicted to the capabilities of a studio grade audio system for my Sennheiser headphones. Kind of a waste but I wanted crystal clear sound as long as my ears are still working. Being 70, I cherish a few good years more listening to my best vinyl like it was recorded. :-)

Enough of my comments. I will be following to see how your configuration evolves with others input. Perhaps they will say you nailed the configuration the way you have it. But honestly, we all like to add our special tweaks to somebody's config!

You will love the Samsung 980. I have the small 500GB for OS / daily games & a 970 for the rest. :-)

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:41pm
unless you need the multi-threading for productivity purposes like editing, i'd suggest going with the Lynx Custom order based on the i5-2600K cpu.  you don't even need that K model if you don't plan to overclock.  i'd suggest the 12400F as an equal but cheaper performer to AMD's 5600X.  that'll save you more money to put towards your gpu.  you should be able to get out under $2K with that build.

the 3060ti will give you 1440p gaming on a capable monitor.  if you don't plan on anything more than 1080p you don't even need that much gpu. 

Edited by db188 - 31 May 2022 at 9:42pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 4:23am
Yours is a good build, but I agree the CPU is not optimal for gaming only. I like the 12600K for a gaming CPU that will be plenty enough for several years out. It's actually as fast as an i9 11900K, and has a total of ten cores should games be able to use them 5+ years from now.

I don't see the point of two of the fastest NVMe SSDs around. The 980 for primary drive is a good selection. that's where all the work gets done from Windows, so you want the speed there. A 970 Evo PLUS will be plenty fast for loading games and other storage. You could make that one a 2TB for another $63, or stay with 1TB and save $42.

The 3060 Ti is just what db188 says it is. I think it's the best bang-for-buck GPU in a very poor market price-wise.

The Velox is somewhat better than a Lumos, but IMHO not worth the premium. If you go with a 12600 K or a 12400F, you won't have a problem with thermals. The Lynx will also be fine, and brings the RGB fans along for less money.

If you like the Lumos, my best advice would be go for the 12600k, get the 2TB 970 Plus and leave all else the same. That would save you $105, and you'd have an optimal build IMHO.   
Bormer View Drop Down

Quote Bormer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 5:28am
Thank you for the advice. I currently have a I7 3770K, 16MB DDR3 1600MHz, GTX 1660 Ti, 27" LG 4k UHD monitor. Some of the new games seem to load slow between matches/zones and graphics can be a little clunky if I play on higher settings.

I have taken the advice given here and updated the build. I do have two questions. Is going with 32gb of ram needed or can I get by just fine with 16Gb? This will also be my first CPU with liquid cooling, is the default cooling just fine with this system or should I downgrade to something less?

Configuration Code: 4408333

hassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5-12600K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR4)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 4:11pm
if you're going 4k gaming, i'd recommend a gpu with more VRAM on it.  i recently updated my 6-yr old personal rig to a RTX 3080 with 10GB of VRAM to pair with my M28U 4K monitor (which replaced my 2K Acer Predator).  i've read people play on 3060ti driven pc's at 4K resolution but with settings turned down and no problems.  i don't really see the point of that.  i'd want to run everything as close to "ultra" settings as possible on a 4K monitor. 

16GB of system memory is sufficient, and i'd rather just spend the money elsewhere. 

you can save yourself some money on the mobo by going with the B660M instead of Z690 and pair it with the 12400F cpu.  tech specs state it supports memory speeds up to 5k mHz and 128GB size. it's really going to come down to the features and connectivity options you require.  if you intend to oc the cpu you should pair the K model intel chip with a Z690 board for the unlocked multiplier.  the savings are about $215 (that you can put towards your gpu).

your config with my changes runs about $80 less than your config. 4408787

Edited by db188 - 01 Jun 2022 at 4:28pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 4:37am
Agreed. For 4K, the 3080 is right. The suggestions made will not cripple your build. 16GB of Ram is good for awhile yet, and perhaps for a long haul. RAM is easy to come by and install yourself. The 970 Evo PLUS will load your games just fine. It's about 7x faster than a SATA SSD. With the suggestions from db188, you still have the option to make that 2GB and stay under $2700.

The option exists with the 12400F to downgrade the CPU cooling, to the single fan AIO or even the air cooler. I can't recommend that, because I'm fixated on a little overkill when it comes to cooling. Your best bet is still the dual fan AIO IMHO. No fear of throttling, and likely quieter than either downgrade because it won't be straining.

Retaining the really excellent storage combo, the build looks like this:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4409154

Bormer View Drop Down

Quote Bormer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 5:35am
Thank you for the quick response. I pulled the trigger with the suggestions that were made. I went with 4409174 as the final build. Decided on the higher chip/MB to have the OC there if I ever needed it. Thanks for all your help! Now comes the hardest part in waiting for that puppy to ship :)
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 3:00pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Bormer

Thank you for the quick response. I pulled the trigger with the suggestions that were made. I went with 4409174 as the final build. Decided on the higher chip/MB to have the OC there if I ever needed it. Thanks for all your help! Now comes the hardest part in waiting for that puppy to ship :)
may the shipping gods be kind and quick!  hope you enjoy your new rig for years to come.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 8:44pm
That's about right for a system I would like to own at present. All but the 3080: I have no use for 4K, so the 3060 Ti would be my choice there. I think you're going to like the whole package!   
 Post Reply Post Reply