FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Gaming PC - Request your guidance and opinions

Post Date: 2021-09-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rgire View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rgire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Gaming PC - Request your guidance and opinions
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:49pm
Budget:
$4000 +/- $500

Expectations:
I play Warzone, Splitgate, some VR and non-VR racing

Usage:
Gaming only plus watch some movies

Special Needs:
None

Monitor: LG 32GK650G-B 32 Inch UltraGear QHD Gaming Monitor with G-SYNC 2560 x 1440 resolution

Saved Ticket #: 4098421 (The specs are below. For some reason, this config number changed all the specs.    The build with the specs below is $ 3996

Specifications: Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-11900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.5 GHz (Rocket Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z590 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz HyperX Fury RGB <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: External USB - DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 14-21 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I read a lot of the current posts from Cretae and others. Not sure about the Intel chipset. Read that Cretae likes the Intel 11900. Also, not sure about the 3070 GC.

Appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

Rich G

Edited by rgire - 22 Sep 2021 at 8:08pm
Rich G
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:45pm
They're going to ask about your monitor size and resolution. This is one of the key ingredients to making sure you get the best machine in your budget. As we say, there's no sense in building for a 4K monitor to play on a 1080p screen.
rgire View Drop Down

Quote rgire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Snaike

They're going to ask about your monitor size and resolution. This is one of the key ingredients to making sure you get the best machine in your budget. As we say, there's no sense in building for a 4K monitor to play on a 1080p screen.

Thanks Snake. Just edited my post to add my monitor
Rich G
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:48am
What Cretae says is that the 11900K CPU is the fastest CPU for gaming on (mostly) a single core. For multi-core tasks, AMD is better in every price category. I personally prefer the AMD 5800X for gaming at this moment in time just for the simple fact that HERE, you can get an upgraded mobo for far less than $371 you have to pay for an Intel mobo upgrade. I like the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon upgrade for AMD at $118. The latest CPUs won't gimp gaming even at the i5 level for quite awhile.

The combo you've selected is better, but not quite worth the cost IMHO. But I'm the bargain seeking guy. It's well within your budget, so go ahead. Multi-core is not your thing, and you have the means for the best gaming CPU around. Just know it won't be that way for long. Intel has a newer line by New Year's. Should you wait? No, not for a gaming rig.

I like your storage set-up at your price point. It's about the best you can do here without paying more than I think one should. Be sure to partition your 980 for a "C" drive of something around 200 GB or less, so you can protect everything else on the drive in case Windows blows up. It will also make for a super-fast scan for bad stuff. C is where your OS, browser, apps and maintenance software goes. Steam (Origin, Epic, etc.) goes there, but you point the downloads elsewhere.

I think your 3070 will get the job done. We may be within a year of next gen, and cards may be easier on the wallet. In those circumstances, I think it would be very wasteful to spend more for marginal gains. It's faster than last gen's 2080 SUPER, and 1440p gamers would have killed to have that much going. That card was #2 in the world. If you ever need an upgrade you will have better choices.

The overclock is not advisable. The CPU turbos to 5.3 GHz all by itself if you need it to, and the rest of the time runs way cooler than it ever will dialed up to 4.7 GHz all day long. Let your CPU get all the rest it wants.

The "disable and tweak" is a total waste of money. Completely unnecessary with modern RAM configurations.

You're under budget, so have at it!

...I kinda have to mention the Lumos looks great with RGB fans. You can shop for your own later if you want, but you might think it over.

Edited by Cretae - 23 Sep 2021 at 4:51am
rgire View Drop Down

Quote rgire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:47am
Thank you very much. I made the suggested adjustments and placed the order. Now the wait begins!
Regards

Rich G
Rich G
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:02am
Happy to have been of help to you! Hope it goes very well.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:45pm
Cretae does it again!
If my wife gets mad at the system I bought yesterday I am just going to refer her to Cretae he convinced me with a super configuration. He might not enjoy the call from my wife.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:10am
(Reminder to self: turn phone off next 10 days.)

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:32am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply