FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New high end build questions

Post Date: 2021-03-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
[email protected] View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote proteus@pobox.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New high end build questions
    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:08pm
Budget:
up to 10k

Usage: Bit of everything. Lots of VMs, Docker, gaming, machine learning, crypto when idle.

Looking at the following specs and trying to decide between the Lumos, Aventum and Velox options.

R9 5950X CPU
Asus Dark Hero MB (any benefit at all to upgrading to MSI Godlike?
Dual Nvidia RTX 3090s
Hydrolux pro for CPU+GPUs

Had the following questions:
- Quiet is really important. Haven’t been able to find real specs on the Velox and Aventum. How quiet are these at idle? Under full load (on water). Both would probably be ear height, about 5 feet away.
- How is dust control handled? I didn’t see any filters on either case?
- What radiators are used on the Velox for Hydrolux CPU+dual GPU loop? Description for the Velox says the case can handle up to 420 in front and 280 up top, but is that what is included? the few pics I’ve seen appear to show smaller ones? 900+ watts is a LOT of heat to dump..more than a single radiator or even a pair of 240s can handle.
- The Aventum has plenty of radiators..but looks like only a single DDC type pump. Is that enough?
- What are the stock fans? the only RGB option appears to be coolermasters? which don’t integrate with either corsair or asus aura software?
- Who makes the cooling gear? is it a single vendor? (guessing barrowch since the videos mention boxfish)..but I also have seen koolance fittings on some pics?
- Looks like there are two options for thermal control, Digitalstorm and Corsair (and neither apparently works with the RGB fans?!). Any pros and cons between them?
- Do drive trays come prewired so I can add my own SATA drives?
- For the GPUs are there any higher powered options? the MSI Ventus cards are only 2x8pin, so limited to 375w..would prefer a 3x8pin option like Suprim or Strix if possible.

Sorry, lots of questions but it’s a huge investment, so need to know everything about it before I pull the trigger.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:43am
IMO, you want mostly too specific info for any of us to chance being out of the DS loop on what they might not be able to get in this supply environment. You want a very special rig, and your best source is a DS expert. There are answers to each of your questions but parts supply can change a lot we don't know of.

DS has a solid rep for straightforward evaluation of your needs, and won't try to upsell you at every turn. You can dicker with them directly over parts you would like to special-order to get what you want. To be hemmed in by the less-than-typical standard selections on offer during this market might lead you to ask for specific upgrades. They will work with you on all fronts to build your dream as you want it.

Call or e-mail sales. Tell them you want one one their very best advisors for a special investment. If you don't like what you hear, go up the chain of command until you do. I'm confident it'll happen. All the best.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 7:17pm
If you're going to be mining crypto-currencies, you're probably better off dedicating a single 3090 to it 100% of the time. Otherwise, its not really going to be worth it if you're just going to be doing it overnight/part-time when the system isn't being used for other tasks.

Velox & Aventum cases do not have dust filters, so a decent air purifier might be a good investment for the room if you have a problem with dust. You could also shop around for filters to add to the case, but that could have an impact on fan airflow.

In regards to fan/rgb options, you would have to ask them. It seems that they prefer you to use their provided choice of parts and have a very strict limit on what you can order when it comes to components they don't carry/stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply