FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Machine Question

Post Date: 2010-11-06

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
themood View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
  Quote themood Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Machine Question
    Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:41am
I just received my new DS machine and I love the performance.  However, I hate the noise level when I am gaming.  I did not realize it would be as loud as it is.  What are my options to try and get this thing to be quieter?  Here are the specs

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (i7 Processors Only)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Back to Top
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4219
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 7:27pm
watercooling your GPU is the only option
 
more power = more noise  (unless you add a lot of money to the equation)
 
though... i have 2 470s. i dunno if i would say they are that loud, do you play your games without headphones or without sound at all?
is your video card overclocked?
Back to Top
themood View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
  Quote themood Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:06pm
I have headphones on and the card is not overclocked at all.  I think it is very loud and I am not that sensitive to noise.  Maybe I have an odd card or something got knocked around during shipping.  I do not think a company should be allowed to sell a video card that is this loud.  It is very distracting and I really do not even want to game on this machine in this state.
Back to Top
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4219
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:15pm
if its so distractingly loud, and over headphones, its possible something is wrong with the card
 
your best bet would be to contact digital storm directly on this as it is near impossible to quantify sound information to another person
 
 
Originally posted by themood

I do not think a company should be allowed to sell a video card that is this loud.  It is very distracting and I really do not even want to game on this machine in this state.
this is a little rediculous, there are thousands of hate posts on fermis calling them too loud, and pretty much every decent video card review since 2007 has included noise information.
 
its like i said, assuming there isnt anything wrong with the card
more power = more expense
in the case of this card, its the most powerful card on the market, and, expectedly so, also the hottest and loudest


Edited by !ender_ - 06 Nov 2010 at 8:15pm
Back to Top
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2247
  Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:21pm
What was the last video card you had in your old computer, if I could ask? Are you used to an extremely old low profile video card or maybe an integrated GPU or something?

Any powerful video card will sound like a jet taking off under load, it can't be avoided unless you're willing to pay hundreds for liquid cooling, and has nothing to do with DS.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Back to Top
AmbientChong11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
  Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:32pm
Is this your first gaming computer? If it is, then you're probably just not used to the new noise level and have to adjust, even the 932 case has a big air-flow so it's going to be making more noise from the GPU vs. a case like from HP/Dell. I remember when first powering my system, it was pretty loud to my liking, but it's not bothering me now.
Back to Top
themood View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
  Quote themood Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:47pm
The last video card I had was an 8800 GTS which was in a computer I ordered from cyberpower.  This is not my first gaming computer.  When gaming I can literally hear the card from the other room with the door closed.  I think something is wrong and I sent a message to DS.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 6.640625E-02 seconds.