FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member Eagerly Waiting

Post Date: 2022-08-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
the_exiled_muse View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote the_exiled_muse Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Member Eagerly Waiting
    Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 5:44pm
I ordered my new PC nearly a week ago. My old Lenovo has served me well for years, but it's time to upgrade.

I have to admit, I'm feeling somewhat nervous, but also excited. I enjoy gaming and creating game-based comics, and I'm eager to see how well I'll be able to do both with the new machine.

Since posting specs seems to be popular, here are mine. I'll probably add a secondary storage drive at some point.:

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Antec Performance Series P101
Processor: Intel Core i9-10980XE Extreme Edition (18-Core) (Boost Up to 4.6 GHz)
Motherboard: MSI X299 PRO (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 870 EVO)
Internet Access: Wireless (WiFi 6E + Bluetooth 5.2)  (ASUS PCE-AXE58BT) (PCI-E)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Triple Fan) 
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
“For the enemy is not Troll, nor it is Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good.” - Terry Pratchett, "Thud!"
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 5:18am
Your selection of a three year old enterprise class CPU is very puzzling. It will not game well at all, as it was never intended to. Here's a comparison to the top gaming chip we have now:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Intel-Core-i9-10980XE/4118vsm935899

This much newer tech will outperform your choice by almost any measure, and costs something like $800 less base cost. Spend that on a Velox case for superior cooling, and get the upgrade to the ASUS ROG Strix Gaming D4 mobo with WiFi. You won't have to spend the extra $105 for that.

Here's my recommendation.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4473717

IDK your entire configuration, but I bet mine's cheaper. It includes state-of-the-art NVMe storage that's about 5 times faster than what you selected, and 500GB more. The little one is for your OS, apps, and maintenance software. There's room for a few other odds and ends as well. This build is better in every way, especially for gaming.

Digital Storm will be very happy to make the changes for you. There will no problem there. Hope it helps.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 1:09pm
Cretae is right I believe!

By the way, I changed my configuration after I ordered my system with no issue for doing so. Obviously, you can't wait till it built and on the shipping dock to make changes but this early shouldn't be an issue.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply