FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - Sandy Bridge-E Series

Post Date: 2011-10-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Member - Sandy Bridge-E Series
    Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 10:33pm
Hey! New kid here, though I’m going to be jumping around for a while until I buy and review a rig next month from Digital Storm (hopefully, depends on hardware release).

What are some reliable sites for information towards the Sandy Bridge-E series?

Moreso, how likely will it be that they are released along with the X79 in mid-November?

And upon release, as some of you are bound to have plenty of experience with this, how likely is it that the hardware will have no faults other than software-related problems which can be later patched by manufacturers?

Waiting another 6 months is going to pretty much kill me at this rate, not joking, I’ve been stuck on a half-as* laptop for the better part of the last 4 months, so I’m really keen on getting to know as much as possible before the time of the order. 

And as a bonus;

Is there anything Digital Storm cannot do upon request other than custom paint similar to automotive finishes and artwork (as seen by FN’s “Exotix” paintwork)?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 12:17am
There is very little that DS won't do.

my question to you is what res you gonna be gaming at?
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 12:29am

Glad to hear it, as I probably will want to go as far as a blank check will carry me. I know that always sounds awful, though I really don't have a budget.

I tend to stick to the 16:10 ratio, so I’ll probably be using a 24” monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200. I’ll probably flip a coin on the day of making the build to see if I want to go through with 2560x1600 instead. I know a little bit on monitors, though I normally don’t tread on ground which I lack knowledge of.

Is there an IPS panel monitor which you would recommend I should look into for that size and resolution? I say 24” for the sake of what I am used to, however as I highlighted I may go with a 2560x1600 30” if it seems like I can work with it. Personal preference often dominates with interface hardware.

I take it you are going to ask what I plan to be using the computer for as well? Any other information you would like me to disclose? Also, do you happen to know anything relating to the questions in which I have posted earlier? Lol. I assume yes, as you appear to be the most experienced through post count and content discussed.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 1:12am

I suppose I’ll just write a little more about the whole deal since it is bound to come up at some point.

I’ll be using the computer for pretty much everything up to writing sheet music, as that is the one thing I will never be able to do. lol. Oh, and flight simulators. Otherwise 3D and 2D graphic design (3DSMax and Photoshop, among many), various games such as Crysis, BF3, Sc2, D3, Fallout’s, Metro 2033, etc, also being to be doing some number crunching, I want to look into F@H as well. Then some applications which would be written in test machine languages.

This is an act of kindness from my mother who has ran into a fair amount of money as of late. Being not even close to tech savvy, she has granted a ‘one free computer coupon’ for her broke son attending university, rather than giving me a set amount of money to purchase more than one system throughout the next few years or upgrading one cheaper system. Which may seem stupid, though it is best to roll with it before minds are changed.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 1:16am
Well for 1900 x 1200 res you have no reason to wait for SB-E.

they are suppose to release it in mid nov, I assume both mobo and cpu will be available within days if not the same day from DS. (as long as intel and mobo makers make the cpu/mobo available.)

Most times when cpu is released there is no problem, if there would be a problem it would be with the mobo, but then again you never know, but you are safe, with DS and manufacturer warranty, you got nothing to lose.

building a system is all about making it for what its design to do, in case of gaming pc, the res of the monitor it needs to power means everything.

so is the pc for gaming? if yes then you need to decide res first, if money is no object I say go with the one below and then for that res you do need SB-E for the option of tri sli/cf:

Dell UltraSharp U3011 30"
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 1:31am
Okay, going with the 2560x1600 monitor and what I've said in the post 4 minutes prior to your's.

What do you know of Quad SLI 580GTX and Liquid Cooling solutions?

I figure Mountain Mods' cases are the best choice for the most effective use of liquid cooling (dual loop, of course), though I was wondering what your opinion would be.

Edit: Reason why I am skiddish about the use of a 30" 2560x1600 monitor is due to the lag which can occur in later generation games even with a tri SLI of 580GTX cards.

Edit 2: You can disregard the previous edit if need be, as I cannot think of an example of a current title in DX11 which would lag enough to cause choppiness, though I have seen framerates drop below 40 on Metro 2033 even without maxed out settings.

Edited by Ekkehard - 14 Oct 2011 at 1:49am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 3:26am
ok lets see.

quad sli? I always recommend against it.

what lag at 2560 x 1600? if you are getting lag its not because of the monitor or that res, its because you are playing online and the net connection is cause of the lag or you gon't have enough gpu power, none of the users here with the u30 complain about lag.

Some of Mountain Mods cases are great, but what size rad you going with decides what case you need.

for that res all you need is sli 570 2.5GB with option to go tri which is where the x79 comes in.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Oct 2011 at 3:26am
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 1:24pm

I figured you would oppose a quad SLI, though why is it such a bad idea in comparison to a tri? Software-related issues with drivers or something more perplexing relating to hardware?

And It isn’t so much a constant chop, but dips which can be seen that go into 20 or less FPS with the resolution on moments which require intense calculation, the concept of using a lower resolution monitor is my equivalent of future-proofing a computer which I will not be able to upgrade or really do anything with for a few years. Unless you may be able to look into the future with a crystal ball and foresee the use of a tr-SLI of 570/580 with that resolution 4 years from now, lol.

Would a dual loop with two 3x120 radiators be the best choice? One loop on the CPU another covering the GPUs? Also, what are some suggested components for liquid cooling? Not looking so much for convenient pricing as I am for best performance and lifespan. Pumps, tubing (UV active, for all the fanciness if so be be it, lol.) and radiators. Also, for GPU cooling (as to be honest have never worked with liquid cooling components) would it be better to look into the Hydro Copper cards or working with waterblocks DS would provide?

Another question is on the audio dampening, how effective is DS's noise reduction? Or is it something not to be bothered with if I'm messing around with a larger case and liquid cooling?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 3:18pm
Why would not oppose something that cost more and gets beat by a setup that cost less? quad sli gets beat by tri sli 570/580.

as I mentioned you are getting lag because of internet connection or not enough gpu power, metro is a heavy game and needs lot of gpu power, most games tho are not like that. 20 fps is not smooth gaming, it tells you that you need more gpu power.

instead of wasting money on stuff you don't need now or makes no difference (aka quad sli and other stuff), save some of that money and upgrade your sli in 2 years, thats teh only way to be future proof and if you do it right with the future sli upgrade you will spend no more then the total of what you are trying to spend now.

for dual loop two triple rads are fine, use xspc "rx" series rads, they work best with low cfm fans so use Scythe gentle typhoon on them that way you will have a great performing loop that is quiet.

the wb that DS uses on cpu is fine. Hydro Copper cards are a joke comparing to good wb for the gpus. pumps, tubes, reservoir, go with what DS uses.

but I have to say you are putting lot of money in cooling that is not needed or necessary. and will make future gpu upgrades cost twice as much.

noise package is not needed and at best gets rid of 10% of noise, but keep in mind trap noise, trap heat, lower fan speeds lose airflow performance.

I can see tri sli at 2560 x 1600 for the next 2 years easy, after that you upgrade gpus.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 2:52am

True, true. Merely wanted to know why the quad SLI is hated by comparison, though if it can be outperformed (as you claim) by the Tri then I have no arguments.

And Metro 2033 is pretty much the only title I can think of which would have those issues, though I am referring to lag experienced by users in single player games, anywho, moving on.

I agree with the future proofing concept of saving to spend when needed, lacking the need to dump an obscene amount of money into a computer, though the situation is difficult to explain, however I will be keeping that in mind. Less focusing on GPUs for the moment and more on water cooling, which may seem ironic as I am wondering why are Hydro Copper cards are such a failure in comparison to good water blocks for regular GPUs?

Also, thanks for the notes on the noise package, it doesn't seem like an equal trade off to get next to no reduction and yet have to sacrifice performance of the whole cooling system.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 3:29am
Its not my claim, its what the numbers say when you compare them, most games tri wins by a good margin, some games they are even and very few games quad wins by like 3 or 5 percent.

the hydro copper cards are just not as good of a water block as the other good blocks on the market. check out ek or xspc had some good ones, some times swiftech's blocks are great, sometimes they are not, stay aways from blocks and parts from places like koolance. blocks are difficult as one brand can be great for one line but the next line is better with a different brand.

on top of that the cards themselves have different revisions so say the 570 could have 4 different blocks, and depending on your revision only one will work with yours.

with a lc system, if you get the parts I mentioned you should have almost no noise, where is the noise going to come from? the fans for the rads are quiet ones, if you use quiet fans in the case then all fans are quiet, where would the noise come from to begin with, that we would need to contain it?

keep in mind with lc on gpus, you need to work with the loop to change gpus when the time comes.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Oct 2011 at 3:32am
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 3:48am

Indeed, your opinions are often based on factual information, so I was just working off that assumption. What are your thoughts on thoughts on the Kelper cards?

I’ll have to keep that in mind, Hydro Copper also seems to carry one heck of a pricetag, too. What is your suggested SSD above 100GB?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 3:58am
Have not heard too much about the new gpus, won't matter much what they say now anyways, you always have to wait for them to come out and see the actual performance.

for ssds I like intel 320 first and foremost for reliability, after that I like the c300/m4, all 3 have drives around the 120GB size.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 4:01am
Of course. Do you have any personal insight into what you believe the performance changes will be? Even if it is a gut feeling I am curious percent wise how much better they may be compared to say the 580.

And are there any suggested drives for 160-300GB range? And how common is the failure rate in the drives you've suggested? Any known problems?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 4:48am
The 320 seems to be pretty solid, we have not seen any issues here on the forum so far, the c300 and m4 seem to be good also, you can find all 3 in the range you mentioned.

I don't like to speculate and I have not seen enough info to speculate to be honest about the gpus.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 1:27pm
Are there any 2TB hardrives you would suggest?

And not speculating is completely fine with GPUs, best not to raise or crush hope prematurely.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 4:02pm
I don't like drives bigger than 1TB right now, it takes lot of time to scan and backup those, in short don't know much about the 2TB drives to have anything meaningful to say. If I have a need for 2TB of space, I would put them on two 1TB black caviar, I don't believe the 2TB enjoys the same speeds as the 1TB version.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 12:40am
Hey, thanks for the assistance. Sorry for the massive delay in this response, though I've been a little busy as of late. I shall post another question or two when I can recall them, though for now you've done wonders.
Thank you, DST.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 1:14am
My pleasure ask as many questions as you like whenever you like                                    
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 12:06am
DST, taking up your offer of course; what is your opinion on dual PSUs? Whether they are linked, or just having a seperate PSU running fans and cooling?

And is there any setup right now that could require more than say... Your current PSU source?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 12:40am
2 PSU = twice the headache, there is nothing you would need to do that needs dual psus, I would stay away from it whenever possible, it complicates things.

If you throw tec or more gpus in my build you gonna need another psu, which also means the room you put this pc in needs a 20amp circuit/wall socket.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Nov 2011 at 12:41am
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 11:17pm
Speaking of TEC, how good is DigitalStorm's TEC cooling system? Is it worth the money to get it for a tri-SLI and CPU combo?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 12:19am
Well it only does the cpu, the gpus are on a regular lc loop.

it does great with the cooling but you don't need load temps like that, its definitely a luxury item but IMHO its pretty cool to have, problems is that it has its own psu separate then the systems, and in a tri sli system, you gonna need that 20apm circuit/wall socket.

But if those load temps are what you need, then the tec gives it to you for sure.

I would only get tec on a cpu that runs the temps like my (i7 9xx) cpu does, but for cpus that run like the 2600k I would not see the need, now if it did the cpu and gpus, that would be another story.

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Nov 2011 at 12:21am
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 12:12am
Would it be unsafe to use a PSU such as a Silverstone 1500Watt without having a 20AMP socket? (Sounds like a stupid question, though better to be a fool for 5 minutes rather than forever.)

And what is your most often recommended PSU? And does this change with the addition of Tri-SLI, pumps and fans? (Not speaking of TEC, as you claim you would need another PSU.)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 1:25am
If you put the 1500w psu on a 15amp circuit, it will pop within minutes, but most people don't need that psu.

for psu I like corsair hx and ax models. what I recommend depends on what is needed.

I don't claim that tec needs another psu, tec has its own psu separate from the system itself.

psu needs differ depending on how many gpus you have, for dual sli 1050hx is great, for tri sli 1200w ax is great, but not on the p67.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 1:28am
Why is it different on the P67? 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 1:28am
Cause p67/z68 can't do tri sli correctly.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 9:46pm

It has been a long two weeks; at last, the x79 and Sandy Bridge E has graced us with their presence. And about damn time, too, lol... So I’d like to get an order out soon so for the record of all that we’ve talked about until now covers the following;

This all is pretty much set in stone:

Dell UltraSharp U3011 monitor.
(Using the Digital Storm Hailstorm builder base on the site)

Corsair 1200AX PSU

Intel 320 SSD with 300GB capacity for OS/Apps/Games
2 x 1TB Black Caviar drives. (What is the difference in the builder from choosing
2x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition), compared to just choosing 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) in Hard Drive Set 2 and Hard Drive Set 3? Rofl. I’d figure they are the same thing, as they add up to about the same price.)

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme x79

3 x SLI GTX 580 3GB

And this is where it gets messy…

Which case would be suggested? An 800D or a Mountain Mods’ case? With the 800D there is no way to use two triple rads without modifying the case and I take it if it is fully liquid cooled that a Mountain Mods’ case would be the best choice. Not to mention you also said the size of radiators dictate what case will be used, with that in mind would it be wise to just go with the Mountain Mods’ case?

I would like to select Stage 3 Overclock, however I am concerned over the lifespan of the CPU and the heat buildup. With the options we were talking about can Stage 3 be chosen without posing any real risk to the CPU? Or would it be best to settle with Stage 2?

I would also like to ask if Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Triple SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset would cover the components and if I could just ask to swap the rads and the fans with the XSPX radiators and Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans?
What do you know of the combination of pump and reservoir used in the loops? And the waterblocks? Or are those examples of “DS provided” components which were you talking about? >>

Also, what is the suggested RPM for those fans? I take it the best choices are between 1150 and 1850 RPM? And will they be used throughout the whole case?

I think that is good for a start… Sorry for the somewhat inprofessional appearence, though I am really starting to feel the hype. Excited

EDIT: Should I move this to configuration? Or repost there? >>

Edited by Ekkehard - 14 Nov 2011 at 10:25pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 12:47am
the mountain mod case here (tec) is too small and is gonna be crapped. people have changed from that to tec for more room.

stages don't matter to cpu, heat and vcore does, at stage 3 oc your vcore is at high 1.4 (1.48 or higher) at that level you can kiss your cpu goodbye by next year.

go with stage 2 oc and ask for vcore lower then 1.4.

you can change the rads and fans on them but you need to play attention, its xspc "rx" series, if you don't ask for the "rx" series you are wasting your time, cause not all xspc rads are good.

DS provides all the components for lc, I'm not sure what you meant here, but the pumps/res and cpu wb DS provides are great ones, the wb is best once you hit stage 4, I believe you will be getting what I have on mine, which is top of the line.

1450rpm is fine for those.

Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 10:07am
Okay, everything accounted for.

Would it just be wise to just use a 240 and 360 rad, both being XSPC RX rads, instead of the two 360 idea as I will be using the Obsidian 800D case?

Apart from that, I believe I am set. I take it I should probably send an email or call in relations to requests to the build which will change the overall price, correct? Is there a certain sale rep to which whom I should contact?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 6:51pm
Why not just stick the other triple outside back like mine?

To be honest I would not install more then one triple rad in hailstorm, temps are not gonna be great, triple goes on top, where is the double gonna go?
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 7:47pm
Pretty much have the same set up you have?
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 8:21pm
What would you recommend doing, then? If not placing more than one triple rad in the hailstorm unit?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 10:53pm
We place a double rad on the very bottom compartment and it draws fresh air from the bottom of the chassis and the hot air is pumped out of the side vents on the bottom compartment area.
Ekkehard View Drop Down

Quote Ekkehard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 11:10pm
Hey Alex, I suppose you're the person I needed to hunt down. That, or perhaps a sales rep.

And that sounds good, as long as temps are stable. So, if I was to place an order but would like to change the raditors and the fans would I just simply construct the system on the site and add that into special requests?

Issue being that the parts cost a different price than those which would be included in the system made with the system builder.

Or would it be best to just call/email? As I am pretty much ready. And I have almost bitten off 8 of my fingernails waiting for this month.. >> Literally dislodging them.. *Cough*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>