FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PC Build and Shipping Question

Post Date: 2014-07-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mike850 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mike850 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC Build and Shipping Question
    Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 4:57pm
Hey guys, this is my first custom PC purchase, and first desktop I'll be owning in a long time. I just wanted to post this up here to see if any of you spotted some glaring errors in my machine configuration that I didn't see. I've been doing a lot of research and Digital Storm is the best money-for-machine bargain so far (at least of all the builders that seem trustworthy). I also don't want sealed liquid cooling because the risk of a leak is not something I'd like.

I do have a question on shipping, though. How vulnerable are these machines in the shipping process? I'd have to pay $400 for freight shipping, which is a ton of money, versus $300 for wooden crate. I definitely don't want just standard ground shipping because people tend to throw/drop things, but is air or crate shipping that much worse than freight? I never ordered from here, and this will be my first custom gaming desktop (I used a laptop from the now defunct J&D store, so I never needed shipping). I just also still need a monitor/mouse/cheap headset, and am planning on using a somewhat older keyboard to save some money.

Also, if you see any ways to cheapen without too much performance loss, I'd love to know your ideas. I am certainly not an expert from only having read articles for a week or so.

And are the expensive fans effective for this case, or do fans work better for other cases? Thanks a ton in advance for any responses.

Configuration Code: 1012803
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,653.00

Budget:
3k ceiling

Expectations:
Long lasting machine (at least 5 years). Won't be able to hear the fans through any walls. Will be able to upgrade to add SLI w/ 2nd 780 Ti in the future for added lifespan.

Usage:
Regular AAA games. looking forward to the new LOTR game/DA:I

Special Needs:
Needs to fit on a desk with a hutch, so 19" or less depth. I don't want to put a computer horizontally on the desk, or diagonally. That seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Enix Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS Z97M-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (MATX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850 (Optimized for Silence) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (128GB Samsung 840 PRO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance <br><strong></strong>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
mike850 View Drop Down

Quote mike850 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 5:03pm
Also, I was thinking about possibly getting a Virtue model instead with similar specs, though I'm not sure. I read in a review on PC Mag that there was "no Wifi." What exactly does that mean? Was that just the reviewer's setup, or is there just no wifi capability in those models? It seems like you should just be able to plug a USB adapter into any computer and it would just have Wifi that way. I'm really inexperienced with a lot of this, so I'm sure this is an obvious question, but you should just be able to put a USB adapter into any computer and have it work for wifi, right?

Thank you for any response.
baconandeggs View Drop Down

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 5:34pm

Hey Mike850, re: cost savings, instead of 780Ti , consider AMD R290X .  Nvidia is more popular here but from what I can tell, you get comparable 780Ti performance for much less .    I initially was worried about the noise and heat from the initial releases with the stock reference cooler but learned that DS carries Asus or XFX that run quieter and cooler as a result of their own cooler implementations.

I also went with the Noctua as I had the same concern about the risk of liquid leak as you have.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 8:37pm
The motherboard they probably chose probably didn't have wifi capabilities but yes you can just plug a wireless usb adapter and it will work for wifi. As for shipping its pretty rare for a computer to get damaged, mine was shipped USPS and there wasn't any damage to my computer.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
mike850 View Drop Down

Quote mike850 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 11:45pm
Thank you for the responses. I don't think I'll be switching the graphics card because I've liked having Nvidia cards better than the AMD card I've had, but I do appreciate the feedback. And thank you for the answer to my rather silly wifi question, I don't know why that reviewer would've included that if it was just a matter of putting an adapter in like I thought.

Anyone have an opinion on the Virtue case vs. the Enix case? I'm pretty much going back and forth between the two, though both would have nearly identical specs. I think the only thing I'm unsure of is which case would be better cooled, particularly with the Noctua fan, and which case would be louder/quieter.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 1:20am
Originally posted by mike850

... And thank you for the answer to my rather silly wifi question, I don't know why that reviewer would've included that if it was just a matter of putting an adapter in like I thought.

Naw, not a silly question.  Some people forget that there are other possibilities besides hard wired (desktop) and wifi (laptop). 

Technology today is a wonderful thing. 

I will be using one of these adapters when I move my Vanquish II across the house instead of running 100' of cable and drilling holes in walls.

It's just that much easier.  Big%20Smile

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 2:52am
The Z97M- plus motherboard doesn't work with sli.   For future sli capable, choose the Gryphon mobo and your good to go.

Good luck.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 7:27am
I would suggest going with the Gryphon, like bprat22 suggests. If you want to keep more then just a couple games installed at the same time, you may want to consider a larger SSD, or you can install them on the hard drive.

Oh here is a review of the Virtue case (Corsair 350D), http://www.anandtech.com/show/6917/corsair-obsidian-350d-case-review

Also one for the Enix Case (Silverstone FT03), http://www.anandtech.com/show/4294/silverstone-ft03-nothing-else-like-it

Edited by danjw1 - 19 Jul 2014 at 7:28am
mike850 View Drop Down

Quote mike850 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 6:47pm
Thank you for all the responses. I definitely will be switching to the Gryphon motherboard. And a larger SSD does seem to be a good idea as well.
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 8:41pm
Do you live close to the east coast? I live in PA. and got the $400 dollar shipping, and mine went by rail. As a long time trucker, that is the best way to send a PC. As in a semi trailer it will be bouncing all across the country. I know.
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
mike850 View Drop Down

Quote mike850 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by PcKiller

Do you live close to the east coast? I live in PA. and got the $400 dollar shipping, and mine went by rail. As a long time trucker, that is the best way to send a PC. As in a semi trailer it will be bouncing all across the country. I know.

Yeah, I'm as east as you can get. that $400 shipping is really, really painful to look at. it's like 15% of the total cost of just the computer, and that's without a monitor or any of the other accessories i'm gonna have to get from somewhere. But I do trust your judgment on this because I don't like the idea of this thing bouncing in a plane and/or a truck for 3,000 miles. Rail definitely seems the most secure way to ship this thing.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 2:28am
Shipping (costs/time) is strictly a personal choice.  (Unless you get the really big, heavy machines, then they ~have~ to go by rail freight.)

Most people do not have a problem with regular ground shipping.  Truth be told, most ground shipments cross-country with UPS or other national carriers, go by rail anyway.  The only time you have to worry about a 100% truck ride is between neighboring zones.

Besides, it's not the ride between warehouses that is the roughest part... it's the handling WITHIN the warehouses/dock transfers/hubs.

(Source: personal experience with 30 years in the transportation sector: from driver, dispatcher, warehouseman, routes and planning, dock manager)

DS knows that these boxes get rough treatment.  They have taken extra steps in their packaging to mitigate the all but the hardest knocks and bangs.  Again, it's  up to you which freight option you choose, but don't discount the standard shipping methods when they are able to deliver your rig intact.
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:54am
Nice Rig!!   
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse