FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new pc config for me have questions

Post Date: 2012-06-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bloxter View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: new pc config for me have questions
    Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 11:29pm
1.) My Budget: 3k

2.) Expectations and Usage: I want to be able to play World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, Call of Duty the next one that comes out, Chess Master. I also want to be able to always have my browser open for music on pandora, I plan on streaming my starcraft 2 and my world of warcraft on twichtv. I want to be able to alt tab in and out asap. duel monitor, not for playing on both but main one internet and all tabs on the other, skype,vent, etc. I also want to be able to play chess while playing arenas in world of warcraft. thats pretty much it just use it for gaming and searching web a bunch.

4. Special Needs nothing to much special other than I do not want this pc to crash on me my current pc just shuts down on me usually 3 times a day right in the middle of gaming which does not make me to happy same with fifo he barks when I yell.

here is the build I did online 703364  which I like and its cost is 2,680 and
I built the same thing on new egg and its cost 2,217 for an extra 400 or 500 bucks with shipping I would rather have someone else build the pc and have a warranty on it plz let me know if I should change any of this to meet what I need thanks a lot dont really know to much about computers.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 3:49am
Hi Bloxter.....Welcome to the forums.

My suggestion would be to change the case.  The  Hailstorm case looks real nice and is, but it is made for full water cooled setups.  Only a single 140mm fan feeds fresh air into the mobo area.  We always recommend the HafX ( Dreadnought ) first because of its great airflow.   It is the best. Also, the 500R, 600T and 550D are better suited to the task. 

Drop memory speed from 2133MHz to 1600Mhz.  The speed you'll never see and the higher speed is more unstable with overclocking.

No HDD for mass storage?  The 180GB SSD will load up real quick.  It is great for Win7 OS and the games you use the most, but a HDD is great for older games. downloads, music, pics, etc.

Change cpu cooler to the stage 2 Vortex 240mm unit.  A larger radiator will cool the chip better.  The UV tubing you picked is for true water cooled setups, like Stage 4 and up.  Wouldn't apply here since the Vortex is a sealed unit and is what it is.

The gtx 670 is a great card but without knowing the monitor size and resolution it's tough to say what performance the single card will give you.

My final suggestion would be , for your budget, look at the ODE V2 Lvl 4 under Special Ops section.  For $180 less ,  you'll get the SSd, 1 TB HDD, blu-ray player, the better 240mm  cpu cooler and most of all, a sli, 2x gtx670 for great gaming.  The 600T case is also much better for cooling.

Here's a custom config similar to the ODE 4 but based on the HafX case to check out.

Config # 703394     Cost $ 2809

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

The SSD is smaller than your build, but that is easily adjusted. 

Good luck and hope this helps.  Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 29 Jun 2012 at 6:15am
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 10:59pm
hey thanks for the info I have a couple more questions I just talked with my wife and showed her what you showed me and I really love the hailstorm case so I wanted to post this build that I redid and see what you think it is a little bit more money but might as well since I am already spending 3k

here is the new config 703865

questions
1.) how much memory do I really need for gaming this one is 16g at the 1600 you told me there was not an option to get 8g at 1600
2.) mother board difference sabertooth vs the rampage for gaming I will spend an extra 100 bucks if I have to
3.) monitor and video cards right now I am using a dell monitor 18 inch I have heard form a lot of people you only need 1 video card that the games cant even really use 2 video cards. I would love to know what you suggest for a monitor with a good graphics card and a monitor for duel graphics card

thanks again for your time and knowledge

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 3:56am
The reason the X79 platform on your latest build is 16GB memory is because the X79 is a quad channel memory mobo as opposed to the Z77's dual memory .  This means that 4x4GB of ram sticks is needed to fill 4 slots to take advantage of the X79's quad bandwidth.  The Z77 being dual memory can do it with 2x4GB ram stixxks, or 8GB ram.    8GB is all gaming needs but 16 certainly doesn't hurt especially if you have multiple apps open at once.

The Sabertooth mobo is great for a single or sli video card setup or even trisli, 3x gpu..  The Extreme is more for those that want to go quad sli, 4x gpu because it offers more PCie x16 slots to hold 4 cards.

I would drop the 6 core 3930 chip to the 4 core 3820 chip and put the saved $300 to going sli, 2x gtx 670.  The 6 core chip is for video rendering, editing, etc that can ultilize it.  The gtx 670 is almost the same perfromance as the 680 for alot less and sli will give you much higher performance if you went with a 23/24" Dell UltraSharp at 1920x1080 for example.  The Dell Ultrsharps, like U2312HM, are great.

If you do play games that don't play well with sli, then a couple of clicks of the mouse in Nvidia Control Panel will disable it until you change it back.  No hardware tweeking is neccessary.

Hope this helps and good luck.Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Jul 2012 at 3:59am
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:32pm
ok thanks for all the info this is really helping me. I got one more question for ya. I drop down to that cpu and get duel sli I was going to do that but they offer a 2g and a 4g 670 graphics cards which one do I want? I guess I am confuesd does this mean the video cards have there own memory?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:38pm
Yes.....video cards have their own memory, called vram, for video ram.   The 2gb card is all you need.    Some want the future proof of the 4gb card but its very debatable of the benefit.     Doesn't hurt if in the budget just not much data to support it right now.      
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 8:45pm
ok bprat these are my final questions then I will post my final build and order

1.) ssd drives the intel 520 serious vs corsair. s the only difference in price because of the storage or is the intel a better ssd to have because if it is not going to make that much of a difference in speed then I will just go with the corsair since I am only going to have windows and a couple games on the ssd

2.) my power supply is the 800 watt corsair  gs is that going to be ok with duel video cards for the gtx 670 2gb or should I go with 850W Corsair TX850 V2 (Dual SLI Compatible) it is only  38 more bucks

3.)RAM am I better off going with 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series or 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance) I would pay 70 more bucks to have the corsair if it is better. and do I want to overclock my ram?

4.) I guess I am still confused on the liquid cooling right now I have H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition) and then they have the H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only.  I just think it is funny they are both the same radiator size but the subzero one is 260 extra bucks why the hell would anybody go with this one? and also do I even need liquid cooling or should I just go with a heatsink fan upgrade. and why does it not give me the options to watercool my video cards all it gives me is to cool the cpu.

5.) Do I overclock my video cards? for gaming or will this ruin there longevity.

6.Chassis Mod's: do I need these extra fans put in? HailStorm & 950Si: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes and also do I want to upgrade to zulman fan's for better fan speed?

and that should just about do it I really do appreciate your time bprat22 couldent say thank you enough this will help me do my final build

Edited by Bloxter - 03 Jul 2012 at 12:51am
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 5:32am
Hey Bloxter. I am not (by any means) well versed in cooling, but I will try to answer all of the other questions as well as I can.

1. They are both about the same speed, but the Intel has a five year warranty, while the Corsair has a three year warranty.

2. The 800W should be fine. Both are dual SLI comptible, and 670's consume fairly little power (idle: ~101W; at load: ~247W).

3. I don't think that you would get nearly enough of a performance increase to justify spending $70. It probably isn't worth it.

5. It should be fine, although if you went with the 2x670 and had the 1080p monitor, you really would have absolutely no reason to even bother overclocking.

Edited by Orange7 - 03 Jul 2012 at 5:33am
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 7:18am
Hi Bloxter...Orange7 is right on.  For the 4th question, the stage 4 cooling is true water cooling, with seperate, pump, cooling block,reservoir, replaceable tubing, etc and good quality components, hence the price increase.    The Stage 2 Vortex 240mm  unit is a sealed unit with the water pump built into the cooling  block that mounts to the cpu.  The Vortex stage 2 is very similar to the Corsair H100 unit minus the fan speed button in case you want to google it and see what's up.

They both work well, but the stage 4 does have seperate, better components.

For question 6, the Hailstorm case probably doesn't need the added fans.  If they do, DS will let you know when they stress the system and check thermals.  Just to emphasize.....the Hafx is a better air cooled case but your call. 

I'm not sure of your final build, but if it is still config # 703865 then I would still make the changes i suggested above, like going with 3820 chip and sli 670 but it is your call and either way you will have a real nice system.. I just try to get others the most bang for their buckBig%20Smile

Hope this helps and good luck..Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Jul 2012 at 7:27am
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 9:58am

Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 10:00am
ok so here is my final build which I will order here soon probably at the end of the month. bprat22 if you think I should change anything for any reason let me know that would be great.

Specifications: 
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core) <b></b>
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) <b></b>
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST) <b></b>
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue) <b></b>
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 10:38am

That build looks real nice.  Big%20Smile
  Couple of things......The 3820 chip DS will probably only overclock to stage 1 being a non-k chip, meaning not unlocked.   But not a big deal.  Ask DS for sure and save the $20. 

Your internal H2O tubing and internal chassis lighting are both blue and the HafX front fan is red.  I think it looks great, but just bringing it up in case you missed it.  Some want all the same color.

One other detail.....I just know you want to kick me.LOL, the 800W psu will handle the load without issues, but if in the budget, go 1050HX for more headroom in the future.  The 1050hx is really more than you'll need and the 800W will make it, just wish a 950W was available for that sweet spot. 

Nice rig.   Go for it. Awesome

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Jul 2012 at 12:51pm
Tio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Tio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 8:27am
Greetings,
 you have a very nice build going there and the advice from both bprat22 & orange7 is rock solid.
 my question to you is that your build shows 2 Blue ray player/DVD player/writers in it.is this a choice you made ? if not you wouuld be better off just getting 1 BlueRay writer/player/DVD writer/Player and save yourself the money.
 hope this helps Big%20Smile
Hailstorm II
Intel 3970K
Corsair 1200i
32gig Corsair Dominator Platinum
Samsung 512gif 840 Pro SSD
4tb Western Digital Black HD
Blue-Ray and DVD Burn/Player
3xSLI EVGA GTX Titan Hydro Copper Video
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:57am
Hi Bloxter,

I think you made a wise decision not to go with the Hailstorm case for your build. As mentioned you don't need the stage 4 cooling on the CPU. The Vortex 240 will do the job for less money. Take the money you save and get the 1050 power supply.

With your CPU I suggest you get Win-7 Pro. With Win-7 Home you won't be able to ever add any more memory. You will be stuck at 16Gb.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 05 Jul 2012 at 8:58am
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 11:18pm

Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 11:26pm
ok I am back was out of town for the 4th anyway I have ready what you guys have posted and thought a lot about my build and wanted to change a few things. I went with the 3930k processor for future proof and some other reasons. I went with the cheaper cooling which should be just fine. I did increase the power supply to 1050. I do have 2 drives because one of my games requires the disc in at all times being chess master of course, that way I have a free one if I want it. other than that I think that is it I am really happy with this build and it is under 3,500 once again I ask if you guys see something that maybe I should do plz post if not I will be ordering this here in a couple of weeks just gotta pay off that dam american express first before intrest kicks in. this computer is going to blow my computer out of the water. I think I am going to post after I get this computer my old computer which is about 7 years old. I mean dam I am still running windows xp. with 2gs of memory and a single 6800 gtx with a intel core duo cpu 6600 at 2.4ghz anyway I just want to say thank you to everybody for helping me with this build I am so excited to order it and special thanks to bprat22 thanks for putting up with me and thansk for all of your time here is the build

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 6:19am
What is your reasons for going 3930k over 3820 the 3820 will perform the same and in some cases better than the 3930k. The 6 core has the edge in rendering/editing when all cores are fully used. If I where you I would drop back to the 3820 and with the money you save get a bigger ssd or a dedicated soundcard. Ds should beable to oc the 3820 to 4.5ghz but its very simple to oc it to 4.75 4.8 especially with the cooler you are using. In regards to future proofing cpus will be WAY more future proof then videocards you will upgrade your videocards before you would need to upgrade the cpu, and by that time you might be looking at a new system. But in the end its your choice just trying to save you money.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 6:34am
Hi Bloxter...That is a great build.  Right on. Big%20Smile 
The hafX case is the way to go and you'll be very happy with it.

My only comment would be to mirror what tju76 mentioned, about the need for the 3930k chip, but if its in the budget it certainly will not hurt.  Yoiu might even find yourself getting into areas like video editing, etc you never imagine with a rig that can do it in style.  We just try to get others the most for their money with little wastage. 

If you ever think you'll up the ram then Frank's suggestion of Win7 Pro is the way to go.  For $32 its a little security but then you might never need it.

Don't forget the free t-shirt.  It's the law. Big%20Smile

Congrats and keep us updated.Big%20Smile

Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 1:24am
ok time for an update I have had a set back not going to be able to order this as soon as I wish I could, gotta love how my wife just needed new tires for here car. anyway over the past few weeks I am been reading the forums and doing research. I have 2 builds before me that I want to share with you guys and some questions and I am going to stop saying this is my last question because I will probably have another one Smile.

Build 1 Price Sub-Total:$3,082.00

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Higher Overclocks and Unique Wi-Fi Features)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Optical Drive 2: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Build 2 Price Sub-Total:$3,091.00

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Questions

1.) these are both the same build other than the cpu one is 3770k and the other 3820. I know the 3770k can be overclock to stage 2 and were as the 3820 an only be overclocked to stage 1. Also cpu benchmarks have the 3770k higher than the 3820 not by much bit its just odd. So I am curious as to which cpu would you guys pick and why.

2.) I saw a post that Alex had mentioned about the Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler. If I were to get this would my top fans on this case not be able to be installed? I thought I saw a post saying you would not be able to have those installed because of the radiator, however I seem to not be able to find this post and link it.

3.) Which is better for cooling Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler or AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011. I like the idea of the Vortex due to no maintenance because it is a closed loop. The reason I ask this is if I go with the Vortex and they are not able to install the top case fans maybe I want to go with the Noctua or go with stage 4 liquid cooling they can place the radiator and the pump wherever they can find room to make sure the top fans can be installed.

4.) Video Cards- Should I go with FTW which is the overclocked one or just the normal 670gpu. The reason I ask is the ftw is factory overclocked and they will both still have warranty why not pay the extra 50 bucks to have the better video card(s).

5.) Case- I was on new egg and I see they have a HAF X 942 Blue Edition. Would digital storm be able to order this case for me at maybe an extra price or maybe they will just do it for me when they order more HAF X 942. I just hate the color red.

Other than that I think that is about it hope to hear from you guys soon.

Edited by Bloxter - 23 Jul 2012 at 1:30am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:38am
Hi Bloxter....

If this is a gaming rig with no need for quad channel ram of the X79 platform, such as for video editing, rendering, photoshop, etc, then the Z77 build is the one.

The Vortex 240mm rad will mount under the top and get rid of the top 200mm fan.

The Noctua d14 and Vortex 240mm will cool the i7-3770k about the same.  The D14 is more reliable, with very little to go wrong.  I'm not sure where they would mount the stage 4, 240mm rad.  I would think on the top also, but not sure.

The 670 FTW has the clock speed of the 680 and a better circuit board and the 680 cooler fan for better cooling.  The non-oc'd is great also, and the cooling is fine.  Just that when oc'ing, more heat is generated and the better cooler helps.  If in the budget go for the FTW in my opinion.

You'd have to ask DS about the case.  My understanding is that you would order, send it to them and then the building would start.

Hope this helps and good luck.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Jul 2012 at 9:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply