FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PC Gaming Build - need help

Post Date: 2020-03-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rgire View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rgire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC Gaming Build - need help
    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 9:54pm

Would appreciate your opinions on this build.

Monitors: 2 x 27 inch 1080p

Budget:
$ 3200

Expectations:
Would like not to have to upgrade for 3 - 4 years. I'm a gamer only

Usage:
Apex Legends and MW War Zone

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: 2922672

Specifications:
Item 1 --- Digital Storm Velox (Config # 2922672)
$3,149.00
$3,149.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by rgire - 22 Mar 2020 at 9:57pm
Rich G
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 4:23am
The DS M.2 SSD is SATA only. the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO is NVMe, which uses the PCIe bus for up to 5 times the speed. That is a must have upgrade that will improve everything you do.

The 2070 SUPER is actually overkill for 1080p monitors, but it's in the budget!     A 2060 SUPER would do a great job.

The internal lighting strip is free, so.... If you don't like the xtra bling, you can turn it off.
rgire View Drop Down

Quote rgire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 4:50am
Thanks Cretae,

I was hoping you would see my post and reply. I have been reading your recommendations for the past week or so.

Questions:

1. I have seen some recent recommendations for a Corsair water cooler, but I do not see that as an option. Am I missing something?
2. Should I overclock my GPU since I am going with a higher grade fan?
3. Do you like the Velox case? If I went with another case, like the Lumos,it would free up some cash to possibly upgrade something else, like the SSD to 1TB. What do you think?

Appreciate your advice. Just trying to stay slightly above $3000 to get the $300 discount!

Rich G

Thanks

Rich G

Edited by rgire - 23 Mar 2020 at 5:31am
Rich G
earthseeker View Drop Down

Quote earthseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Cretae

The DS M.2 SSD is SATA only. the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO is NVMe, which uses the PCIe bus for up to 5 times the speed. That is a must have upgrade that will improve everything you do.

The 2070 SUPER is actually overkill for 1080p monitors, but it's in the budget!     A 2060 SUPER would do a great job.

The internal lighting strip is free, so.... If you don't like the xtra bling, you can turn it off.

hi bud was wondering if you could pm have a few question if you dont mind
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:28am
@ rgire:

The Corsair coolers have been discontinued. DS has cited supply and support issues for the reason. The Corsair coolers were not built by them but branded and supported. According to DS, their own brand is very much the same unit built at the same factory.

We don't care much to overclock GPUs on air alone. The performance doesn't change much, and it can make your GPU run hotter and the fans spin up to full volume more often.

Lol, what I think of the case you like shouldn't matter a bit! Personally, I prefer the lean and mean Samsung 512GB NVMe just for OS and apps, and a few of my top games. That way, when I have to perform a scan for virus, malware, or cookies, it's done in mere seconds, or a minute or two. When the day comes you need more storage, you get to choose between adding another super-fast NVMe M.2 to the motherboard (because there's another slot!) and getting a SATA SSD for much less money to hold your growing games library. Either one is very easily installed yourself, honest!

If the best way to allow the NVMe into the budget and keep the 2070 S is to change to a Lumos case, you won't go wrong, IMO. You may not have noticed, but since the Velox window is on the right, the mobo and attachments are upside down so they can still be shown off through the glass. some think it looks a bit odd, but....
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:31am
Originally posted by earthseeker

hi bud was wondering if you could pm have a few question if you dont mind

Sorry, there is no pm feature enabled at this site.
 Post Reply Post Reply