FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PC

Post Date: 2021-10-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Juanito View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Juanito Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:49pm
Budget:
[3000]

Expectations:
[gaming at 1440p, I expect to use the same computer for around 5 years. ]

Usage:
[gaming and engineering stuff, CAD, solidworks etc]

Specifications:
Mid Tower Chassis Digital Storm Lumos

Intel Core i7-11700K

ASUS Prime Z590-P / MSI Z590-A Pro (Intel Z590 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)

850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) (read that I need 750 W for the 3080)

16GB DDR4 Memory

500GB M.2 SSD

1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

I don't know much about computers
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 3:58am
Welcome.

That is a nice set up. To make full use of the PCIe connection, I would change the 500GB M.2 SSD (its SATA not PCIe, M.2 is the form factor-size) to a NVMExpress SSD.

Hopefully others with more knowledge will come by and assist you in getting the best bang for your buck.

Enjoy.
Smile
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 7:17pm
Hoserator gave you good advice about picking PCIe SSD vs SATA. I used the DS Forum myself to be sure I was getting the right configuration on my recently ordered system. Cretae was a big help to me. Hoserator is a good person for support also!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 4:49am
Welcome. So here's the main thing. There is no need for a 3080 to game at high settings on 1440p. You miss your budget by a pretty wide margin unless you go with an RTX 3070. The decision is yours, but you could have a better overall system, cheaper, if you got the appropriate GPU. There's not $419 worth of difference between the two at these prices. There will be a whole new line of cards from Nvidia out in less than a year that will perform better in every way than this generation. We all hope those will sell much closer to their MSRP. If there is ANY hint of disappointment in a 3070 should you take my advice, you could get a shiny new 4070 that will likely outperform the 3080. I'll bet you'd not feel the need.

That said, here's a couple of sample builds for you:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4147382

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4147384

The two are nearly identical except for the motherboard. It is unfortunate that we don't have more mobo choices for the Intel processors. The fact is, the Maximus XIII Hero is overkill with features you'll never use. The MSI Gaming Pro Carbon for the AMD build, however, is a very nice step-up from the base mobo at a reasonable price. The two CPUs are are nearly identical in performance. There will never be a perceptible difference.

Both have all SSD storage that will be substantially better than having a mechanical drive. It's quite easy to add more SSDs to these when needed. As hoserator and Onkel_Ken mentioned, the Samsung 980 PRO is one of the fastest NVMe SSDs you can get, and the best choice for your primary drive.

These are the best recommendations I can make for your budget. You are free to play around with either config until you get where you want to be. The main emphasis here is that I hope you won't waste your money on the wrong GPU.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 3:45am
ALERT!

Since my post yesterday, The newest CPUs from Intel have become available here at DS! They were rumored to be out Nov. 4, and I thought they might be delayed a bit while DS accumulated some stock. These are worth getting, and come with a much better motherboard than the ones I think could use a little upgrade. The ASUS Z690P D4 even includes Wi-Fi. Here's the best build now at your budget:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4148625

There's room here to get the fancy upgrade that makes a Lumos build look so good... RGB fans. At $199, they are not overpriced, and it would bring you in at $3088. Close enough, I think!

Edited by Cretae - 28 Oct 2021 at 8:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply