Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Raif View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: NEW plz help with config ty
    Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 1:23pm
hey guys i am new to the DS community i plan to buy within in the next few months. i would like to have this computer for 5+ years with little to zero upgrading. the resolution i will be gaming at is 1900 x 1200p at a minimum. also experimenting with the idea of eyefinity... my budget with out tax 9k.

in terms of storage i don't need loads of it, this will purely be for games only. i'll let my older computer do my music, browser surfing ect...

on this rig i really want SSD preferably OCZSSD2-1CLS500G if not then i will settle for the 2x 256GB SSD. Also whats the difference between the two SSD choices availible in 256GB? What happened to the OCZ SSD on the configuration list?

I do have a ? though would it be better if i overclocked a i7 920 or 960? some people tell me the 960 has more advanced architecture and will be able to take the stress of extreme overclocking better then its brother the 920.

Also if i do have any overkill please tell me what it is and why. i would'nt mind saving a few bucks if i could. also if a area needs improving i am also willing to take that into consideration.

one last thing i am worried about PCI-E slots. i do a lot of internet gaming and the Xeno pro would benifit me, would it be better to scrap a sound card and use intergrated motherboard sound? or scrap the Xeno Pro and keep the sound card?

thanks for your time and patience.
ticket # 352083

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 3:28pm
at your resolution you will never notice the difference between your config and this one for gaming, you got a lot of overkill.

Xeno pro won't benefit you one bit, your isp speed, the server you are connecting to and the distance between the server and you make the difference in on line gaming.

Here you go Ticket# 352114 --- Price: $6161 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $5761

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Paint All Trim Accents: Chassis Vents, Grills, Screws, and Hose Clamps (Blue)
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (256GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-256D1)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Specialized FrostBite Separate Dual Loop System for CPU & One Video Card
Liquid Color:UV Blue: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 5 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

everything you see is gone, didn't make a difference to performance.

also you don't want to spend money on things that are ok now and call it not needing an upgrade, its always best to get what you need now, and then down the road if you need more then you add it then, for 2 reasons:

1. down the road there are better more powerful things.

2. most likely the prices of these new things are the same or better then what you are paying now.

Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 5:17pm
the reason why i chose ATI over Nvdia is for the direct x11.
believe me i'd rather have the gtx 295 but that is direct x 10
would i need a physics card with the ATI set up?
why knock down to 1x vid card and not two... 3 yes overkill
why knock down from 12 to 6 GB of ram ( i understand the muskin b/c of the price difference)
why knock the Xeno pro (i have the top knotch fios and i still lag)
why keep dual loop on the cooling then
3.33 - 3.9? does that mean anywhere in between?

this computer is meant for extreme gaming for long periods of time... also hosting massive online multiplayer games.

finally there is a much higher chance of me getting a 1600p res monitor then a 1200p. i will only get a 1200p if i can not fit a assembled 30 in monitor on my desk. so far i found a couple that meet my height restriction

thanks again for your time and patience
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 6:41pm
why go with only one card? cause for you resolution you would not tell the difference between one/two or three.

doubt you need physx setup.

why 6GB instead of 12GB? cause just like the gpus, if I came in the middle of the night and changed the ram form 12GB to 6GB you would never notice the difference, the same with gpus, if I came and took out 2 of the gpus, in the morning you would never notice the difference.

Xeno pro will not help you at all, you lag is dependent on your isp, the sever you car connecting to and the distance between you and that server, I mentioned this already.

dual loop so that a. your cpu temp stays low under load, and b. you can more gpus to the loop in the future if your resoltution becomes higher, aka room for growth.

my config can handle whatever your needs are, worst case scenario you add if you need something, but I doubt you would need anything.

whats a 1600P res? there is only 1080p, or are you talking about 2560 x 1600 vs 1900 x 1200? for 1900 x 1200 a single 5870 is all you need for higher res you will need cf 5870.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 7:13pm
i meant 2560 x 1600 sorry...

would i notice a benfit between 1600 mhz ram and 1866 mhz ram?
i still would like 2x 5870 and stage 2 on the cpu boost everything else i will be following to the letter... would i need a larger PSU then the 1 in your config?

thanks for your advice and time you have been most helpful
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:20pm
My pleasure

no you will not notice a difference between 1866 and 1600.

if your res is gonna be 2560 x 1600 then yes get 2 x 5780.

you don't need and will have not use for stage 2 oc.

the 1000w corsair can handle 2 x 5870 fine.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 12:48am
thanks 1 last thing that i am absolutely baffled about is the range on stage 1
3.3 - 3.9
does that mean i can wind up with a 3.3 oc?
or does that mean it operates in that spectrum depending on heat,stress and load?
frankly i do not mind saving $150 but it is a wide spectrum and it has me very skeptical.

if you could clarify this for me that would be amazing

also i realized that i never specified that i would be running the 64 bit of windows 7...
would there still be no point on the 12 gb of ram and everything else you changed?

thanks again! sorry if i am being a pest... i have been saving and drooling over a  for a top line computer since dec looking at every manufacturer under the sun and i want it to be perfect. i am extremly impressed with DS and i will buy from here
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 3:57am
well without 64-bit, you couldn't even use the 6GB, 32-bit can only use 4GB total, that includes the gpu ram.

so in short 64-bit has northing to do with 12GB, ram use has to do with multitasking, very few people need more then 6GB of ram.

as for the oc yes you can endup with 3.3 but all the stage 1 oc with 1600MHz ram I have seen here have all been around 3.7GHz, and for gaming you will never notice the difference between 3.6 and 4.0GHz oc, mainly cause at that res, performance is more gpu dependent and once you are above 60 fps you will not notice the extra.

you are not being a pest at all, ask as many questions as you have before you buy, me/we are here to help specifically with those questions and I personally love sharing knowledge, so the more you ask the happier I get
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 1:40pm
very true about 4 gb max on 32 bit... forgot about that...
can you request a 3.6 in the special instructions?
i have been reading more and more that SSD fails... not only in just plain dieing but also is performance reduction as well... IYO would the veloci be a better match?
i usually run 2 games at once... so this can handle crysis and oblivion at the same time?
Also one thing that has truly baffled me is Raid 5... i don't understand how it can lose a drive and still function... it doesn't seem like all the parodies are split up enough to where if you lose one drive you lose at least 1 or more parodies.
would you reccomend raid 5?
with the loss on the SSD on my config i am seriously thinking about 3x veloci in raid 5
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 3:39pm
ssds are fine and not all are the same, corsair, intel and vertex are good ssds, tho intel did just have a mishap with their firmware but that is not the ssd's fault.

if your current machine can run crysis and oblivion at the same time then for this machine it will be a peace of cake.

raid 1 or 5 or likes of it, are duplicating, so when one drive goes out, there is a duplicate on the second drive, however if the raid itself fails then you will lose all data.

IMO stay away from raid.

btw make sure your ram is 3 x 2GB so that if you want to add more ram down the line you just buy what you need.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Nov 2009 at 3:40pm
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 11:45pm
when i said crysis and oblivion at the same time i meant for the new machine.... but then i gather it would be a cake walk ty. (these are the highest games that my current rig can handel)

if the raid fails will it destroy the drives, can i just re-install the OS if it does? does it fail a lot?

what about ocz ssd? they have a 500 GB one that i am looking at... here is the link
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid_state_drives/ocz_colossus_series_sata_ii_3_5-ssd

here is a link for a lot of negative reviews on ssd (corsair)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233093

if i don't specify 3x on the ram then they use lower GB dimms and take all the slots? bad for me cheap for them... will this increase the cost my rig?

i have also never had a computer with multiple hardrives before... let alone anything over $1000. i don't really understand how that works... isn't it annoying to have different things all over the place? Also i have a really bad memory so i don't think i would remember where i put things on a multi HDD set up

set 1 os
set 2 games/music?
set 3 back ups?

again thanks you've been a great help
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:55am
I'm not sure if you can run crysis and oblivion, honestly crysis is such a beast I'm just not sure.

I myself have been waiting for Colossus but I'm gonna wait and see what some people that get it have to say, since its in an internal drive.

I'm surprised to see the corsair extreme have so much trouble, the P series is great tho http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233085 but keep in mind that DS test the HDDs and its under warranty, and I'm sure if you got to the third one, they will give you an option for another kind, but seeing how they are go with vertex, P series or intel.

I'm almost sure they use 2GB sticks but it never hurts to be sure right?

multiple HDDs show up under "My computer" just like your current C drive but they will have a different drive letter.

look at the pic below, you see 5 HDDs, they all open like a folder just like the main drive (C drive):

above you see 5HDDS, C,D,E,N,O, C has the os on it

so basically you use the HDDs just they were a folder.

as for HDD setup, you want it like below:

HDD1 fast HDD, for os/apps/games

HDD2 regular speed HDD, for media/work/personal file storage

HDD3 external HDD, for backups. If all you are backing up is stuff thats on HDD2, then HDD3 can be internal HDD.

My pleasure

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Nov 2009 at 12:58am
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 3:35am
i guess now you see why i want a nuts rig... my addiction crysis. you have no idea how many times i lagged at the most crucial times... comming out of the lag dead pisses me off. multiplayer is just plain nuts on the demand on your computer... i do not know if you play it or have.. but the AA guns create so much lag that you are forced to sit and wait until he runs out of ammo! just one AA will do that... also 32 people in a room can get hairy...

thanks again for the info. i think i may just stick with 2x veloci 3 would be over kill for me. then upgrade to ssd in a year or so once they have have more tiem to work out kinks.

somone once told me "hope for the best plan for the worst" so naturually assuming they would use all the slots on lower GB dimms to decrease the over all manufacturing cost and increase their profit margines. the higher GB dimms cost much more money. this has been the case at least with Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, HP, and IBM which i have personaly owned i do not know about others.

if you see anything in the build you made that needs to be changed let me know.

so far changes

HDD: 2x veloci
GPU: 2x 5870 (for 2560 x 1600)

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:02am
well the good news is that you can always add another 5870 if you needed to, but I doubt you will, tho with crysis you never know, I'm sure 3 x 5870 at 2560 x 1600 will be nothing but a nice snack for crysis

why not just go with one 300GB veloci and then upgrading to ssd next year. veloci is fast as it is.

I'm pretty sure I have seen Alex mention that they use 2GB sticks but personally like to double check to be sure, so when you order just double check.

whats your room temp?
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:50pm
67 - 68 F is my room temp all year round

got a point on 1x veloci then i have a 300 Gb hard drive 87% free space ( but my cpu severly limits my gaming so it would be much higher usage but maybe not enough for 2)

are you saying i should upgrade back to three 5870?

if so what PSU should i use?

what do u mean by snack.. meaning crysis will pwn my system or the other way around?

if crysis will pwn my system could you possible tell me any changes to the build

also the new 1 releasing on 2012 looks cool saw it on a eyefinity demo
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 1:14pm
2560 x 1600 Crysis maxed, 25-35 FPS with 2 5870's add about 5-7 FPS for a third card, maybe with new drivers it will go up, but not more than 5-10 FPS
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 2:52pm
well if the third one adds only 10 fps that might not be worth it to you.

just go with 2 5870 and see how it turns out.

your room temps is good so I got nothing to add to your build really.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 3:12pm
for Crysis at max res/eye candy. I have only seen a couple reviews of tri-fire and Crysis, maybe driver limited, maybe CPU, only 4.2 Ghz i7. so 3rd card does not do alot on Crysis, some games is does scale well though.
 most all quadfire reviews I have seen seem to be CPU limited, need 12 thread support for games, and my sweet Gulftown to get here.Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 3:19pm
Yes Gulftown needs to be here already
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 3:29pm
for some they have been here for 6 months. lol Star
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 3:51pm
engineer samples maybe, but six month?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:03pm
yep, I posted some pics early this summer I think.. One was dual i9's  lol
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:13pm
I think I remember that
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 5:35pm
Gulftown make me happy in pants.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 10:47pm
ok thanks a lot DST4ME you 've been a great help

Everything the same minus

HDD: 1x veloci
GPU: 2x 5870

i know the gtx 295's are better... fps wise. if i got them would they limit the future games i can run due to dx10 and not dx11? or should i stay with the dx11 compatible GPU?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 12:46am
well yes the 295 give few more fps in some games, in some games the 5870 wins.

but in games that don't support sli, with a 295, you are getting a performance of a single 260 gtx while with the 5870 you are getting the full performance of the card, since unlike the 295 that is in internal sli, the 5870 is not in any internal cf.

and then there is the dx11.

don't forget that it has a lower power consumption, with 5870 you can do cf with a 750w psu, you can't do 2 x 295 with a 750w psu.

for those reasons the 5870 is the better card.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Nov 2009 at 12:47am
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 3:43am
12 thread support?
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 3:55am
oh snap... 6 cores 12 threads sweet! comes out 2nd quarter 2010, so i guess we will c it hit DS for the holidays...

http://www.techspot.com/news/35818-intels-enthusiastgrade-gulftown-cpu-previewed.html

has some pretty nifty information in it
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 3:57am
Ya its gonna be cool cpu
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 4:08am
so the 295 would not be the best pick, makes sense i forgot that it has 2x 260 in it... wow so choosign a 295 could greatly diminish the rig. i do play games that are not sli supported occasionaly.thanks for clearing that up.

i noticed that dx10 was around for the nvidia 8, 9, 200 series, but yet they couldn't get great frame rates until the 200 series. so dx11 may take several generations to get right as well... by the time that happens i'll prob be upgrading
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 5:50am
the 295's hardware is one of a 275, but its performance is one of a 260.

I still have not gotten my pc and I got 4 x 295 for folding, but I will probably upgrade summer 2010.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:56am
One note, Dx11 has allready proven to produce better image quality, and better frame rates than Dx10. Dx10 was a failure
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 12:45am
why would u need 4 gtx 295
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 1:27am
how come they don't use uv fluid in the new LC? Does the tubing in the new LC glow the color or is it just colored tube? i couldn't find info on DS about it. do you know what the difference is? is it me or does it look cheaper...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 2:07am
the tube is uv I believe, they use color tubes cause clear fluid last longer.

4 x 295 for folding

Folding is a worldwide distributed computing effort conducted by Stanford University to understand how proteins assemble themselves. The real world applications of this research includes potential cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's. Nearly everyone's life has been touched by someone who has had one of these diseases or one of the many other diseases this research is aiming to cure. For more information, please see Stanford's Folding@Home website.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>