FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New purchase

Post Date: 2022-11-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
r.pdreher View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote r.pdreher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New purchase
    Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 10:25pm
Config id=4532141

First time buyer of digital storm purchased and waiting
r.pdreher View Drop Down

Quote r.pdreher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 10:35pm
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (16-Core) 5.7 GHz Turbo (Codename Raphael)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X670-P (Wi-Fi) (AMD X670) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (DDR5)
System Memory: 64GB DDR5 5200MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
Power Supply: 1300W SilverStone ST1300-TI (Modular) (80 Plus Titanium)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4090 24GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Black - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Halo (RGB Fans) (Remote Control Only)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Software Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (1x Board)
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 12:19am
congrats that's 1 beast of a rig! 

some advice:  you don't need to pay them to oc your system.  honestly, they aren't going to sit around fine tuning it.  the hardware/software is pretty much self tuning these days anyway.  you can play around in the bios.  AMD basically has two modes: PBO and Manual OC.  they recommend PBO settings for "gamers".  seriously, it takes about 2 minutes. 

my other bit of advice is regarding their Hydrolux custom cooling.  i've always been a bit curious about what seems to be their 1 price fits all between the various cases they offer it in.  i personally own an Aventum III.  i know the Velox doesn't support anywhere near the radiator capacity of the Aventum, so is there a price difference?  i'd ask since you're having them build a very "high end" pc.  beyond the rad space/size/cooling power differences, the Aventum will use more fittings, tubing, etc.  

did you get a lead time on the build?  curious how long it's taking them to get their "custom high end" builds out to customers these days. 

i'm sure you'll enjoy being a new DS system owner, cheers!
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:28am
I'm thinking the price of the extra Aventum rads is in the price of the case, which is pretty extreme.

I'm the budget guy, so this kind of build doesn't call for much comment. i will throw out that the OS "boost" is considered a nothing burger here. It used to be RAM came in such small amounts that all the processes working in Windows would use more than necessary for other work. That's no longer an issue, especially with 32GB or more, so why spend the money? We have no idea what's "disabled and tweaked".   
r.pdreher View Drop Down

Quote r.pdreher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 2:13am
There was no budget for this just wanted top notch everything. As fr process it has been extremely slow.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 4:46am
Well, depending upon your use, that's a recipe to waste a lot of money for no gain. For instance, if you have no specific use for 64GB of RAM, you will have the second 32GB just sit there doing nothing.   
r.pdreher View Drop Down

Quote r.pdreher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Cretae

Well, depending upon your use, that's a recipe to waste a lot of money for no gain. For instance, if you have no specific use for 64GB of RAM, you will have the second 32GB just sit there doing nothing.   

I own and run an Indy Game Development Studio we bought two of these one for myself and one for my Co-founder.

Then we use a VDI with our servers at a DC fun stuff but yeah the pc will be put to good use with UE5 and Game Creation

Honestly not even sure is this is an upgrade to what I currently have lol

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by r.pdreher

I own and run an Indy Game Development Studio we bought two of these one for myself and one for my Co-founder.

Then we use a VDI with our servers at a DC fun stuff but yeah the pc will be put to good use with UE5 and Game Creation

completely different use cases.  that TR is a server and productivity proc prob more in line with your business needs than the 7950X. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
r.pdreher View Drop Down

Quote r.pdreher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by db188

completely different use cases.  that TR is a server and productivity proc prob more in line with your business needs than the 7950X. 

think you might be confused the TR is my current Personal Computer its going to the DC once this comes in. and the 7950x is perfect for development and just about anything else.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 3:56am
Purely a gamer, you're talking over my head. I can easily see you have use for all that power, so good rig. I hope it's everything you want!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 4:30am

Originally posted by db188

think you might be confused the TR is my current Personal Computer its going to the DC once this comes in. and the 7950x is perfect for development and just about anything else.
i was stating that the TR was a proc built for multi-core server oriented performance.  typical desktop workloads don't really require all of those cores.  you probably see 50%+ more speed in 64-Core speed applications over the 7950X.  that being said, the 7950X is much cheaper and faster in normal usage. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
r.pdreher View Drop Down

Quote r.pdreher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:40am
Ahh yes,

I understand what you stating now. Honestly, the thread ripper machine I have was built for UE5 and serves its purpose very very very well. however, with Fast build, Incredibuild, and CI pipelines in general my pc doesn't matter as it's all compiled server side anyway. Wanted something so that I can make small changes on my side and still be able to game on my downtime I think the 7950x will do that perfectly. What is your Opinion
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:24pm

Ahh yes,

I understand what you stating now. Honestly, the thread ripper machine I have was built for UE5 and serves its purpose very very very well. however, with Fast build, Incredibuild, and CI pipelines in general my pc doesn't matter as it's all compiled server side anyway. Wanted something so that I can make small changes on my side and still be able to game on my downtime I think the 7950x will do that perfectly. What is your Opinion
i think you've got it figured just fine.  i don't like AMD's prices right now, but i hope when it's my turn to build (after they launch their X3D line up on 7000 series) they'll have come down some in response to Intel's launch.  i like the power and thermals better with AMD, and of course the longer lifespan/growth with AM5.  i think you'll enjoy being a DS customer and wish you the best returns on your build.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:10pm
I echo my friend's best wishes.   
 Post Reply Post Reply