Post Date: 2015-11-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IRebel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IRebel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New rig, internet problems
    Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:31pm
I have internet connection, its just painfully slow. I've got the ASUS PCE-N53 duel band card but i cant get more than the a occasional 2 bars. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, updated the drivers manually and been googling it. I'm running windows 10 if that helps

Any help would be appreciated
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:57pm
Hi IRebel,

The ASUS PCE-N53 is a 802.11 n,b,g devise. The router you are operating with determines how fast your connection is going to be based on the 802.11 hierarchy. The fastest router operates within the 802.11ac. So the first thing you have to determine is what router you have and its 802.11 rating. If your router is a 802.11b router then your N53 will drop back to the 802.11b speeds and will be much slower than a 802.11n router.

If you are only getting two bars, which are signal strength, not speed, you may be too far from your router. Or there are two many walls between you and the router. If you have antennas on your router then you need to try and adjust them for better signal strength.    

I are going to guess you have an old router and need to upgrade. To better help you, let us know the router you have and its 802.11 rating.

Frank      

Edited by FrankW - 19 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm
IRebel View Drop Down

Quote IRebel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 7:27pm
One question, how does one find the 802.11 rating. My router is a Netgear CG3000DV2
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 12:20am
Hi IRebel,

Does your router look like the one in the picture? I think you have a N450 router/cable modem unit. Is your router provided by the local ISP? It would be 802.11n and only operates in the 2.4Gbps frequency.

A dual frequency 802.11ac router would operate in the 2.4Gbps and 5Gbps frequencies. The 5Gbps can give faster performance than the 2.4 but doesn't operate as well at long distance.

Before you change anything we need to know how far you are from your router and how many walls are you going through. Your best performance for gaming will be via hard wired instead of wireless. Have you turned your router in different directions to better aim the antennas toward your computer. I would try that first.

Frank

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 2:19am
If you cannot connect by wire (best) like FrankW says, once you upgrade your router, if you still have a low signal, you can get a signal booster and things will work fine. We have a few boosters and the whole house gets 5 bars. I have my pc hard wired. Strong

Edited by hoserator - 20 Nov 2015 at 2:20am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 2:34am
Just checking, but the antenna are attached?   Might sound like an insulting question, but it does happen.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:12am
Good point bprat22!

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply