New Rig to replace 10 year old DS unit

Post Date: 2020-07-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Rig to replace 10 year old DS unit
    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:45am
Budget:
[5 k +or-

Expectations:
[Faster, Cooler Running, and more stable then my present rig.AND maximum ability to upgrade (1440 36" monitor, sound card, etc.)

Usage:
Research, games, typewritten correspondence, streaming video, multitasking..

Special Needs: Very dusty atmosphere and 79 to 81 Fahrenheit ambient temps.

Saved Ticket #: 3271952
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10850K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: External USB Digital Media Card Reader <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs) <br><strong></strong>
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software (BACKORDERED ETA SEPTEMBER)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Specifications:
Ambient temps constant 79 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit, 1080 Monitor, much internet use.

I need to know how much trouble to add another graphics card, SLI and water cooled.

I've only had air cooled units in the past and need to know the maintenance involved with liquid cooling.

Does this configuration seem stable and will meet my needs? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 27 Jul 2020 at 2:25am
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:07pm
all of that to run on a single 1080p monitor?  that's way overkill.  or upgrade your monitor to 4k or something.  SLI is so disappointing to me.  yes, Aventum owner here on dual 980ti's all on water.  let me tell you what a colossal waste of money that was.  my next system will be a single card solution.  game developers are f**king lazy. i have none games that are optimized for multi gpu configs.  i'm lucky to get 10% usage out of the 2nd card and that's from games that claim to be optimized for SLI.  bunch of lies. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:53pm
I agree. You also may want to wait for the 3000-series of cards and get one of them instead of the SLI. I am happy with my 2080 Super, but we are very close to the next release and you can either go to the 3000-series or perhaps get a price drop on the 2000-series.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:08am

Thanks for the input. However, I did say maximum ability to upgrade and the SLI question was for future reference. I do appreciate the input about SLI being a waste. Good to know. The here and now were my questions about the compatibility of the build and would like some input about the components I chose. Better yet, another build with better options submitted by forum members would be great.

I need to wait until fall to order anyway. I changed part of the build already to avoid waiting for a parts back order. Immediately, another part I chose went on back order. I plan to finance with the New Jersey bunch and while I don't mind making a payment or two with nothing in hand while you build and test; I have no desire to make more payments for nothing because of back orders.

In fact, since all foreign aid to Hong Kong has stopped because of the mainland takeover; we may soon be in a trade war with the Pacific Rim countries. Parts may be scarce and cost more. A downside to waiting, I know but far outweighed by the uncertainties of world order in the fall. But I digress...

Did I choose the 5X faster SSD's with my build? I already have an i7 processor but have read in the forums that the that some of the i9's are slower so the newer i7's are better for games? My present rig is having stutter, freeze ups, crashes, and generally unpredictable behaviour and I mainly want a stable cool running rig for games and streaming. The aventum may well be overkill but I want room for any future upgrades... power supply overhead, plenty of case room for my hands to work etc., etc. Multi tasking is needed for streaming video while running other apps.

Thanks for any help you can give..JTR

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 26 Jul 2020 at 1:58am
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:26am
SLI has been replaced with charging about double for single cards that are faster than any SLI ever was.

NVMe M.2 is the faster tech, but the PROs are easily just as good, and actually sell for more than the PLUS online. Still a mystery why DS sells them cheaper, but it's not performance.

I would get the i7 10700K. You will see no difference at all, and it will last easily as long. The extra cores are meaningless.

You need to decide what resolution you want going forward. IMO, 4K is a total waste of $$. In 27-34" you're not going to see a difference from 2K (1440p). The new cards coming, the 3070 equivalent will be as good or better than a 2080 SUPER, and cheaper.

An 850W PSU in that rig will have at least 300W of overhead. Don't know why you might need 1200W. Most likely everything you buy from here will draw less power, not more.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:00am
Incorporating some of the suggested changes, I came up with this build. It seems to get the monster case and the features I want is going to cost around 5K

My latest build is:

Configuration Code: 3274113
Total Price with Instant Savings: $5,100.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3274113

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K (5.1 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.8 GHz <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software (BACKORDERED ETA SEPTEMBER)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I also have a few questions if somebody can answer them; thanks in advance.
   Build Questions (3274113)

1. What maintenance is required with the CPU and one GPU liquid cooling?
2. Does the Aventum case contain an optical drive for DVD/CD Write/ Read ?
3. The only blue ray you offer is an external unit, correct?
4. The only repair on my 10 year old DS-PC was replacement of a Haf case fan. With the liquid cooling are the Aventum case fans easily replaceable?
5. Do the intake fans come with a washable filter?
6. Are the radiator fans for liquid cooling contained in the case or is the radiator mounted on the outside of the case?
7. Will the USB recovery unit have Win 10 pro if I order Win 10 pro for the OS?
8. Does my 3 year warranty begin when I receive the computer of when I order the computer?
9. What is the difference between the 10 dollar factory raid settings and the raid cards?
10. Having no experience whatsoever with raid settings; if set at raid 0 will one SSD still work if the other fails or must you remove the raid setting when using the remaining drive? If the latter, can the factory raid setting be removed by owner? Do the raid cards allow the user to set different raid settings?
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:12pm
raid 0 offers no data protection and is just a performance config.  raid 1 provides data protection/redundancy but cuts your storage capacity in half.  raid 10 is more popular than raid 5 and 6 due to the large numbers of disk write operations with 5 and 6.  raid 10 uses raid stripe (128 or 256kb) and mirroring but you need a minimum of 4 SSD's.  storage efficiency is low (50%). 

personally, i see no real value in raiding SSD (especially NVMe drives).  they're plenty fast and reliable.  just back up your data frequently. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:19pm
You might also consider the Corsair ML or LL fans. Beautiful light show with the free iCUE software. If noise levels are a consideration, the ML (magnetic levitation) fans that I have are virtually silent.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:45am
Originally posted by db188

raid 0 offers no data protection and is just a performance config.  raid 1 provides data protection/redundancy but cuts your storage capacity in half.  raid 10 is more popular than raid 5 and 6 due to the large numbers of disk write operations with 5 and 6.  raid 10 uses raid stripe (128 or 256kb) and mirroring but you need a minimum of 4 SSD's.  storage efficiency is low (50%). 
personally, i see no real value in raiding SSD (especially NVMe drives).  they're plenty fast and reliable.  just back up your data frequently. 

I was trying to achieve 2T storage without jumping from one ssd to another. Perhaps I don't understand how the ssd's are accessed. My present rig has an ssd with os and games on it and my other storage is the WD 500 Gig that came with the build. To move from one storage to another requires going to Windows Explorer and accessing the 500 gig; then the same to move back to the ssd. I don't care about backup.

If the 10 dollar raid is permanent, then are the raid cards the same? I was under the impression you could choose which raid to use with the card and could be changed when the situation called for it.
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Bob100

You might also consider the Corsair ML or LL fans. Beautiful light show with the free iCUE software. If noise levels are a consideration, the ML (magnetic levitation) fans that I have are virtually silent.

If only I could afford the best of everything I would would get the magnetic levitation fans. I would also get ssd's with more terabytes, a 1440 monitor, etc., etc. The Corsair light show is bling imho, and not necessary for me.

Does anyone have experience with the stock case fans and their reliability? My HAF air cooled unit was no problem with fan replacement; but with liquid cooling??

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 27 Jul 2020 at 2:04am
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:48am
There's no real need to have two NVMe SSDs. Most people have a games library and photos and music, etc. on their supplemental drive(s). Steam, if you use it, will let you start a game no matter where you store it. My Games are on an HDD I migrated over from my last rig and a 1TB SATA SSD. I have an Origin library on my NVMe primary drive. The desktop icon automatically loads the game from wherever. Any SSD is plenty fast when loading games. To actually switch from one drive to another, you simply click on the file folder on your taskbar in Win 10, and it brings up all your drives. Just click on the one you want. A raid array is totally unnecessary complexity for very little gain in your case.

Stock case fans are fine. they don't fail often, and if one does, they are easy to access in the cavernous Aventum. Just look at the pictures.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Cretae

There's no real need to have two NVMe SSDs. Most people have a games library and photos and music, etc. on their supplemental drive(s). Steam, if you use it, will let you start a game no matter where you store it. My Games are on an HDD I migrated over from my last rig and a 1TB SATA SSD. I have an Origin library on my NVMe primary drive. The desktop icon automatically loads the game from wherever. Any SSD is plenty fast when loading games. To actually switch from one drive to another, you simply click on the file folder on your taskbar in Win 10, and it brings up all your drives. Just click on the one you want. A raid array is totally unnecessary complexity for very little gain in your case.

Stock case fans are fine. they don't fail often, and if one does, they are easy to access in the cavernous Aventum. Just look at the pictures.

Thanks to everybody who provided input and especially Cretae for his advice. I will drop the raid array and some of the overkill. Now I must wait until autumn to see what's what with the new hardware.
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:39am
Originally posted by jaypeetee44

Originally posted by db188

I was trying to achieve 2T storage without jumping from one ssd to another. Perhaps I don't understand how the ssd's are accessed. My present rig has an ssd with os and games on it and my other storage is the WD 500 Gig that came with the build. To move from one storage to another requires going to Windows Explorer and accessing the 500 gig; then the same to move back to the ssd. I don't care about backup.

If the 10 dollar raid is permanent, then are the raid cards the same? I was under the impression you could choose which raid to use with the card and could be changed when the situation called for it.

RAID 0 is ideal for non-critical storage of data that have to be read/written at a high speed, such as on an image retouching or video editing station.

If you want to use RAID 0 purely to combine the storage capacity of multiple drives in a single volume, consider mounting one drive in the folder path of the other drive. This is supported in Linux, OS X as well as Windows and has the advantage that a single drive failure has no impact on the data of the second disk or SSD drive.

here's an link with steps on creating a mount point for both empty/new drives and those with data already on them>https://www.windowscentral.com/how-mount-hard-drive-folder-windows-10

Edited by db188 - 28 Jul 2020 at 2:04am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:26pm
db188,

Thanks so much for the info. It never occurred to me to do that but it makes perfect sense. That's what makes these forums so great...like minded people helping each other. Thanks again, JMT
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Post Reply Post Reply