New Rig to replace 12 year old DS unit

Post Date: 2021-06-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Rig to replace 12 year old DS unit
    Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 3:02pm
Budget:
[Variable]

Expectations:
[JOY]

Usage:
[Internet Research,Streaming Movies and Series, Games]

Special Needs:
[Games at Ultra, VR Ready, Streaming Without Lag]

Saved Ticket #: id=[3927892]

Specifications: I want a lot of storage so I don't need to delete games in order to load another. I expect to upgrade my monitor in the future and want the power to handle high resolution. I've had only air cooled and have experienced overheating; hence the need for water cooling. I'm not a big fan of internet only and want to play the games I have on disc, etc. I would appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions about this build. Thanks.
[?]

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 03 Jun 2021 at 2:12am
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 1:43am
Welcome back. Awesome

I am not one of the configurators and they will give you way more detailed explanations and suggestions..

It appears, however, that your build is one tech cycle behind.
Intel's 11xxx cpus are Gen 4 (Z590 chipset for mobo), your pick is Gen 3, the Storage Set 1 is also Gen 3 and a bit large IMO. And Storage Set 2 is overkill.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 1:54am
Originally posted by hoserator

Welcome back. Awesome
 I am not one of the configurators and they will give you way more detailed explanations and suggestions..
It appears, however, that your build is one tech cycle behind.
Intel's 11xxx cpus are Gen 4 (Z590 chipset for mobo), your pick is Gen 3, the Storage Set 1 is also Gen 3 and a bit large IMO. And Storage Set 2 is overkill.

Thanks for the info...so what is gen 4 storage? I have a 1 tb storage now and to run Red Dead Redemption 2 I had to delete some games and unload others on Steam; I don't want to run out of quick access storage again; hence the storage overkill.

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 03 Jun 2021 at 2:00am
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 2:00am
Hi,

that would be the Samsung's 980 series instead of 970 or the FireCudas 520 series.

Gen 4 doubles the bandwith! Increases speed which you want.

Edited by hoserator - 03 Jun 2021 at 2:05am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 2:25am
Originally posted by hoserator

Hi,
that would be the Samsung's 980 series instead of 970 or the FireCudas 520 series.
Gen 4 doubles the bandwith! Increases speed which you want.

Please see if this is better [3927191] at roughly $400 more.Also the double bandwidth should be better for streaming?

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 03 Jun 2021 at 2:33am
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 5:07am
One of us is confused, and I'm not sure it's me. The second config # you posted is NOT an update, and it's not more $$. Some things are not quite correct as the Configurator is showing right now. for instance, the price on the 3080 seems incorrect, and the Samsung 2 TB 970 NVMe is currently in backorder.

Back to square one. The CPU you keep choosing is PCIe Generation 3. The 11700K is Gen 4, and even though cheaper, is still faster. It would seem what you want at your budget is the 11900K, though. Please remember what Mr. hoserator said: "Gen 4 doubles the bandwith! Increases speed which you want."
Of course double the bandwidth will be better for streaming.

I get that you want a lot of storage, but your primary drive is where you want PCIe GEN 4 speed for Windows and all your other software. Be sure to use Windows to partition that huge drive when you get it, so Windows and other software is on a much smaller virtual drive (about 200GB should do). That way, if Windows has to be refreshed, you don't have to wipe out 2TB. All your system scans will be done much faster on a small partition. You don't need to scan your games if they come from a trusted source.

Games must load in a certain way that slows the transfer a bit, so I recommend you go back to the less expensive Samsung 2TB 970 EVO for Storage Set 2. That is really fast for storing/loading games and saves $156. You will never know the difference, so why waste the money?

The Aventum has a ton of fans throughout (14!), and an all-in one cooler is just fine for your CPU. I never recommend custom loop cooling. If you like things that can leak, and things you have to maintain regularly, and things that cost a ton just to get a few unneeded degrees less heat, be my guest. I have to say it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

One more thing you might think about. You don't need a 3080 now, but you think you may want one in the future. Do you realize you are about to spend about $1450 for a $700 MSRP card? Maybe you get the card you NEED now (3070 is great for 1440p), and when prices get less than insane, you can upgrade. That strategy might even get you all the way to the next generation, and a much better selection at reasonable prices. Just a thought.

Here's my concept:

3927943    $4966 because I threw in some fancy fans just for fun.

This is not an argument, just my opinions. If you still want what you want, I'm not standing in the way. Just be sure to get a 11900K for PCIe GEN 4, and partition that C drive!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Cretae

One of us is confused, and I'm not sure it's me. The second config # you posted is NOT an update, and it's not more $$. Some things are not quite correct as the Configurator is showing right now. for instance, the price on the 3080 seems incorrect, and the Samsung 2 TB 970 NVMe is currently in backorder.

Back to square one. The CPU you keep choosing is PCIe Generation 3. The 11700K is Gen 4, and even though cheaper, is still faster. It would seem what you want at your budget is the 11900K, though. Please remember what Mr. hoserator said: "Gen 4 doubles the bandwith! Increases speed which you want."
Of course double the bandwidth will be better for streaming.

I get that you want a lot of storage, but your primary drive is where you want PCIe GEN 4 speed for Windows and all your other software. Be sure to use Windows to partition that huge drive when you get it, so Windows and other software is on a much smaller virtual drive (about 200GB should do). That way, if Windows has to be refreshed, you don't have to wipe out 2TB. All your system scans will be done much faster on a small partition. You don't need to scan your games if they come from a trusted source.

Games must load in a certain way that slows the transfer a bit, so I recommend you go back to the less expensive Samsung 2TB 970 EVO for Storage Set 2. That is really fast for storing/loading games and saves $156. You will never know the difference, so why waste the money?

The Aventum has a ton of fans throughout (14!), and an all-in one cooler is just fine for your CPU. I never recommend custom loop cooling. If you like things that can leak, and things you have to maintain regularly, and things that cost a ton just to get a few unneeded degrees less heat, be my guest. I have to say it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

One more thing you might think about. You don't need a 3080 now, but you think you may want one in the future. Do you realize you are about to spend about $1450 for a $700 MSRP card? Maybe you get the card you NEED now (3070 is great for 1440p), and when prices get less than insane, you can upgrade. That strategy might even get you all the way to the next generation, and a much better selection at reasonable prices. Just a thought.

Here's my concept:

3927943    $4966 because I threw in some fancy fans just for fun.

This is not an argument, just my opinions. If you still want what you want, I'm not standing in the way. Just be sure to get a 11900K for PCIe GEN 4, and partition that C drive!

Hi Cretae, you helped with my present computer; although it's been substantially upgraded from the factory order. Obviously, I am the confused one.
   You make some very good points and some things were included by my mistake. I did not realize that the storage I listed was out of stock and that I forgot to upgrade my my CPU ....my bad.

I opted for the 1TB drives for first and second storage at a special of -$219 each. If I need more can upgrade then.

I also upgraded the processor and took your advice on liquid cooling. I too have heard horror stories about liquid cooling so I opted for the closed system. My GeForce unit always runs hotter than my CPU though.

I also chose the 3070 and will wait and see what the future brings in the way of graphics.

Now my confusion/questions:

Is the exotic wiring management that much better than the -$ 69 premium?

I have a digital camera and want a card reader. I didn't see a built in optical drive and I have many games on disc.

Why delete the air flow controller? Doesn't it give you better control of the fans?

I have replaced fans in my HAF case and I can do that on the Aventum many times for the $ 500.00 cost of the Cooler Master fans. I know you included them just for fun and this is my take on the idea.

I have never regretted getting Win7 Pro over home so I'll also do so with Win 10.

I really appreciate the help/suggestions and would really like your feedback on my new build [3929293] and of course this is not an argument; never thought it was.

So could you or someone please critique this latest build?

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 04 Jun 2021 at 4:06am
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:39am
Sorry, was out of town.

I believe I put the wiring upgrade in because you had it in your config. It is no better, just colorful.

Modern case don't often include slots for optical drives, so DS only offers external. They no longer offer card readers.

The air flow controller was deleted because it was incompatible with the CoolerMaster fans. If you're not getting them, go ahead and get one of those.

I think your build 3929293 is excellent!
 Post Reply Post Reply