Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: new setup
    Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 1:32am

posted my ideas on here a while ago, for various reasons im trying again, let me know what you think

*im not interested in a sound card

dual boot with my copy of xp

==============================
1) do i need stage 2 cooling for this?

2) when the processor gets its OC, is the ram auto-tweaked to match? or do i need to add the 45 for that?

3) the OS tweak cost, im guessing that it is applied twice for dual boot systems?

4) ANY questions/comments/advice
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 1:46am
The 8800GTS 512MB is $170 less and performs to about the same level. I'd probably go with that over the GTX at this point.

I guess, I would be tempted to put the money saved on the GPU into a better case for cooling. $170 is the better part of an upgrade to the Ultra.

The RAM selection is nice, but honestly, for overclocking the Q6600, you will be fine with good quality PC6400. I see that as another place to save some money to get more performance out of the rig.

I adjusted a few things, looking for ways to get more performance for the same or less $$$.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 03 Jan 2008 at 1:48am
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 1:48am
Don't know what you mean tweaking ram to match the processor. If you mean having it linked... just get 667mhz or 800mhz ram. No point in spending so much money on ram to get it underclocked by 200mhz.

Edited by skyR - 03 Jan 2008 at 1:49am
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 2:09am
Tyler: could you define "about the same level"... i must say the comparing i did on Nvidia's site showed the GTX as a strong competitor to the ULTRA,(seemed to me that the bandwidth on the gtx made a huge differece and crushed the 8800 gt512, that i have right now) i dont remember seeing your choice(ill look more extensively later but right now im about to pass out)

*edit* http://www.nvidia.com/HelpMeChoose/compare.aspx?pids=12,18,11&lang=en-us looks to me like the gtx spanks the others like a red headed ... you know
and as far as re-allocating the cost, id much prefer the 200 into a card, that system with only OC'd processor should be fine in a lite case, mine runs at about 93f with oc vid card, ram, processor...
(btw im not trying to argue im just discussing becuase i dont know as much as you all do about this stuff)

ram: how significant of a difference would the 800mhz vs 1066 be, i mean why the price difference if its so marginal?

and why raid set up, woudlnt that decrease my space to 160gb total? what makes raid set up so attractive, thats one thing that ive NEVER reasearched. i dont get what its supposed to do

sky: a while ago when i was using some various other forums to bounce ideas, i ran across some posts about how tweaking your ram to match your processor after overclocking it was significantly important, personally im a software guy, im scared to death of hardware
the idea i had was that you get a processor OC, then a 1066 speed ram, and drop the speed which will fix the ram's latency and make for a quicker set up...
no, i dont know exactly what im talking about lol, thats why im asking

oh and did i mention how much i love you two, i think its so amazing that you spend so much time helping lost people like me on here <3!

Edited by !ender_ - 03 Jan 2008 at 3:00am
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 6:04am

The link you provided shows the GTS 640mb not the new GTS 512 which is what is almost as powerful as the GTX.

Also higher specifications don't always mean much when it comes to FPS, consider how much more powerful(spec wise) ATI cards are compared to Nvidia but then again ATI still hasn't figured out how to make decent drivers.

Edited by sundowner - 03 Jan 2008 at 6:06am
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 9:25am
The 8800GTS (G92) is a much different card performance wise than the 8800GTS (G80). The 512MB card I selected is the newer more powerful GPU.

You can find reviews on it:

The card is a beast of a performer for the price, running neck and neck with the GTX.

Raid 0 using 2*160GB HDD's will give you similar speed performance to running a single Raptor, and will still leave you with 320GB of space. The downside is there are two mechanical drives that can fail. If you want to know in detail how this works, there's an article here:

The cooling in the Ultra case is upgradeable, should you find yourself installing further sources of heat. In selecting that case, I looked at how well it would serve you now, and how well it will serve you down the stretch. If you're happy enough with less expensive Lite, that's a place to save further. I do, however think you wouldn't be sorry having the additional cooling available for your Mobo and GPU's. I would probably have them toss on a couple of additional fans from the get go, since it's cheap, and someone else gets to deal with running the power to them.

RAM: Without getting overly complex, the Q6600 isn't going to bottleneck on 800MHz RAM. There's no real reason you need to go higher for that CPU. Overclocking used to be far more reliant on RAM speed, and you actually *needed* higher clocked RAM to overclock. You don't need this any longer for an Intel chip. It can help, a little, if you want to run linked, but you're not talking a significant difference, and outside of memory bandwidth benchmarks, you will not see any difference at all.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 03 Jan 2008 at 9:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply