FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Spire thermax eclipse 2 review

Post Date: 2010-03-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AndydViking View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Spire thermax eclipse 2 review
    Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 12:38am
Are Rodney's temps to good to be true?

Edited by AndydViking - 25 Mar 2010 at 12:38am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 11:46am
reviews like that are all crap.. he never states what he is using to measure temps, never states what he used to put the CPU under load, never stated ambient temps, never stated if this was on a test bench or in a case.. ect.. Your temps will Vary +-50C Smile
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 12:34pm
Interesting to see 4.0GHz at 1.3v though. Is that normally possible with many 920s?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 12:36pm

yep

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 1:13am
I'm pretty sure that he tests his stuff on a test bed of sorts which would be on a cooler master 840 motherboard tray outside it's case.

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 3:47pm
I just posted thisbecause I think the cooler has good looks but I thought it performed maybe "too good" for a cooler of that design.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 4:01pm
Like I posted earlier in the post, there is no way to tell any level of performance with such a crappy review, he would have been just as close by wrapping it in tinfoil and having the aliens flash the temps onto his forehead, and post that..the numbers are accurate like I said within + or - 50C Smile

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

Like I posted earlier in the post, there is no way to tell any level of performance with such a crappy review, he would have been just as close by wrapping it in tinfoil and having the aliens flash the temps onto his forehead, and post that..the numbers are accurate like I said within + or - 50C Smile
Lol I hear ya.  Does that company put out any other CPU coolers of interest?

Hey Justin here is 2 question for you...I was thinking of putting the Noctua 140mm fan on my nh-u12p cooler do you thik this is worth it?

Also, I was interested in overclocking my system to a mild 3.3-3.6 or so.  Wold you be willing to help me?  If you have the time I will post my specs in overclocing section.  I know it's mild I just wanna have my temp and voltages the best they can be.  I am running stock right now.

Edited by AndydViking - 26 Mar 2010 at 6:29pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 8:02pm

I would not change the fans on the cooler, you have one or two fans now? if one then ad a second 120mm.

yep, I can help you OC it.

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 11:08pm
Thanks Justin.  I am running only 1 fan at the present but I have my second ready to put on.  I am still debating weather I wanna buy that lamptron fan controller.  I'm gonna mull that over the weekend + install the other 120 and later this week I will post the template with my info in the overclocking section.  Thanks!

Also, what are your favorite case fans (I think you said gently typhoons right?)?  I wanna go for quiet too with this system.  I was also thinking of maybe just putting the top two 230mm fan on a 7 volt resistor and the 1hdd fan and my bottom fan on a 5 volt (my case is the cooler master 840)?  Think that OK or should just go fan controller?  Thanks!

Edited by AndydViking - 26 Mar 2010 at 11:11pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 1:48pm
Gentle Typhoons are great for radiators, but I would not use them for case fans.
you don't need any resistors for 5V or 7V, it is righ there on the Molex, i can show you how if you need help.

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 4:12pm

I had the resistors left over from my noctua fan and would be real easy.  Are you referring to switching yellow and red wires?

I have a question about bios updates.  On my EVGA 3x sli I updated my bios to the latest and it seems to have fixed some issues for me with my graphics card.  I suppose it could be coincidence but who knows.  Bios update seemed successful however I get a slight jitter of my Windows 7 logo animation.  Some people on the forums didn't like the bios 49 but in every other way it seems to run better for me. 

This prolly isnt an issue but I don't know and didnt notice this before.

here is a video of my "jittering" 29 seconds in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFxEtevvE4

EDIT:  Justin I've decided not to overclock for now.  I flashed back to a slightly earlier bios version after seeing some stuff on the EVGA forums and calling tech support.  Things seem to be slightly better so I am going to leave well enough alone.  Also, I tried dummy overlclock and settings to get a 3.3 and it really didn't do much for me and what I actually do on this PC.  I really appreciate you being willing to help me.  Thanks!

Edited by AndydViking - 30 Mar 2010 at 1:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply