FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New system arrived today/overclocked correctly?

Post Date: 2016-12-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Atrus00 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Atrus00 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New system arrived today/overclocked correctly?
    Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 6:08pm
Hello all, my name is Mike and a few hours ago I received my second Digital Storm PC (the first one I bought was in 2010). I've got a question about my Stage 1 overclocking and whether or not everything was setup properly. I admit flat out that I really don't know much of anything about overclocking, which is why I have the Digital Storm guys do it for me.

So, my new system has a Core i7 6850K, which has a standard clock speed of 3.6GHz. However, when I go into my system info screen, it's showing my clock speed at only 3.3GHz. Additionally, when I go into the performance tab of task manager, it's also showing a maximum CPU speed of 3.3GHz.

On my previous rig I had a Core i7 980X that the Digital Storm guys overclocked for me from 3.33GHz to 3.97GHz, and in both the system screen and task manager it would reflect the overlocked speed. It would come up looking something like "Intel Corei7-980X CPU @ 3.33GHz 3.97 GHz" with the default clock speed first and then the actual clock speed. The new one reads "Intel Core i7-6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.30GHz."

As I said, I only just received the computer today, and all I've done in that time is install things like Chrome, Steam, update the video drivers, etc. I have not gone into the BIOS or changed anything that would affect the CPU speed to the best of my knowledge.

Does something appear to be wrong here, or is the only issue my own ignorance? I would be happy to post any screenshots or provide any other info requested.

Thanks!

Edited by Atrus00 - 14 Dec 2016 at 6:09pm
bfiallos View Drop Down

Quote bfiallos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 11:50pm
hey man I actually had the same question regarding this mine arrived yesterday and I am new to this also. So how exactly does the overclock work mines is stage one like yours. How do you know if your cpu is overclocking ?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 2:36am
The overclock kicks in under load, like in gaming for example. Download and run CPUZ , leave it open, run a game and the overclock will show in the lower left corner of CPUZ in mhz, so a stage 1 overclock might read4100mhz for a 4.1 ghz overclock.

The lower reads are the CPU at idle .    Hope this helps.

Atrus00 View Drop Down

Quote Atrus00 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 10:51am
Originally posted by bprat22

The overclock kicks in under load, like in gaming for example. Download and run CPUZ , leave it open, run a game and the overclock will show in the lower left corner of CPUZ in mhz, so a stage 1 overclock might read4100mhz for a 4.1 ghz overclock.

The lower reads are the CPU at idle .    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I was just confused because, as I mentioned, my previous rig DOES list the overclock speed on the System screen and under Task Manager even while the CPU is idle, while the new PC lists 3.3GHz as the "maximum" clock speed, even though that is lower than the factory default clock speed of 3.6GHz for the 6850K.

I see what you mean about CPU-Z, but that seems to show the current clock speed at the time rather than what the maximum is, which Windows is showing as 3.3GHz.

Edited by Atrus00 - 15 Dec 2016 at 10:56am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:12am
CPU Z shows the current clock.  Correct. 

Task Manager has never been a reliable check.  It does work for some, my rig as an example displaying base and oc correctly with Task manager, but so many others get bad info. 

Yep, your chip is base 3.6 and the reading of 3.3 is normal, even lower being good info.  My 2500k is base 3.3 but reads at 1.65 at times of idle. 

CPUZ matches what Task Manager displays for my chip.   Not the same for everyone and I can't explain it, it just is.  Big%20Smile   

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Dec 2016 at 11:15am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:41am
So the Intel Core i7 6850k has a base clock speed of 3.6Ghz with a max Turbo boost of 3.8Ghz.

As bprat said, you'll want to run CPU Z on like a second monitor then run either a game or download a program like Cinebench (which is a CPU benchmarking program). A game might not push it to it's new max overclocked setting (depending on the game). Cinebench will.

What I like to do on my personal CPU is the following:

Go to Power Options - Click Change Plan Settings next to the power option that is selected.

Change Advanced Power Settings

Processor Power Management > Minimum Processor State > Set to 5%

Maximum Processor State > Set to 100%

What this will do for you is at complete Idle, your cpu will drop as low as 5% of it's max speed/power. Then under load it'll go as high as 100% (which is what your overclock is set to... so if your OC is 4.4Ghz, then 100% means it's allowed to hit 4.4ghz).

I only bring this up because it'll keep your cpu power draw down, keep it cooler under low loads, but it will also be reporting as running at like 1Ghz or less when you're literally doing nothing. I just don't want you to fear something is wrong when you see it sitting at such a low clock speed.

This will also extend the life of your CPU. Now DS may have already done this for you, I'm not sure.. but it's what I'd do.

So recap:

Download CPU-Z

Run CPU-Z while you have a game loaded or while you run Cinebench to verify it's hitting it's OC.

Go into Power options and adjust your min and max settings (usually max will always be 100%, but sometimes min is 100%).

WHich, before I forget... I don't know why I didn't think of this before. If you go straight to your power settings and set your min to 100% also... it'll go to whatever it's overclocked too and stay there. Which is another way to verify the current OC clock speed without running multiple programs (a nice easy way to verify if you only have one monitor).

Sorry, I ramble. Enjoy!
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Atrus00 View Drop Down

Quote Atrus00 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 5:01pm
Meller, thanks so much man. I went into power management and set the minimum to 100% and my clock speed kicked right up to over 4.1 GHz. That makes me feel a lot better. I just wonder why Windows wasn't showing it correctly, but I guess as bpratt22 said, sometimes Windows just doesn't display it correctly.

After 24 hours of having this machine I have to say it is a total beast. Another great Digital Storm PC that I hope to have for several years. Well worth the money.

Thanks again!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 2:48am
There's always a lot of posts of recent customers not sure if DS overclocked and wish to check.    Double checking others work is always a good thing, but in my years here, I can't remember one time DS forgot the ocerclock.   It can reset in Bios, however, for numerous reasons, but DS does store it in Bios for reloading.

Jut an FYI.   
pharmx View Drop Down

Quote pharmx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 8:05am
Is there not a simple way to check what the system is overclocked to in Windows?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 8:16am
Originally posted by pharmx

Is there not a simple way to check what the system is overclocked to in Windows?

No reliable way that I know.   CPUZ is a simple check and recommended by pretty much everyone, tech sites and all.

Big%20Smile
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:03pm
Well if you have Windows 10. You can do the power management trick where you set the minimum cpu power to 100%. Then go into Task Manager, and you can view what it's boosting too. If you're only looking at your Computer Properties, it'll only show the base system clock speed that it comes with stock.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply