FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New System Suggestion

Post Date: 2021-01-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tamakin View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tamakin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New System Suggestion
    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 8:05am
Budget:$2500
[Please Type Here]

Expectations: I mostly play MMO games. I do not stream and I use a second monitor for basic use.
[Please Type Here]

Usage:I am looking for a system that can play MMO's well. Games like Final Fantasy 14, Star Citizen and Cyberpunk 2077. I am more of a casual gamer and just want my games to run smooth.
[Please Type Here]

Special Needs: I do like my system to be more on the quiet side and I do have a cat so fur tends to get around. The system is placed on the floor.

Specifications: Here is what I put together so far.

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Thanks!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 1:19am
Welcome to DS.
The real gurus will be around but I can tell you that Storage Set 1 should be an Nvme which interacts trough the Pcie instead of SATA and is way faster for boot ups. The M.2 is only a form factor for physical size.
Good luck.
Smile

tamakin View Drop Down

Quote tamakin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 2:47am
Thanks for the info. I am not to familiar with SSD drives.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 4:17am
Well, here you go:

3706791     $2486.

You will never need, nor benefit from 12 cores in any way for casual gaming. I'd rather see you get a better, potentially longer-lived motherboard with the money saved. The 3800X is the best choice for your use and budget. With the MSI gaming Pro Carbon, I believe you will be well-positioned to upgrade to a 5000 series CPU should the need ever arise. For gaming, the 3800x and the 3900X are almost identical performance.

The RAM upgrade is almost a steal at these prices, so...yes. The 850W PSU is also a very good bargain and will give you all the overhead you will ever need in this system.

The Seagate Firecuda for your primary OS drive will jet propel everything you do from that drive for life. It's a must have game-changer that reads up to 10 times faster than the DS SATA drive, and writes up to 5 times faster.

Since you don't tell us what your monitor is, I take your word for the 5700XT being good. Excellent budget fit for all 1080p gaming, and capable of reaching decent levels at 1440p resolutions with a little tweaking in some games. If you wish for high performance at 1440p, you will want to save up for an upgrade down the line.

I always throw in the Internal Lighting because it's free. If you don't like it, you can turn it off completely or select a single color.
tamakin View Drop Down

Quote tamakin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 5:52am
Thanks for the reply. I never really gave the monitor much thought. It is a 1080p monitor, but I don't think it goes to 1440p. Something to think about later. I like the idea of longer-lived motherboard.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 4:28am
You're welcome.

A 1080p monitor displays a maximum of 1920by1080 pixels on its screen. As said, the 5700XT is a very good card for fast response at 1080p.

1440p is 2560by1440 pixels, which is around 75% more per screen draw. It requires quite a bit more power and expense to drive.
jdr.lzv View Drop Down

Quote jdr.lzv Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:55am
Well, here you go:

3706791     $2486.

Hi, I liked your advice to the poster, but I don't understand the number "3706791".
I assume that is some sort of configuration for the system you described.
However, there does not appear to be a search feature for the DigitalStorm website.
So how do I access this configuration?

I'm looking for the best configuration for around 2,500 to 3,000.  I am about to retire from a job as a scientist (lots of data analysis) and will be continuing some things in retirement.  I've never played computer games, but I'm thinking I might give them a shot now that I have more free time.  I'd like a computer that would do both very well.  Also, I'm willing to spend a little more now and not have to replace the computer for 5+ years (or more).

At work I've had three "company" digital storm computers.  They have all been pretty good, although one of them was way too noisy. I definitely like a quite computer.
So:
1. Gaming (Modern) and Data Analysis (mostly statistical)
2. Quite (maximally quite)
3. Up to about $3,000
Thanks,
Jeff

Edited by jdr.lzv - 09 Jan 2021 at 5:57am
tamakin View Drop Down

Quote tamakin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 6:24am
Hi Jeff, I could not find that either so I did a google search for it and found the page to enter the config number. Here it is!
https://www.digitalstorm.com/load-configuration.asp

*edit* and now that I am looking at the page again, the Load Config link is right next to the shopping cart. *face palms*

Edited by tamakin - 09 Jan 2021 at 6:26am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 4:38am
Originally posted by jdr.lzv

Well, here you go:

3706791     $2486.

Hi, I liked your advice to the poster, but I don't understand the number "3706791".
I assume that is some sort of configuration for the system you described.
However, there does not appear to be a search feature for the DigitalStorm website.
So how do I access this configuration?
I'm looking for the best configuration for around 2,500 to 3,000.  I am about to retire from a job as a scientist (lots of data analysis) and will be continuing some things in retirement.  I've never played computer games, but I'm thinking I might give them a shot now that I have more free time.  I'd like a computer that would do both very well.  Also, I'm willing to spend a little more now and not have to replace the computer for 5+ years (or more).
At work I've had three "company" digital storm computers.  They have all been pretty good, although one of them was way too noisy. I definitely like a quite computer.
So:
1. Gaming (Modern) and Data Analysis (mostly statistical)
2. Quite (maximally quite)
3. Up to about $3,000
Thanks,
Jeff

Digital Storm main page, upper right, "Load Config"

You are going to have to give me more info to go on than just what you've said. There is a severe shortage of all the best core parts, and I can't decide for you what you'd be willing to wait for. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but statistical analysis is pretty much an elementary task for any modern CPU, so now we're talking mainly gaming? That will be centered on what monitor resolution you want to drive.

Seems to me rudimentary number crunching and beginning gaming means 8 cores/16 threads, but you would know better than I.

Every DS computer I've ever had, and almost all I've ever heard about are just fine for well over 5 years of trusty service.

I'm inclined toward a Ryzen 3000 series CPU if I'm correct about the workload. They are available without an excruciating wait, and perform nicely. A solid mobo like the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon can give you solid performance for a few years, and then accept a 5000 series CPU as a no-trouble "plug and play" upgrade if you needed. But for gaming, everything depends upon the GPU, and what cost that brings to the build determines everything else.
 Post Reply Post Reply