FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New system..what do you think ?

Post Date: 2007-09-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Celedhring View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Celedhring Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New system..what do you think ?
    Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 12:16am
I had a specific budget to work with while replacing my AGP system..this is what I came up with.

I decided to go with 7900 over the 8600 because DirectX 10 isn't gonna be mainstream for a while yet which gives me time to upgrade later.

One thing I'm not sure about is the temperature range for the 7900 video card since my present 7800GS AGP card only runs at 39C at idle with stock cooling as I generally like to have my systems as cool as possible while avoiding liquid cooling systems.

I passed on Vista because I've personally witnessed compatibility problems with Vista and stuck with Windows Home. I'd give Microsoft a couple more years to work on Vista's problems, but Vista seems to me the OS version of "New Coke".

What kind of thermal paste does Digital use for the CPU's ?

The other thing I liked about Digital based on reviews is that they don't add on software junk like some other computer makers do as I use Black Viper's Windows recommendations to streamline my Windows even more.

System Configuration:
Case: Digital Storm Twister VALUE (Black Edition)
Power Supply: 500W Thermaltake (Silent PurePower Edition)
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz (Dual Core) (1 MB Cache) w/HyperTransport
Motherboard: Asus M2N-Plus SLI (Vista Edition) (nForce 5 series SLI Chipset)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 667MHz (Dual Channel)
Floppy / Media: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 160GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7900GT 256MB (Promotional Price) (While Supplies Last)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink (Copper Heatpipes)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: - No Thanks
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home (Includes Service Pack 2)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Edited by Celedhring - 19 Sep 2007 at 12:19am
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 1:41am
That's a pretty solid looking budget build.

One thing I would wonder about, is whether the cooling would be better overall with the Twister Lite case and stock cooling, versus stage 2 cooling and a value case.

If you take a look at the side view of both cases, the value case is a bit more cramped inside, so it may not get as much benefit as it otherwise might from the stage 2 cooling fan. Also. the Lite has a 120mm fan pulling air from the case and 2x 80mm in front.  Since the option for stage 2 cooling at +$49 and the option to go to the Lite case at +$55 are so close in price, I would definately ask.

That switch still leaves you at just under $900, if that was the budget you had in mind.

The other nice thing about having a larger case to work with, is if you do at some point intend to upgrade to Vista and a better graphics card with this machine, you'll probably appreaciate the extra clearance and finger room in a larger case.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 19 Sep 2007 at 2:10am
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 2:36am

What is  your budget max?

What are you going to be mainly using the PC for?

Future upgrade considerations?

Also, in my mind if i'm buying a new computer and I have to buy an OS along with it I'd rather take Vista than XP because it's relatively the same price and you won't have to pay for the upgrade later.
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx

Quote Celedhring Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 2:47am
Budget was 850ish max.

Gaming and surfing the Internet mostly. The game I most play frequently is WOW. I normally don't play first person shooters at all..mostly MMORPG's.

Video card only as far as upgrade would be Nvidia 8800 320MB at best. I didn't pick it due to budget and DirectX 10 games aren't gonna be widely played for quite a while.

Vista is a OS I'd sooner avoid until MS works out all the kinks with it especially after seeing some complaints that guildies have had about Vista compatibility with WOW...particularly with patch 2.2. At least until Microsoft irons out the kinks with Vista. From past experience with Microsoft OS's that'll be about 2 years..give or take.

I didn't know if the case had a top fan vent since hot air rises - it's not even mentioned in specific for any of the cases that I looked at.   I generally prefer cases with a top fan vent since that's more efficient cooling IMHO.

The current system I have has a top vent fan opening..and with a 7800 GS, it only goes up to 44C under load. (that's AGP though) with a side, rear and front fans as well. So no need to even bother installing an aftermarket cooler on the VGA if it's that cool with stock cooler.

Celedhring

Edited by Celedhring - 19 Sep 2007 at 2:51am
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 3:06am
Seemed like you just hit your budget with the current configuration. I don't think the twister Value case has a top fan but you do have 2 fans blowing air out back plus the PS fan. You may want to go with the 800Mhz RAM for better performance.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 8:09am
Why buy a complete new PC for a minor upgrade? Seems like a waste of money if you are just going up one performance tier in the same generation and not switching to Vista -.- Your current PC should be able to run WoW perfectly fine.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 12:38pm
OPTICAL DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!
You selected a reader, not a burner.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 8:50pm
Thermal Paste: Depends on what cooling system you go with, Stage 1 comes with the default AMD/Intel Thermal Compound (not pads), and anything higher has high quality Artic Silver compound.

Quote Celedhring Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 12:29am
My present system is a Pentium 4 Prescott 531 3.0 GHz processor with a 7800GS AGP video card.

According to both the CPU and the VPU charts on Tom's Hardware, the Digital Storm system's performance should *significantly* exceed my present system.

However, the Digital Storm system has some huge shoes to fill considering that my present system has lasted nearly four years without any major glitches aside from bad RAM.

Now that's reliability.

Celedhring
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 12:09am
That wont be a problem. We use various stress testing tools to test the stability of your machine  in a strict 72-hour run. This will weed out any problematic issues that could arise in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply