FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to Computers; Trying to Buy a Gaming PC

Post Date: 2017-04-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DWhalen View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DWhalen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New to Computers; Trying to Buy a Gaming PC
    Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 1:59pm
Hello DS community,

I am very new to computers, I've only started looking into them over the past month or two. I am not really interested in building a PC and Digital Storm looks quite reputable, so I am looking to buy one from here this summer.

Budget:
My budget is about $2,500 Canadian MAX, but I would prefer to stay around $2,000 if possible. This price is not including any accessories, which I will need to purchase later.

Expectations:
My expectations for this PC is that it is fast and reliable, but also upgradable as games change. I have never owned a desktop computer and have barely played any computer games, but from what I gather I would like for it to run most games smoothly on a 1080p monitor. I plan on having a duel monitor setup (2 x 1080p), one for gaming and the occasional video editing in programs like Sony Vegas and After Effects, while the other monitor is for simple multi-tasking.

Usage:
I plan on using this computer for gaming mostly. The games I plan on buying as of this point are H1Z1, CS:GO, and Overwatch, but I would like it to run other more advanced games if needed. I do the occasional editing of short (1-5 minutes) videos, so I would like this to be smooth as well. I do not plan on editing and playing games at the same time if that makes a difference.

Special Needs:
This computer is going to be placed in my basement likely, so while it is quite clean I would like to make sure dust doesn't effect the computer too much.

Saved Ticket #: 1653308

Specifications:

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm VANQUISH 6

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 (Turbo Up to 4.20 GHz) (Codename Kaby Lake) (Quad Core) (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W EVGA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

I would like to know if there is anything that you think is a must add for this build, as well as anything you think I could save on? Thanks in advance

David

Edited by DWhalen - 27 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 2:57am
Hi DWhalen......Welcome to the forums.

That build will give you what you want.   With your budget and the Canadian prices you don't have a lot of wiggle room for changes.

If possible I would get the gtx 1070 but the 1060 will give very good gaming on a 1080p monitor.    The 1070 does give you higher settings on the more demanding games, bit the 1060 is no slouch.

In Recovery option, select the CD.   If your drive dies, the partition won't help.

As far as dust, keep the rig off the floor so all the swirling pet hair and dust don't get picked up.

Good luck and stay in touch.
 Post Reply Post Reply