FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to PC build pls HELP !!!

Post Date: 2021-04-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
josVgiron View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote josVgiron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New to PC build pls HELP !!!
    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 3:38am
Hey I'm looking to buy my first desktop, my budget is $3,000 - $4,000. I want to use the computer for general purposes but I also want to use it for digital art as I want to make profits of my artwork so I will need something that will not get super slow like my computer does whenever I try to edit photos of my artwork in PS and LR etc. I've been working of my laptop for the longest time but I'm sick of the constant freezing and the hop lap that my laptop leaves. I do not know much about computer components, I just know basic stuff like what the cpu does but that's about it. besides photo editing for printing I'm also getting into digital art as well, I have a walcom intuos pro as a starter but if I do love and get serious or get into traditional animation I do plan to switch to a cintiq or something more expensive. Other than that I want something that is future proof to at least 10 yrs or so. I plan to pair the computer to a 4k monitor, the budget does not include this and if anyone knows a pair of cheap but beautiful monitors I would also appreciate it. SmileSmileSmile
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:51am
Here's my suggestion...

Config / Ticket #: 3867505

Digital Storm Lynx
Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (8-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti GPU)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1 x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1 x Storage (6TB Seagate / Toshiba)

Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1 x GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Software
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

When you say "traditional animation" and mention a drawing tablet, I assume 2D animation (e.g., using software such as Adobe Animate, Adobe Character Animator, Autodesk Sketchbook)

A couple of extra tidbits...

The Best Computer for Photo Editing

Backup
For the most part, this goes without saying, but I'm going to state it anyway. You'll be generating a lot of irreplaceable work. At the very least, I recommend a USB HDD for local backups of the internal storage. The backup routine will vary based on several factors. For an extra guard, you could store the external drive in a water and fireproof safe/case; backup once per hour, once per day, once per week; and even have further redundancy with offsite (e.g., cloud) backup.

Lastly, I've been struggling with monitor selection, so I'm not going to be much help there.

Edited by MrCheetah - 17 Apr 2021 at 6:36pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:30am
MrCheetah is one who knows what he's talking about when it comes to photo/art productivity. I'm not going to second-guess. You definitely want to spring for the 850W power supply, however. The last thing you need is to find you're under-powered for upgrades you may want to make later. 850W will give you all the overhead you will likely ever need.

As for monitors, there are so many to choose from, it's hard to recommend. Gaming is a very different use from productivity. 4K gaming monitors with high frame rates are very expensive, but 4K at 60Hz, which is what you would want to render static images can be very reasonable. I came across this entirely by accident, I have read that curved monitors are very good for photo work and art as they more closely mimic how the eye sees.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-32-curved-4k-uhd-monitor-s3221qs/apd/210-axkm/monitors-monitor-accessories?gacd=9694607-1003-5761040-266790354-0&dgc=st&ds_rl=1285903&gclid=CjwKCAjwjuqDBhAGEiwAdX2cj52AjoT1ayeYxrIIBgLLbz1cecJO8coG8RRbOwNGTEman585YPOe9hoCGJQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can say the Video card recommended would not be a good choice for gaming at 4K, but MrCheetah recommends it for more static viewing. Perhaps he could better advise if it can drive such a monitor as this one.

If you want to be able to game at 4K as well, I'd recommend an RTX 3070 for very good results at the lower framerates of an affordable 4k monitor.

Edited by Cretae - 17 Apr 2021 at 4:35am
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:54am
With those suggestions in mind, here's a new possible build

Config / Ticket #: 3868723

It still comes in under $3,600

Originally posted by Cretae

I'm not going to second-guess. You definitely want to spring for the 850W power supply, however. The last thing you need is to find you're under-powered for upgrades you may want to make later. 850W will give you all the overhead you will likely ever need.

I was working to restrain myself a bit. Typically, yes, my choice is to have a little extra for future-proofing, comfort, 'play' room, what have you. However, I know not everyone agrees with that attitude.

If you want to be able to game at 4K as well, I'd recommend an RTX 3070 for very good results at the lower framerates of an affordable 4k monitor.

2-D image creation/editing can utilize GPUs -- see the Animate and Animator requirements linked earlier -- although, the rendering doesn't require nearly the same 'power' as gaming and 3-D modeling. With that said, your graphics card upgrade suggestion shouldn't hurt any; it doesn't seem to break the budget, etc.

I have read that curved monitors are very good for photo work and art as they more closely mimic how the eye sees.

It's funny you mention them. I decided to buy a Samsung C27F390 for my 2012 Mac mini and -- perhaps a placebo effect -- the curve does seem to help with viewing from edge to edge. I'll eventually be upgrading to a 4K for crisper text (using Apple's Retina mode to make the UI "look like" FHD in scale (i.e., not insanely tiny)).

The latest model I've put at the top of my list is the AOC CU32V3 -- that spot has changed several times though.

Edited by MrCheetah - 17 Apr 2021 at 6:18pm
josVgiron View Drop Down

Quote josVgiron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:03pm
Thank you for the suggestion guys I think I will most likely follow the lower GPU because I honestly don't see myself gaming that much and if I do its not going to be anything to intensive but I will go for the higher power supply, the dell 4k curved monitor looks perfectly fine for what I'm doing. If I find myself lagging in the future I think I can then upgrade to a better gpu.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 3:27am
I think perhaps you have chosen wisely. In this market, there is no call for more GPU than you can use at these prices. In this build, you have upgrade paths available in both GPU and CPU if you choose. In the meantime, the speed and power you will tap into will blow your mind compared to what you're used to. I envy you that experience! You're in for a treat.

The AOC CU32V3 is not a lot more money and worth a look. Dell has had a great rep for monitors over the years, but it doesn't hurt to compare.
 Post Reply Post Reply